•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I need your help. Old Celestron 8

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 step4tac

step4tac

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi there,

Let me start by saying, I don't know anything about this field and after reading the forums for a while, I have to say, I feel like a complete noob.

A friend of mine gave me his old telecope.

He moved overseas and couldnt take it with him; now I am looking to sell the unit.

My friend mentioned that the telescope comes with a controller and some motors. I found that it has two motors in the base (and for some strange reason there are two motors in the very oldschool cary-suit-case) - but there is nothing else. No controller, no cables, etc..  

Some people that I have spoken to says that the telescope is worthless without these items.

Do you think this is true ?

Any idea where I could source these accesories ? - (not even sure what it is called, thus in this case Google has not been my friend)

Also; any suggestions on where and how much I could sell the telescope for ? - I am scared that someone will rip me off because I don't understand the value of these items.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

Steve

photo_2019-01-07_23-17-37.jpg

photo_2019-01-07_23-17-32.jpg

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

if the mirrors and corrector are in good condition, you could always de-fork the scope and add a dovetail and use it that way.  it's an AC drive so I don't know what that would be worth as a separate item to sell off, but C8's are pretty nice scopes, even the older ones.  in fact, many feel the orange tuber versions are better than current.

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

I have the 5 inch version, and you probably only need a power cord. There is controller box for adjusting tracking speed, ie sidereal, lunar, solar and King speeds. And is not necessary for observational use. The declination is adjusted using the knob on top of fork on one side, and the right ascension is adjusted using knob on the base. Both knobs have lever clamps to hold telescope position during tracking. And, loosening them allows you to move telescope by hand. Try to keep a complete setup, as it would be a shame to de-fork an old classic. If replacement power cord isn't found, they can be made.

• step4tac likes this

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Yes.  All you need is a power cord.  You have it as it came from Celestron (assuming there's an eyepiece and diagonal prism on the back of it; show us a picture of its back end!).  There are optional speed controllers but you don't need one for visual use.

The power cord was also used on some other appliances in the 1970s; try an appliance-parts store.

I recommend keeping it intact because it's old enough to be collectible.

• Jon Isaacs, Adam S, Augustus and 1 other like this

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

I would say, very roughly, it's worth a few hundred dollars, depending on whether the mirror has started to deteriorate.   I have the 5-inch version.

• ToxMan, Augustus and step4tac like this

#6 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

It appears you can still get a power cord to fit here:  https://www.sphere.b.../wallwarts.html

There were a lot of those scopes made.  They really aren't worth a whole lot on the market but they can bring a lot of enjoyment.  I recently bought a fully loaded one (set up for astrophotography with all the doodads of the era) and a couple of Brandon eyepieces for under $300.

• Augustus and step4tac like this

#7 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

The value depends upon a great many things.  The issues you have are three fold.

First is the fact it need to be cleaned up.  HOWEVER, do NOT attempt to clean any optical surfaces without knowing what you're doing.  It's easier to cause damage than not (but it's hard, and we can help you through that if you clean everything else).

Second, you don't seem to have the power cord.  Can't tell if the motors work without it.  Checking if they work is pretty easy.

Third, if you don't have some accessories it needs, it hurts the value some.  The accessories needed (which you may or may not have) are a visual back, and star diagonal, and eyepieces.  Take a photo of the back of the scope and we can at least see if you have a visual back.

Valuing a C8 is tough because they sell for a wide range of prices.  Some people come across sweetheart deals all the time and others never do.  

Given what I can see, assuming the optics are fine (may need cleaning, I can see the finder scope optics do), when cleaned up the value should be between $350 and $450.  If there is anything else you have that is not in these pictures, we really need to see pics of them to narrow down the valuation.  In its current condition, with what I can see, I'd probably not pay more than $250-275 (if I were in the market).

• ToxMan, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#8 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

These scopes did not come with any controller box or hand controller as standard issue.   The scope looks like it just needs some cleaning up.  $350 would be a fair selling price IMO. 

Edited by petert913, 07 January 2019 - 06:06 PM.

• Michael Covington, Augustus and step4tac like this

#9 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

These scopes did not come with any controller box or hand controller as standard issue.   The scope looks like it just needs some cleaning up.  $350 would be a fair selling price IMO. 

Right. I think that whoever told you it was useless without a controller was thinking of much newer telescopes.

BTW, the motors will not seem to be turning visibly.  Their purpose is to make the mount track the stars by revolving 1 revolution per 24 hours.  Leave it running for about an hour with the RA clamp locked and see if it moves.

The instruction booklet for this telescope is on line; maybe someone can tell us where.

#10 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Welcome aboard       you obviously came to the right place.    consider keeping it and using it  it could be a lot of fun for you   then if you decide to sell    no harm done

#11 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

BTW, the motors will not seem to be turning visibly.  Their purpose is to make the mount track the stars by revolving 1 revolution per 24 hours.  Leave it running for about an hour with the RA clamp locked and see if it moves.

The RA clamp is the black clamp on the base of the forks.  It locks the movement down so the only movement is from the motors turning the drive gear.

In your second photo is NOT the one one the fork, but the one on the top of the base.

#12 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

Instruction manual:   http://www.company7....8manual1971.pdf

• Geo31, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#13 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Some more pics of the other accessories would be helpful. Also take off the front cover and get some pics of the glass and the tripod. What you have is a desirable collector's piece but only for the right people. (like many of us, lol)

Actual value can vary depending upon the accessories and how the glass is. Search for a serial number as that can help us nail down when it was made.

#14 step4tac

step4tac

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

WOW! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time and trouble to reply.  The feedback has been totally overwhelming!

I will in the next day or so pick up on some of the indivdual issues each of you raised! -- Much appreciated. This is a great community! You are all awesome.

#15 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

I highly, highly recommend not selling the telescope until you have observed with it. You never know; you may love astronomy, and just not know it yet! These old Orange Tube C8s are the ultimate sleeper telescopes. Because they are sealed (there is a glass plate across the front, rather than their being open to the air), the mirrors are generally well preserved. If that is the case with yours, you have an instrument that is of little monetary value, yet is, for visual astronomy, as good as anything you could buy new, for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. If you find you love astronomy, you will want other telescopes in addition, but only for reasons that would be quite nerdy to describe today. Suffice it to say that the classic C8 is about the best all-around telescope you could find, and you already have one. Join your local astronomy club. Its members will happily teach you how to use your C8. 

The Jones cord that you need to power the base is easily available on Ebay. They are made brand-new for this purpose, or you may find an old one. 

If you live in a cold climate, you may find that the telescope's mount freezes in winter. That can be fixed, by removing, cleaning, and replacing the forty-year-old grease lubricating the mount and motors. 

I do hope you'll keep the telescope on its fork mount. You do not need a new mount to use it yourself. If you sell, you will find a buyer with a special interest in classic telescopes. As you can see from this forum, classic telescopes are a hobby within the larger field of amateur astronomy. We like the old stuff as it is! 

• bremms, Michael Covington, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#16 Jay Lawson

Jay Lawson

Lift Off

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

It appears you can still get a power cord to fit here:  https://www.sphere.b.../wallwarts.html

There were a lot of those scopes made.  They really aren't worth a whole lot on the market but they can bring a lot of enjoyment.  I recently bought a fully loaded one (set up for astrophotography with all the doodads of the era) and a couple of Brandon eyepieces for under $300.

I emailed them today. They are out of these cords and do not know when they will get more.

Jay
  • OleCuss likes this

#17 Jay Lawson

Jay Lawson

Lift Off

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

The Jones cord that you need to power the base is easily available on Ebay. They are made brand-new for this purpose, or you may find an old one.

They are currently available on eBay under https://www.ebay.com...UoAAOSwGPxaHwSk

with a description of:
NEW TRI-STATE ELECTRONICS CORP. OLD STYLE OVAL POWER CORD
•8 Foot
•115v/7A
•Dark Gray
•Part # 6994
  • OleCuss likes this

#18 Jay Lawson

Jay Lawson

Lift Off

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

They are currently available on eBay under https://www.ebay.com...UoAAOSwGPxaHwSk

with a description of:
NEW TRI-STATE ELECTRONICS CORP. OLD STYLE OVAL POWER CORD
•8 Foot
•115v/7A
•Dark Gray
•Part # 6994

Here is a second eBay source for the Belden LL14847 part number.
https://www.ebay.com...More/1123839835
  • bremms likes this

#19 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

PM sent.

#20 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

Here is a second eBay source for the Belden LL14847 part number.
https://www.ebay.com...More/1123839835

I always seem to be short on these cords. Have two that use them, I have one cord. Have three that use them, I have two cords. I have an early C8 with the Jones plug and would like to convert it to a standard IEC cord.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics