•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starwave 102ED f11 (yes, ED)

• Please log in to reply
598 replies to this topic

#526 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

Instead of buying a pillar extension, consider getting a second scope. laugh.gif

[in this position the refractor is the heavier side.....its sitting too far out.....but this is the maximum length of the single rod without extension]

pillar1.jpg

pillar2.jpg

• vkhastro1 likes this

#527 Binofrac

Binofrac

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

With this long focal length, is it really worth paying a lot for eyepieces? I generally use the BST Starguider range in my F11 achro which seem to me pretty good and would show a better view in this ED scope (I'm tempted, oh so tempted). I've no experience of much else eyepiece wise. For those who have this scope what eyepieces do you think give the sharpest, most contrasting view? I'm not concerned for the moment about field of view or eye relief.

• Don Taylor and jag767 like this

#528 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

With this long focal length, is it really worth paying a lot for eyepieces? I generally use the BST Starguider range in my F11 achro which seem to me pretty good and would show a better view in this ED scope (I'm tempted, oh so tempted). I've no experience of much else eyepiece wise. For those who have this scope what eyepieces do you think give the sharpest, most contrasting view? I'm not concerned for the moment about field of view or eye relief.

my es 82s are tack sharp in mine, as is my 40mm 68°. At f11 its going to be quite forgiving.
  • Astrojensen and Binofrac like this

#529 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

My 22mm panoptic gives the best view.

#530 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

I've used all kinds of eyepieces in mine and everything works just fine. It's a very forgiving scope on eyepieces, as jag767 says.  

For the sharpest, best possible contrast views, simply get the best eyepieces you can afford. The optics in this scope are good enough to let you see the difference. I recently came across a really fine 3x barlow (probably GSO) that gives uncommonly sharp views along with my 4.7mm ES82. That's 716x and the views I had of Vega and Delta Cygni were just textbook perfect. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Don Taylor and Bomber Bob like this

#531 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

Martyn:

I have the 102F11 Achro as well as the Starwave 102F11ED. As Thomas and Jag767 have said - this scope is very forgiving on eyepieces.

I have not tested all my (45+) eyepieces in the 102F11ED but - eyepieces I like in the Achro I like just as well in the ED.  None of my eyepieces are poor performers in this scope (so far).

Favorites?  Well - all the ES68 and ES82 are great, as are the TV Naglers, Plossls, and Radian.  But (perhaps strangely) I like the BST Flat Field eyepieces as they are very comfortable, and if I'm looking for fine details on the Moon I use the Fujiyama Orthos.

My advice?  - Enjoy your Starguiders! 

Edited by Don Taylor, 28 August 2019 - 06:18 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#532 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

Out of curiousity, anyone have the ability to have a shootout with this ota, something like a tak 100mm, and/or a skywatcher 120ed doublet? I'm inclined to believe this will hang with a premium optics its size, and be closer than expected next to a 120ed.

#533 Binofrac

Binofrac

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone. My question was prompted by a hole in my eyepiece collection between 8 and 18mm. There is a BST 12mm but I fancied trying something different. I'm at an astronomy festival at the weekend and so will look carefully at the ES range.

Don,

As you have both scopes have you done a side by side comparison of the views? I'd be interested to know how they compare. Is it night and day or just slightly better for the ED?

• Don Taylor likes this

#534 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone. My question was prompted by a hole in my eyepiece collection between 8 and 18mm. There is a BST 12mm but I fancied trying something different. I'm at an astronomy festival at the weekend and so will look carefully at the ES range.

Don,

As you have both scopes have you done a side by side comparison of the views? I'd be interested to know how they compare. Is it night and day or just slightly better for the ED?

No - not yet. I do have enough suitable mounts and accessories to do so. Just have not taken the time.  I like the Achro very much but I must admit that I have't used it since the ED arrived.

It's  Holiday weekend here in the US - I might have an opportunity to do a comparison.

Edited by Don Taylor, 28 August 2019 - 06:47 PM.

• Binofrac likes this

#535 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

I always used Orthoscopics when testing the Achro f/11,s. I've still not tried the ED version.

Glen.

#536 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

Any comparisons of the 102mm F11 ED to something like a 102mm F7 ED/APO with respect to color correction? I'm curious how this scope would compare to something like the Stellarvue 102mm F7 for example.

Very best,

#537 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

Any comparisons of the 102mm F11 ED to something like a 102mm F7 ED/APO with respect to color correction? I'm curious how this scope would compare to something like the Stellarvue 102mm F7 for example.

Very best,

Only thing I could add is right before this I had an astrotech 106 which is a 106mm f6 fpl53 triplet for those who aren't familiar. Although I cannot compare them directly, I can say I don't feel like I lost anything in the view at all.
  • vkhastro1, Bomber Bob and MalVeauX like this

#538 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:40 AM

thumbnail_IMG_0433.jpg Hi getting dangerously near the open air, the Lyra complete with ED objective and the original Kumming focuser, please excuse the mess.

cheers Gordon

Edited by seafury, 02 September 2019 - 01:41 AM.

• GlenM, Astrojensen and eros312 like this

#539 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

what mess?

#540 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:28 AM

what mess?

I just hope my wife doesn't find out I posted a photo with those few books etc lying around,I shall be straight in for retraining on my housework skills :)

• GlenM likes this

#541 jag767

jag767

• Vendors

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

Just picked up a skywatcher 9mm 120° eyepiece in the classifieds to try out in mine. They seem to have been reviewed pretty positively by people even at f5, so at f11 I'd wager it will be phenomenal. Sky conditions here are generally not great, not too often I can push beyond that magnification anyhow, so its kind of ideal.
  • Astrojensen likes this

#542 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

attachicon.gif thumbnail_IMG_0433.jpgHi getting dangerously near the open air, the Lyra complete with ED objective and the original Kumming focuser, please excuse the mess.

cheers Gordon

Looking good, Gordon.

Glen.

#543 Binofrac

Binofrac

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

attachicon.gif thumbnail_IMG_0433.jpgHi getting dangerously near the open air, the Lyra complete with ED objective and the original Kumming focuser, please excuse the mess.

cheers Gordon

F11 102mm ED with a rotating focuser. Who could want for more? The search for the ED lens cell only to retrofit my achro has so far proved fruitless.

#544 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

F11 102mm ED with a rotating focuser. Who could want for more? The search for the ED lens cell only to retrofit my achro has so far proved fruitless.

Give it a little time. It usually takes a while, after a new far-east telescope has been introduced, before the lens cell becomes available. 

Eventually used scopes will also become available at a reduced price (presumably!). Unless, of course, that these scopes turn out to be so good and so popular, that few wants to part with them and second hand prices will be high. There's actually a real chance of that, based on owner's reports. I have absolutely zero intent of ever parting with mine. A 4" scope that delivers textbook sharp airy disk images at 716x is not one you should let go easily. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• vkhastro1 and Bomber Bob like this

#545 Binofrac

Binofrac

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

Give it a little time. It usually takes a while, after a new far-east telescope has been introduced, before the lens cell becomes available. 

Eventually used scopes will also become available at a reduced price (presumably!). Unless, of course, that these scopes turn out to be so good and so popular, that few wants to part with them and second hand prices will be high. There's actually a real chance of that, based on owner's reports. I have absolutely zero intent of ever parting with mine. A 4" scope that delivers textbook sharp airy disk images at 716x is not one you should let go easily. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

With a bit of luck the range may be refreshed after a year or two and the rotating focuser may return. It will take a couple of years for me to part with the cash.

• Astrojensen likes this

#546 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

Hi,  "A 4" scope that delivers textbook sharp airy disk images at 716x is not one you should let go easily." that is until some idiot goes fiddling with it :)

cheers Gordon (idiot)

• Astrojensen likes this

#547 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi,  "A 4" scope that delivers textbook sharp airy disk images at 716x is not one you should let go easily." that is until some idiot goes fiddling with it smile.gif

cheers Gordon (idiot)

Well, this particular idiot has previously rescued and collimated a WO 72mm f/6 ED that another idiot had fiddled with... wink.gif  Recollimating a 4" f/11 doesn't faze me at all. 

There is nothing more dangerous to a telescope than an overzealous amateur astronomer with a screwdriver and more enthusiasm than knowledge. 

Which is probably why the makers of the 4" f/11 ED found it prudent to seal the objective retaining ring with laquer... I'll let you guess how I know. whistling.gif

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• eros312, Don Taylor, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#548 seafury

seafury

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

"There is nothing more dangerous to a telescope than an overzealous amateur astronomer with a screwdriver and more enthusiasm than knowledge."

you know me so well :)

• Astrojensen likes this

#549 Binofrac

Binofrac

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:26 AM

Well, this particular idiot has previously rescued and collimated a WO 72mm f/6 ED that another idiot had fiddled with... wink.gif  Recollimating a 4" f/11 doesn't faze me at all. 

There is nothing more dangerous to a telescope than an overzealous amateur astronomer with a screwdriver and more enthusiasm than knowledge. 

Which is probably why the makers of the 4" f/11 ED found it prudent to seal the objective retaining ring with laquer... I'll let you guess how I know. whistling.gif

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Those makers didn't account for freely available acetone (yes I've done it too).

• Astrojensen likes this

#550 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

Those makers didn't account for freely available acetone (yes I've done it too).

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Oh - we all all so much alike...............waytogo.gif

• Astrojensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics