•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another "Hold My Beer" Imaging Attempt--M42

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

This is my latest foray into imaging.  It's been four long months, as weather here in NE Ohio simply hasn't been conducive to imaging, and my only imaging rig comes c/o of my local astronomy club's observatory.

It's not a fully apochromatic scope (notice the color bloat around the stars), but our 6" f/8 1980s-era AP triplet is good enough for what I'm trying to do.

I have an intervalometer, but I didn't use it, so I kept each sub at 30-sec.  Unlike previous attempts at such exposure times (where I kept the ISO high to compensate), I dropped the ISO to 400 in the hopes of preserving a large amount of dynamic range to bring out the fainter nebulosity without blowing out the Trapezium/core region.  I still ended up with a luminosity curve as contorted as a Tim Wakefield knuckleball on a blustery day, but I was able to preserve some of the "visual appearance" of the core region without totally blowing it out.

I'm still learning how to process.  This is where I know the game's won and lost to a great degree.  I only have DSS for stacking and GIMP 2.10 and Canon DPP for processing.

This is 34 light frames of 30-sec @ ISO 400, along with 20 dark frames, 20 bias frames and 10 flats.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• M42-400ISO.jpg

• Starman27, mikewayne3, PeteM and 8 others like this

#2 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

Nice job Phillip. Really looks good I think your focus and color is great!

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hi Phil,

Nice effort!

You might try playing around with Star Tools.

They give you a 30 day trial but you can't save your work during that period. It's fifty bucks to buy. 

Here is a 3 part video using DSS, Star Tools, and Gimp it you have not seen it. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=J96e9HRbi-A

PixInsight is another and IMO better program.

I used Star Tools for a few months then tried out PixInsight and I'm now using it and Gimp. Very nice, a mildly complicated starting out and the cost is a little stiff at around $264... but worth it. The complication goes away with this nice set of twelve beginner videos made by Astro Dude. Its on you-tube and that got me going in a couple of marathon days. With PI they give you full unfettered use for 45 day including saving your images and converting the files and so forth. 

https://www.youtube....XJJqew6rQ&t=94s

I followed the video's and used M42 as my sample.

Here is a link to more comments I made about PI... for my final image see post #4.

https://www.cloudyni...nsight-and-wow/

Edited by scadvice, 11 January 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#4 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I actually had another stack of 28 exposures (also at 30-sec/each) at ISO-800.  I found it a bit too hard to get the Trapezium detail.

So what I did was I took the 34-exposure ISO-400 stack .TIF file and the 28-exposure ISO-800 .TIF file and...stacked them together.  I only messed around with the luminosity curve a bit, but it seems like it got more detail.  I wish I had more ISO-400 subs, though.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• M42-400+800 FB.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics