•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Parsons astronomers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

I thought it could be of interest to some to see some info I just recently bumped into.

Youtube, based I guess on past videos seen,  showed me a link to this video, where it is mentioned that the Turbinia's creator, Charles Algernon Parsons, was also an astronomer:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vrZ5IE-1GJ4 .

The speaker needs quite obviously a better sweater and is not always crystal clear but he does a good job overall and I found the video to be enjoyable.

So I did a quick search but, besides a Wikipedia page, I did not find much on Charles Algernon Parsons and his telescopes work. The Wikipedia page also referenced to another astronomer in the family, his brother Lawrence Parsons.  However, I found this this other video and very interesting video on Sir William Parson, their father. I hope I got the family genealogy right.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DR_wXCOH7fA

I guess this is all well known to many, but I thought to share with those who like me did not know it.

• BFaucett likes this

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

What do you mean he needs a better sweater? It's beige, by golly! What more do you need, really? 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• davidmcgo, Vesper818, lbim and 3 others like this

#3 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Well, I am under strict clothing standard control by a nice girlfriend, what can I say....

#4 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Grubb Parsons

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

...when I was a kid I read about "Lord Rosse" & his 6 foot telescope in the local libraries - the old man: I thought his last name was the same as my younger brother's first name at the time - minus the "e"..! :lol:

• tim53 and dave brock like this

#6 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

I thought it could be of interest to some to see some info I just recently bumped into.

Youtube, based I guess on past videos seen,  showed me a link to this video, where it is mentioned that the Turbinia's creator, Charles Algernon Parsons, was also an astronomer:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vrZ5IE-1GJ4 .

The speaker needs quite obviously a better sweater and is not always crystal clear but he does a good job overall and I found the video to be enjoyable.

So I did a quick search but, besides a Wikipedia page, I did not find much on Charles Algernon Parsons and his telescopes work. The Wikipedia page also referenced to another astronomer in the family, his brother Lawrence Parsons.  However, I found this this other video and very interesting video on Sir William Parson, their father. I hope I got the family genealogy right.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DR_wXCOH7fA

I guess this is all well known to many, but I thought to share with those who like me did not know it.

I have to agree Dmala...my wife would not be seen in public with me if I were wearing that sweater and would probably go looking for the car that ran over my sweater sleeves!

Thanks for the link...it was an enjoyable video!

• DMala likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics