•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nexstar 6SE computerized telescope + PHD2 guiding?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 f430

f430

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Can this scope, and other similar Celestron scopes be connected to PHD2 guiding?

And does it do any good to guide one of these alt/az scopes?

A friend has one of these scopes and has been trying imaging with it, but is limited to about 20 second exposures due to field rotation.

He knows the scope is far from optimal, but alt/az is all he can use from his condo location.

He uses Nebulosity 4 to image, and has a guide scope and camera, but has not been able to connect to PHD2.

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be more than welcome!

Thanks, John

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

As you noted, why even bother guiding when all you can shoot is 20 sec subs........

But why is a condo contradictive to an EQ  mount ???  If "your friend" has room to set up an SE on it's alt/az mount, there's room for it on an EQ mount.

#3 f430

f430

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

The idea was that with guiding, he might be able to do longer than 20 second subs. But for whatever reason, the mount and PHD2 don't seem to be able to connect. Which brings us back to the original question of, is it possible for this mount and PHD2 to connect to one another? Programs and Drivers are installed, and he's been imaging with Nebulosity for about a year now. So I guess the question might be; Is this mount capable of connecting the PHD2?

As for your condo EQ / alt/az question; His place is on the third floor, with a wooden balcony that faces East, he can't see Polaris to polar align, and even if he could, when he steps onto or off of the balcony it flexes enough to negate any alignment, including drift aligning. He lives at the beach, so due to the salt air needs to put his mount out then bring it back in every night. 

With this Celestron mount, he need only set it out on the balcony, plug it in and turn it on, then step off the balcony. The mount then aligns itself to some stars, etc and is ready to go.

If it could connect to PHD2 for guiding, maybe he could do longer than 20 sec subs, which brings back the question as to whether it can be connected to and interface with PHD2 for guiding? 

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows the answer grin.gif

#4 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

I asked the same question sometime ago and was told that the Celestron se mounts could not be guided. I do not believe any ALT/AZ mount can be guided due to mechanical limitations. I had an 8se Mount and 20 seconds was about the best I could do also. 

As as far as the eq mount limitation goes Celestron eq mounts have the all star polar alignment routine which does not require a view of Polaris and works pretty well. Sharpcap can also polar align without a good view of Polaris but I believe you need to be close. 

Edited by neaptide, 07 January 2019 - 08:00 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#5 f430

f430

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Thanks neaptide, I'll pass this on to my friend.

#6 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

The 6se does have an autoguide port.

At the native 1500 focal length that scope can be a challenge for even a low end GEM mount.

But what you can get the adapter to piggyback a DSLR camera on the mount.

Then guide through the main scope and take pictures with the dslr.

At about 100mm to 200mm you can probably get decent shots -- you would have to test for exposure limit.

But best to invest in a equatorial mount.

Edited by ks__observer, 08 January 2019 - 06:07 AM.

#7 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

PHD2, and any ASCOM compatible software, can connect to the Nexstar 6 SE using NexRemote on PC, and either a USB Cable to the Hand Controller, or SkyQLink if you have the SkyPortal WiFi Module.

Guiding on a Wedge certainly, but I don't know how successful in Alt/Az.  Now I'm curious, I'll have to give it a try myself waytogo.gif

I suspect if there is any success to be had at all, it would be through ASCOM Pulse Guiding, not ST-4.

#8 f430

f430

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

Thank you David,

I'll pass this info on to him.

And if you give it a try with your equipment, please let me know the results!

Thanks, John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics