•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 Eastern Iowa Star Party

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Hi all!

We are still in the process of figuring out what guest speakers to have this year... I know... time is getting near!

Along with a great time, we will have munchies and Midnight Chili... and an indoor facility with both Men's and Women's restrooms...

The event will be held at the St. Ambrose University Menke Observatory as usual, and for 2019, it will be held from Sept 27 thru Sept 29th...

https://goo.gl/maps/Q7bQZUQMSNB2

As we have limited space (about 50 participants), we fill up quickly, so IM me for details and/or pre-registration!

Clear Skies

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018 EISP Obs Fld LyOt.jpg

#2 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Cost?

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

Depending on who we end up with for guest speakers... from free to maybe $25.00 this year... if ya want a bunk or have an RV, I'll need to ck on fees... small tents on the observation field for sleeping is free

#4 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

What about for a large tent and canopy? grin.gif 

• Jeff Struve likes this

#5 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

There is an adjacent area for larger tents... maybe 1 block away... maybe closer... 

#6 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Kinda like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• 09 Camping Locations Medium.jpg

#7 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

Hi all!

I am working on the 3 guest speakers for our Sept 27-29 Eastern Iowa Star Party....

One works with the data collected on stars that Kepler, K2, and TESS observe(d) - using stellar oscillations (and in some case, rotation) to characterize the stars and tell us more about the history of their planetary systems.

A second studies the formation, interior structure, and evolution of exoplanets. The main goals of her research group are to deepen the current understanding of the rich physics governing sub-Neptune-size planet interiors, to discover bulk composition trends in the growing census of known exoplanets, and to connect these composition trends back to distinct planet formation pathways.

The third is an amateur astronomer who will show us how to use modest gear to collect data and input that data into software that will show Exoplanet transits.

We are limited to about 50 participants and take reservations on a first pay first stay basis.

This years star party fee is $20 per attendee plus $10 if you need electricity run to your reserved spot. We will have a charging station or two for use during the day if you want to run on batteries at night.

IM me ASAP if you want a registration form!

Clear Skies!
Jeff

#8 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

If ya want to check out a bit on what happened at EISP last year...

https://www.cloudyni...owa-star-party/

https://www.cloudyni...rn#entry8832896

Clear Skies!

Jeff

#9 oldtimer

oldtimer

Vanguard

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

Where can I get a registration form and where do I send it?

• Jeff Struve likes this

#10 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

Hi all!

On 6/15 I sent an email out to those that sent me their email address for pre-registration.

The event is Sept 27-29 at the Menke Observatory just outside of Dixon Iowa. $20 get you a reserved spot and an additional $10 gets you a power cable run to that spot. If you just need a power station to recharge, there are a number of places to do this at no extra fee.

I'm still working on guest speakers... and door prizes...

If you didn't get the 6/15 email, and wish to 'pre-register' Pleas IM with your email address.

Thanx!

#11 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

If you didn't get your pre-registration email, PM me with your email address!

We have room for about 50 attendees, and about 21 are spoken for...

We have 2 of 3 guest speakers ready and working on a third! 

Oh... for the $20 fee, you get a door prize ticket and a raffle ticket for a new 102mm F7 AstroTec Doublet!

• txmnjim likes this

#12 marco_liu

marco_liu

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:07 AM

Jeff, 

I'd like to sign up. Please advise on the registration procedure. Thanks.

Marco

• Jeff Struve likes this

#13 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Hi all!

Just a high level update...

Sept 27 - 29 2019

Menke Observatory at the Wapsi River Educational and Environmental Center in Dixon, Iowa.

• $20 registration - plus $10 if you want electricity at your spot - comes with a raffle ticket for a new 102mm Doublet. Extra tickets are $10 each or 2 for $15.
  • 2 or 3 guest speakers on Saturday afternoon all speaking on various aspects of Exoplanets.
  • The Popular Astronomy Club's Mobile Observatory will be there (PACMo) for you to check out.
  • Midnight Chilli one night and Midnight Stew another - Other munchies and beverages available on site.

I sent out pre-registrations and will be sending out the application form to the pre-registrants before the end of next week! Spots are limited to 50 and over 30 are filled at this time so IM me ASAP if interested and you didn't get an email from me!

Jeff

#14 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

If you are interested in attending the 2019 Eastern Iowa Star Party.... Sept 27-29 at the Menke Observatory in Dixon, Iowa... but have not yet sent registration information or payment yet, we only have a handful of spots yet available, so act now!

Registrations received or post marked after Saturday, September 21st will need to include a $15.00 per registrant late application fee! This does not guarantee that we will have room for you! If we receive payment, and spaces are filled and we cant accommodate you, you will receive a full refund.

If you intend on attending, please IM me with the below information when you mail payment.

Info:

Full Name:
Email Address:
Phone Number:
Street Address:
City, State:
Zip Code:
Type of astronomy (Visual, AP, EAA):

Fees:

$20 Per Registrant - $
$10 AC power to plot - $
$10 each two for $15 Extra raffle tickets - $
$15 Late fee if after 9/21 - $
Observatory  Relocation Donation - $

Total Due: $

• Please make checks payable to the Quad Cities Astronomical Society

• In the memo, write 2019 EISP
• Send your Eastern Iowa Star registration payment to:

Quad Cities Astronomical Society
P.O. Box 3706
Davenport, Iowa

A few things to note...

• It would be advisable to bring a laptop and a flash drive... I'll have some free software and data for you to use as part of a presentation
• If you are having electricity to your spot, it would be appreciated if you could bring a 25' or 50' or 100' power cable

Generally folks start arriving around 1pm on Friday... we direct them to their spot... they set up and we all chit chat until that evening. We generally have an announced 30 minute white light time around 11:30 PM for folks that don't do astronomy later than that and want to leave... we'll have midnight chili....

Saturday morning folks generally sleep in or arrive from leaving the previous night... some folks go into Dixon and have lunch at the Legion... about 1 pm we'll meet at the Assembly hall about a block away from the observatory...  we'll do some door prize drawings... then have a guest speaker (Steve Kawaler, pictured)... do some more door prizes... another speaker (Me, not pictured for good reason whistling.gif )... more door prizes and then the raffle for the scope (pictured)... then head back to our gear and to dinner... again we have a white light time around 11:30... Check out is around 11 am Sunday... although we may be persuaded to go Sunday night too!

Clear Skies!

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190716_123045.jpg
  • Steve Kawaler_resized.jpg

#15 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

Why force people to leave by 11 A.M. Sunday? Those staying up late on Saturday night will have very little sleep before having to tear down camp and then spend who knows how many hours on the road dead tired! An accident waiting to happen. It's enough to prevent me from attending.

#16 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

Why force people to leave by 11 A.M. Sunday? Those staying up late on Saturday night will have very little sleep before having to tear down camp and then spend who knows how many hours on the road dead tired! An accident waiting to happen. It's enough to prevent me from attending.

Leaving late morning has been successful for us as we were full up and turned down folks last year...

This year we are again near full capacity...

As a side note... we are unofficially letting folks hold over for Sunday night and for leaving Monday...

Hoping this will help the hardcore folks!

#17 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

EMAIL SENT TO REGISTRANT YESTERDAY:

Hi all!

The star party is less than a week off... it starts this Friday! Exciting!

Basic info:

Normal star party courtesy stuff like we prefer no pets on the observation field or in the facility buildings... no illegal stuff... alcohol, if any, under control... prefer no green laser use in respect to our imagers... no white lights, and even during our white light period they should be kept to a minimum...

Other stuff:

Generally folks start arriving around 1pm on Friday... we direct them to their spot... they set up and we all chit chat until that evening. We generally have an announced 30 minute white light time around 11:30 PM for folks that dont do astronomy later than that and want to leave... we'll have midnight chili....

Saturday morning folks generally sleep in or arrive from leaving the previous night... some folks go into Dixon and have breakfast and/or lunch at the Legion... at 1 pm we'll meet at the Assembly hall about a block away from the observatory...  we'll do some door prize drawings... then have a guest speaker... do some more door prizes... another speaker... more door prizes. If we have a third speaker it will happen next, and then the raffle... then we head back to our gear and to dinner... again we have a white light time around 11:30... Check out is around 1 pm Sunday... although we may be persuaded to go Sunday night too!

A few things to note...

It would be appropriate, but not mandatory to bring a laptop and a flash drive to the Assembly room on Saturday, as for my presentation, I'll have free software and data for you to use as part of the presentation.If you are having electricity to your spot, it would be appreciated if you could bring a 25' or 50' or 100' power cable.

Google Map to Menke Observatory:

https://maps.app.goo...dqu7tsDsrACZ777

Map for Assembly Room - The attached pic shows you, by yellow hand drawn arrow, where the Assembly Room is... I'm guessing a block or 2 walk from the observatory.

Please do a reply to all if you have questions... others may have them too!

Clear Skies!
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15692026527200.jpg

#18 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:39 PM

Hi all!

More info and stuff!

I have attached the layout of the observation field assignments...

Regarding all of the events and guest speakers and such... All the speakers and drawings will be on Saturday afternoon...

At this time, Steve K. will speak around 1:00... then around 2:15 Grant H. may give a talk... not sure. I will go around 3:30... if Grant doesnt give a talk, I'll be around 2:30... remember a laptop and flash drive may be handy for my talk!

Before and after the speakers we will do door prizes and at the end do the raffle for the scope... additional raffle tickets for the scope will be available on Friday and Saturday at $10 each or two for $15...

Jan R. has been a vendor at OkieTex Star Party the past few years selling her astro art including jewelry, paintings, painted ceramic coasters, quilted table runners, etc... she will have misc items there for purchase....

We had decided not to have a formal swap meet, but if anyone wants to bring used items they have for sale, bring them.  You could have a list of items you want to sell or you could set up a table by your observing site or you could bring them to the Assembly Room during the presentations.

Lastly... if we have weather issues I'm hoping to show a SciFi movie or 2... we'll see!

Clear Skies!
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15693861841380.jpg
  • 15693861842601.jpg

#19 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

Please check your email, or Facebook, or Cloudy Nights Forums or our web site for weather updates for Friday!

Saturday afternoon guest speakers and drawings will not be cancelled.

Again, watch for an update before leaving for the event!

Clear Skies!

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15695533597680.jpg

#20 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:28 AM

Well here is the sad scoop...

We are going to cancel the Friday and Friday night activities.

We WILL hold Saturday afternoon activities... this includes the guest speakers, door prizes and the raffle for the scope.

At this time we are NOT cancelling Saturday nite or the offer to extend your stay for Sunday night too.... BUT this is on the condition that 1) we aren't rained out again AND 2) that observation field conditions allow us to safely and non-destructively drive on the field.

I will say that Saturday nite is not looking any better than Friday night, and if there is rain again on Sunday morning, there is a better than 50/50 chance that if Sunday nite allows for astronomy, that the field wont be accessible...

We will go day by day before making decisions, so watch your email... our QCAS - Quad Cities Astronomical Society Facebook page... our Eastern Iowa Star Party Facebook page... our Eastern Iowa Star Party Cloudy Nights Forums topic... or our website at www.QCAstro.org

Apologies, but in the future....

Clear Skies!
Jeff

#21 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:30 PM

Hi all!

So for tomorrow, Saturday, we will do the afternoon events as scheduled... 

We'll start around 1 p.m., and have our guest speakers, door prizes and the raffle for the scope.... and just a reminder that a laptop and flash drive may be handy...

...Instead of midnight chili, which was supposed to be Friday night, or midnight stew, which was supposed to be Saturday night, we will have chili and deer summer sausage and crackers, and munchies at the Saturday afternoon activities in the Assembly Hall.

Saturday afternoon we will decide on whether or not we can do astronomy that night... and it isnt looking promising the least bit...

Sunday late morning/early afternoon we will make a call on having open astronomy that night... we may have a bit of clear skies, but it will depend on how soggy the observation field is...

Hopefully we'll have better skies next year... generally September is a great month... so for next year, our unofficial date will be the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of September 17th...

Clear Skies!
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15692026527200.jpg

#22 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

Great afternoon event!

Steve and Grant gave incredible presentations, thanx you guys!!! My presentation seemed to be well received too... not much snoring!...

We gave away 18 nice door prizes which included a new pair of Celestron binoculars, a Televue Barlow, an Explore  Scientific Extender, a real nice guide scope, and a meteorite necklace.

And congrats to Mitch Milani, who with a little help from Rusty, won the new 102mm f7 Astrotek doublet!

We had our first vendor at Eastern Iowa Star Party this year, Jan brought quite a few nice astronomy related items like jewelry, and coasters, and some pictures! Grant had a number of meteorites also for sale, some raw, some polished, and some in jewelry form too!

I think all had chili for lunch or supper, feasted on Rusty's deer sausage, and the many munchies that were available.

Of course the weather did not cooperate for doing any astronomy tonight, but hopefully we'll get a bit of clearing tomorrow. Who knows!

Speaking of bad weather, Tom H won the rubber chicken award for buying the last piece of new gear, which we decided caused all of this bad weather! Thanks to Tom too!

Speaking of Thanx... thanx to Celestron, Orion, Televue, Field Tested Systems, TOPSS, George, Rolando, and Sam for their generous prize donations!

Keep posted!

Clear Skies,
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15697241029386.jpg
  • 15697241029075.jpg
  • 15697240905244.jpg
  • 15697240904763.jpg
  • 15697240806782.jpg
  • 15697240806441.jpg
  • 15697240804870.jpg

• Illinois likes this

#23 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Who knows... maybe we can do some astronomy on this last EISP night?

Since this isn't an official EISP only event... QCAS, PAC, and CAA folks can attend too!

Humidity might be really high... and I'll need to check the observation field for water cover...

I'll let everyone know early this afternoon... in the meantime, if you are interested, please comment on the Facebook Eastern Iowa Star Party page as such!

Clear Skies,
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 15697691171770.jpg

#24 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:29 PM

Well,

I spent the last couple of hours at the Observatory cleaning up... it's been raining and drizzling all day, and I was told we had more than 2" of rain here last night...

The grounds are pretty mushy, and although the forecast, although worse than I posted early, shows some clearing, we wont be going out to Menke tonite...

Apologies!

Let's hope for better next year...

Hold your calendar open for attending the 2020 EISP... tentatively scheduled for September 18 19, and 20th.

Clear Skies!
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 23032633_1510765035675844_2142615142110616952_n.jpg

• Illinois and dmdouglass like this

#25 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

Well,

I spent the last couple of hours at the Observatory cleaning up... it's been raining and drizzling all day, and I was told we had more than 2" of rain here last night...

The grounds are pretty mushy, and although the forecast, although worse than I posted early, shows some clearing, we wont be going out to Menke tonite...

Apologies!

Let's hope for better next year...

Hold your calendar open for attending the 2020 EISP... tentatively scheduled for September 18 19, and 20th.

Clear Skies!
Jeff

frown.gif

• Jeff Struve likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics