•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binary system with both components variable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Starfleet22

Starfleet22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

Imagine a fairly bright and wide double star with both of its components significantly variable.

I have been constantly wondering if such a thing as two Mira stars might exist as part of a binary system, ranging over 5 or 10 magnitudes each from minimum brightness to maximum. Or even two pulsating Cepheids for that matter with an amplitude of 2 or 3 magnitudes.

I expect the probability of finding such a thing would be extremely low. But the wonder of it would be immensely fascinating. Has anyone observed such a system yet?smile.gif

#2 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

Nothing comes to mind that would meet your stated criteria: A relatively wide and bright binary pair, where both components are subject to a relatively large change in magnitude.

If there were such a pair I believe it would be widely known and celebrated.

Many if not most stars are variable to some degree - including our sun - but to find two in relatively close proximity with such large swings would be very rare.

There are pairs where one component is variable.  The one that I am most familiar with is Chi Triangului which is not a variable star per se but the primary is an eclipsing variable where the primary changes by 4 magnitudes when an unseen companion passes in front of it.  Here is a video of one of my observations of it:

https://www.dropbox....1-3-17.mp4?dl=0

Edited by ssmith, 10 January 2019 - 08:59 PM.

• R Botero and Rustler46 like this

#3 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

That is utterly amazing video!!

Thank you for the drop box, Steve. 

What a brilliant universe we live in!

Chi Trianguli is certainly one to check out when I get my focuser fixed. 

And many thanks to Star Fleet 22 for raising the original question. 

Kindest regards from Aubrey. 

Edited by flt158, 11 January 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#4 Starfleet22

Starfleet22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

Superb system and I really enjoyed the video Steve!

I have added X Trianguli to my list of ones to observe.

Another good one I love is AF Arietis where the primary is pretty and colourful.

Perhaps there is a list somewhere no doubt of doubles stars with variable A/B components.

Cheers again

#5 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Cool video Steve...

Its "winking" at us.

#6 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ower Yonder, 01.5ºW. 55ºN.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Imagine a fairly bright and wide double star with both of its components significantly variable.

I have been constantly wondering if such a thing as two Mira stars might exist as part of a binary system, ranging over 5 or 10 magnitudes each from minimum brightness to maximum. Or even two pulsating Cepheids for that matter with an amplitude of 2 or 3 magnitudes.

I expect the probability of finding such a thing would be extremely low. But the wonder of it would be immensely fascinating. Has anyone observed such a system yet?smile.gif

The open cluster NGC 7790 hosts four variables. Two being the close Cepheid-pair CEab Cas as I understand it may be a binary system; but seems well established they are cluster members.

There is a fair bit of searchable info online with this system – some of it plain wrong and confused. For e.g. CF Cas is not the B component of the pair: they are simply CEa & CEb. (Leopold/Leo 55.

I addressed that issue recently on this post (which includes a field sketch).........

https://www.cloudyni...riables-ce-cas/

DG.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics