•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Let the antique speak for itself...

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for keeping this thread up! This is probably the most I've ever seen/learned about large refractors from the '40s. It seems like very little from the period survives today, even compared to 19th century telescopes.

• John Higbee likes this

#152 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

It's fun...first time for me to do a restoration this deep...and to learn about a rare version of a superlative telescope line (Tinsley Saturn).

Good karma continues...I don't have a set of the original Tinsley eyepieces, but came across a set of six late '30s eyepieces (four Mogey, two "unidentified") in a Virginia antique store...so now I have an eyepiece set from the same era as the telescope! (for more info, look at the separate topic covering it on this forum).

Attached Thumbnails

• Phase 1 3 M.jpg

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#153 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

Do you have any plans of building a backyard observatory with an equatorial mount for a permanent pier observatory? It really is a great scope but as I found out, you will not want to keep on going to various star parties and set it up and take down for too long. Besides, with the proper size GEM you could add other scopes such a wide-field aux. scopes for the whole high-power viewing and low power rich-field experience.

But regardless of what you decide, it's a great scope and a nice piece of history. Do not let the naysayers bother you with the chromatic aberation problem. I believe a minus-violet filter coupled with modern, sophisticated eyepiece designs will most likely render that problem to the point where it is undetectable by the human eye. Enjoy your beautiful scope and don't be shy about showing it off.

Clear skies and good luck!
RalphMeisterTigerMan

I do...but how the Tinsley will figure in it is "to be determined". I do intend to take it up to NEAF 2020 and display it at ATS; then take to a star party for each of the clubs I belong to (Westchester Amateur Astronomers, and NOVAC)...need to build a strong case for the OTA...another item on my list.

Edited by John Higbee, 07 February 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#154 marcyc

marcyc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern VA, USA

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

I do...but how the Tinsley will figure in it is "to be determined". I do intend to take it up to NEAF 2020 and display it at ATS; then take to a star party for each of the clubs I belong to (Westchester Amateur Astronomers, and NOVAC)...need to build a strong case for the OTA...another item on my list.

Ooooo..... Can't wait until it shows up at a NOVAC event. Give us a heads up when you plan to bring it, okay?

#155 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

Will do, Marcy! John

#156 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:18 PM

The OTA has come a long way John.  You have made great progress.  How do you plan to paint the tube?  With a spray gun?

#157 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

Hi, Johann! thanks for the compliment!

Plan right now (subject to comment and improvement): Once I get a day where the temperature will stay above 60 degrees, I plan to suspend the OTA on my homemade "painting jig" under our second story deck (this is a 1" seven foot long wooden dowel suspended by two loops of chain from the deck supports).

The jig allows me to manually turn the tube on the dowel during painting (I used it successfully when I painted the pier for the Spacek 6")

Then:

1) Two light coats of gray Rustoleum etching primer (lightly sanding each coat once it dries), followed by
2) Several thin coats of Rustoleum blue gray enamel (the same shade that Robert used on his 4" Tinsley resurrection)
3) I'll also be painting the focuser assembly by hand (not on the jig) using the same sequence as for the OTA.

The balance of the scope:
* Tripod Legs: lightly sand the legs, then restain with a mahogany stain that closely matches the original
* OTA Rings: sand, prime and paint with Rustoleum black enamel
* Finder rings: paint to match the OTA
* Finder (no paint necessary - I found a match for the original finder that I will use (will restore the original finder after I finish the major restoration))
* The diagonal drawtube and the straight drawtube - leave as is (honorable usage scars)
* The objective cell - leave as is (honorable usage scars)
* The alt-az fork mount, tripod hub, and rising pier mechanism: sand/prime where necessary, then spray with Rustoleum black enamel
* Rising pier braces to legs: sand, prime and paint with black Rustoleum enamel
* Rising pier handwheel: sand and paint the same shade as the OTA

I am going to replace aluminum hardware where feasible with brass (dress up the scope a little bit). Finally, I need to make an OTA box to allow for safe travel to NEAF.

So, I'll be busy over the next 6-7 weeks! John

Attached Thumbnails

• spacek 6.jpg

Edited by John Higbee, 09 February 2020 - 08:54 PM.

• George N, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#158 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

How soon do you need the box?

#159 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

Johann - The last week in March...(NEAF is the first weekend in April). Any advice on how to do this will be gratefully accepted! John

#160 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

We could build it together John.  I have all the woodworking tools we need.  Do not know how fancy you want the box and what else besides the scope you want to store in the box.

• deepwoods1 and John Higbee like this

#161 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:38 PM

Johann - that would be great! Will give you a call/e-mail to discuss...main emphasis would be hitting an optimum point giving the necessary strength while preserving "handle-ability" (if that's even a word)! Might require a second smaller box to store the objective/cell, finder, eyepieces and the focuser assembly, in order to cut down on the >90" length and overall size of the assembled OTA. Looking forward to doing this with you...and really appreciate your help! thanks, John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics