•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5se focal reducer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 makeitso

makeitso

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is a reason to get the Celestron version of the focal recused or if one of the other brands available on Amazon would be the same or better.

There are basically three different ones, Celestron, Alstar and Astromania. The Celestron is the more expensive version, the other two are about the same cost. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? They look almost identical but the coatings or glass could be different.

I know the Meade branded one is not the same, it has no corrector according to what I was told, just a reducer.

I don’t want to spend money I don’t have to. I don’t want inferior components either.

Thanks, Jack

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

I am reasonably sure most if not all are made by the same company currently. Older ones were made in Japan by the same company then which means they MIGHT be better if production switched to China but I have not seen a Chinese one. Meade is also the same one. I use an older Meade one on my Celestrons.
  • makeitso likes this

#3 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

If you want top quality, you may be interested in the Stararizona corrector (but you would have to ask them about using in in a C5).

https://starizona.co...-coma-corrector
  • makeitso likes this

#4 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

I use the Meade FR on my C-6 and it works great I just leave it on the scope all the time.

• makeitso likes this

#5 makeitso

makeitso

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

AxelB, thanks for the info and link but, I would just get a different scope before I spend that much on one.

George, I’m thinking I’m just gonna go with the meade, thanks for posting.

#6 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

AxelB, thanks for the info and link but, I would just get a different scope before I spend that much on one.

It is also only for astrophotography, so if you were looking to use it visually, it isn't an option.

Edited by jallbery, 13 January 2019 - 04:50 PM.

• makeitso likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics