•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Depressing weather here in Suffolk, UK

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Sounds like a great first light!

#27 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:29 PM

Glad you got out to try it out.  Mine has become my most often used due to the really quick setup, great images, and observing comfort.

I do notice issues with cooldown on my high power star images and plan to buy a roll of Reflectix and make a wrap.  With dropping temps I see the airy disks flaring a but and the distortion always opposite the highest point of the tube, worse the lower elevation the star is.

Bright star directly overhead is nice, but down at Rigel or Sirius it is a bit annoying at 200x.  On a lark, I put my watch cap over the top side of the tube and within a minute the pattern cleared up and perfectly concentric.  I know about cooldown but don't want to leave the scope out that long especially if it is dewey, and seeing how rapidly an insulation layer kills the thermal plume in the tube was new to me.

Dave

#28 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Suffolk, UK 🇬🇧

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Well, the weather hasn't improved much here in South Buckinghamshire. It was very misty last night, but with a first quarter moon blowing a raspberry at me, and my new (to me) Q aching to see first light I went out observing anyway, not expecting to see much. Boy was I wrong.

Seeing was poor and very active. The stars just wouldn't stay still, but the new Q punched through the mist and light pollution like Bruce Lee. I saw delicate clusters like the Auriga Salt & Pepper Cluster through the mist, with dark backgrounds, and the moon nearly had me in tears. Razor sharp mountain ranges with the Brandons, and the surface textures! Goodness me, the subtle surface textures! I don't remember seeing textures like that in my 8" LX200!

I think part of the benefit of the Q is that you can go out quickly even if the seeing looks poor, just to check it out, without a huge amount of wasted setup time if the seeing turns out to be bad. I can be an opportunist now. I'm thrilled and hooked.

I did exactly this last night. The moon looked a little hazy but the little Q cut through it nicely.

so quick and easy. So quick to take down it actually keeps you observing for longer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics