•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Let the antique speak for itself...

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:55 AM

So - the way ahead looks (roughly) like this:

Part 1 - (while it's too cold to paint outside)
- Clean the objective/finder lenses and do DPAC testing on them
- Work with a local machinist to fabricate the replacement drawtube (could be in brass or aluminum - I prefer brass)
- Determine the optimum method to remove dents from the OTA, then do it.
- Make two additional OTA baffles, and install them, in parallel with properly reinstalling the loose baffle. This will give the scope a four-baffle arrangement.
Once this is done, reassemble the scope for "first light" testing. Once complete:
- Strip the OTA, finder tube/rings, tube rings, focuser, and the mount/pier pieces to get them ready for repainting. Given Robert's experience in rebuilding his 4", this looks like a hand-sanding job, vice chemical stripping
- Determine what replacement hardware is needed and get it (again, could be either brass or aluminum)

Part 2 - (Late March/April - once it's consistently warm enough to paint outside)
- Prime all the above pieces (the scope originally had no primer)
- Paint (OTA - dark green; all other of the above pieces in black (finish TBD)). The finder rings are brass...will probably polish and clearcoat them.
- Refinish the tripod legs in the original color (dark reddish-brown); remove the casters (not original to the scope)

Reassemble, first light, and use!

John

Edited by John Higbee, 18 January 2019 - 03:03 AM.

• terraclarke, combatdad and jcruse64 like this

#77 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:50 AM

I didn’t see deplay at NEAF listed!

#78 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

probably in 2020!
  • deepwoods1 likes this

#79 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Hi John,
I am not surprised the mount is rock solid. Maybe you can get in touch with Clint and he can tell yo how to get in touch with the employee at the Tinsley Corp. Hopefully they have records of where and when the 3 6" refractors were manufactured and who purchased them. Doe your Astronomy club know how and from whom they acquired the telescope?

Good luck with your search,
Dan

Dan - Clint is on Facebook - I have talked with him occasionally.
Will ask him for the contact information and see what I can find out. With only three 6" Saturns manufactured, hopefully at least the dates of manufacture are available.
Who they were sold to would be an even bigger bonus, but that may not be available due to privacy issues. In any case, worth a try!
As for history of the scope...the club got it more than a few years ago "as you see it"...and the folks who might remember the transaction are not there anymore.
John

Edited by John Higbee, 19 January 2019 - 08:30 AM.

#80 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

I was leafing through Starry Nights (Leslie Peltier's autobiography) recently.
When he received the donation of the 12" Clark (and its observatory) from Miami University, he did an early star test on the objective and was horrified to see purple haloes around each of the stars in the field.
He thought that one of the elements might have been flipped in the past, reversed it, and tried again...the haloes disappeared, and the images were sharper.
Might be the case here...in any case, the DPAC we're planning to do with Johann will conclusively tell us what the proper orientation is!
John

#81 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Just happened to find one of (aveman's old threads on Tinsley from 2010.
One of the contributors posted this 2001 picture of what he thought was either a 5" or a 6" Tinsley...definitely NOT the one I have!

different 6 inch Tinsley.jpg

John
  • deepwoods1, combatdad, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#82 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

I was leafing through Starry Nights (Leslie Peltier's autobiography) recently.
When he received the donation of the 12" Clark (and its observatory) from Miami University, he did an early star test on the objective and was horrified to see purple haloes around each of the stars in the field.
He thought that one of the elements might have been flipped in the past, reversed it, and tried again...the haloes disappeared, and the images were sharper.
Might be the case here...in any case, the DPAC we're planning to do with Johann will conclusively tell us what the proper orientation is!
John

let DPAC set you freesmirk.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics