•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Blue blotches - lens flare or what?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 khobar

khobar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

I've noticed some blue blotches on my pics and am wondering what they are. Using an 80mm ES80 APO with a modded Nikon D5100, a ES field flattener and Orion imaging LPF. They've been present in my B33/Flame, M42, and M45 at least. I thought there was just three but when I looked at my M45 from last night there seemed to be a whole lot more.

These were stacked in DSS, adjustments *applied* just so I could bring out what I was talking about. There are some dark spots, too, probably just dust. But the blotches - just dirt? Pin holes in the filter? Something else? Thanks.

Just off M42:

M42-blue-blotches-small.jpg

M45:

m45-blue-blotches-small.jpg

#2 khobar

khobar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

As a follow up, here's a shot of NGC2467 using same equipment, same night, etc. There are fewer subs (6) however.

I don't *think* I see the blotches.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC267-small.jpg

#3 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

Reflection from brighter stars.

You could try without field flattener.

• khobar likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

Yep, reflections from stars.  I'd blame the LP filter before the FF though...they're usually the culprit.

#5 bill5wjw

bill5wjw

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

Are you using flat frames in your stacking process? If so, then as einarin said above, remove the flattener, and try again.

I also had a problem with a reflection in this region of the sky and it turned out that a threaded adapter I was using was causing reflections that looked like arcs. I spray painted the inside of this adapter with flat black paint and now there are no more reflections.

#6 khobar

khobar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Very interesting!

I am using flats.

It was supposed to be cloudy tonight, but I was able to get about an hour in before it clouded over and can confirm without the FF I can see no blotches, blue or otherwise, at least not with M45.

So, what now?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics