•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boy it feels that I saw them all....

NV
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

First evening at my South NJ location with dark skies, my PVS-7, a Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7 camera lens and the modded K to C converter holding an Astronomik 12nm filter...
Rosette/NGC 2244, Cone, M35 (I guess), Barnad's loop in full, IC434, Orion, California, Heart and Soul, a bag of other blobs, one after another. I feel almost intoxicated, beautifully intoxicated....

• Jeff Morgan, Ptarmigan, moshen and 6 others like this

#2 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

Really glad to hear everything worked out for you.  Congratulations.  waytogo.gif

• DMala likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:43 AM

That was my 1st experience with my Night Vision... In my case, it was the native 1x lens (approx 26mm) and Astronomik 12nm Ha. I actually had TWO, one in each hand... And, for the 1st time in my life... North American, Pelican, Gamma Cyg, California, Barnards Loop, Rosette, Horsehead (at 1x!)... just Ha emission nebulae all over the place! Now I also use that on various binos and telescopes! I still do plenty of "regular" viewing, too. The combination is fantastic.    Tom

• deepwoods1, chemisted, AllanDystrup and 1 other like this

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

I feel almost intoxicated, beautifully intoxicated...

Well said!

I am so thrilled that NV is meeting (or perhaps exceeding) your expectations.

We read all the time that the perception from others is that would be hard to enjoy a view that is green, with scintillation, and a puny 40 degree apparent field of view, and yet almost every time we pick up a new NV user, we get to enjoy all over again the same thrill through their eyes.  Thank you for sharing your first big low power experience with us.

It can really change ones perception of our place in the Milky Way.    We live in a galaxy that is filled with the cold fire of H-alpha and until one sees it, one really has not seen much but a narrow sample of the giant wavefront of light that washes over our heads. 

Lots more ahead of you.   Very excited to see that you are enjoying the experience!

• DMala likes this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

And Barnard's Loop!  What a freaking awesome sight!  I never dreamed that I would be able to see such a thing.

Wait until you get a chance to do it under some decently dark skies, with the big fish swimming overhead, and all of the miscellaneous lesser nebula scattered widely about the hunter.    

When I know I will be out of the city at night in the car, I always always always bring my NV so I can pull off on a side road and take a dive into the maelstrom of our galactic neighborhood.

• DMala likes this

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

It would be one thing to impress someone new to astronomy with the view through a modern image intensifier. That's a low hurdle to cross.

Quite another to impress people who have been been in the hobby for decades, and often owners of large and/or premium equipment.

Seeing these things better than ever before with a hand-held device ... from under city lights ...

Amazing!

• DMala likes this

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

Quite another to impress people who have been been in the hobby for decades, and often owners of large and/or premium equipment.

Indeed.  And yet over and over, we see the same sense of awe when people start using NV.

It sounds like it is working out for DMala, and he started with a PVS-7 that costs only s little more than a premium binoviewer with all the accessories and eyepieces, and that won't work in most scopes without adding a 1.6x to 2x magnifier.   Seen that way, when used in a reflector or refractor, NV can often deliver a true field that is bigger than most people can get using a traditional binoviewer, and with a field that is always going to be much busier with fun things to see.

It is though the initial low power observing reports like this that tickle me the most.   DMala is literally seeing the sky the way that no one using conventional gear will ever be able to see it.  I am thrilled to hear he is enjoying it!

• DMala likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics