•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari: Where is hibernate?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 king1522

king1522

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

I plan on using StarSense + SkySafari on my CPC1100 but can't find instructions for hibernating. I have read that hibernation is available while using SkySafari, but I can't find it. Can someone help?

Thank you

Don

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:32 AM

From my book, The NexStar User's Guide II, page 157:

"The Hibernate feature allows you to power off the ‘scope while still maintaining your star alignment. When you “wake up” the ‘scope, it is ready to go with no alignment required. This can be very useful for permanently mounted ‘scopes. After you finish observing for the night, just Hibernate and power off. The next time you want to use the ‘scope, simply power up and you will be observing in seconds. This also proves useful for daytime observing. You can accurately align your telescope at night when the stars are visible, Hibernate, and then cover the ‘scope. The next day, you can accurately GoTo planets and bright stars for an unusual view against a blue background. Or, you can enjoy very accurate tracking of the Sun.

To use this feature, Hibernate Enabled must be selected in Settings and Control. To hibernate the ‘scope, use the arrow buttons to manually point the ‘scope to a safe storage position, then tap the Disconnect button or exit SkyPortal. After exiting SkyPortal, turn off the power on the ‘scope. While the power is off, do not manually move the ‘scope, or you will lose your alignment.

To wake the ‘scope from hibernation, first power up the ‘scope. Next, reconnect your tablet or smartphone to the telescope’s WiFi network. Then start SkyPortal. Tap the Connect button; if you tap the Connect and Align button, you are starting a new alignment and the hibernation state will be lost. If you do click Connect, you will be asked if you want to wake up the telescope; tap Wake Up, and the previous alignment will be restored."

The setup options are accessed by tapping the Celestron logo in SkySafari after connecting to the scope. And though the instructions above state SkyPortal, SkySafari works the same.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com
  • roelb likes this

#3 king1522

king1522

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Mike. That's a very through answer. If I understand your answer corrrectly, you cannot access hibernate until you tap disconnect and then you are given the choice. I am also assuming that the hibernate function is not available in settings and control until the scope is actually connected. That would explain why I couldn't find the function when examining the demostration software.

That answer also helps me to decide to go ahead and buy your updated users guide. I have been considering it because I bought your first guide years ago and somehow in my moves I have lost it. That guide was interesting and very informative. If I have had your updated guide, it would have saved hours of searching the web and still not finding an adequate answer!

Thanks again

Don

Edited by king1522, 12 January 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

Hi Don,

Yes, you understand correctly.

And thanks for considering the book!

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics