•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First starlight picture ever - tutorial and suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Hello everybody this is my first post

I have no idea of how to start and I don't even know if I have the right gear...very likely not

Anyway I would like to take some pictures to the moon or the stars to get a first idea on how to use the proper settings and which equipment I might need to purchase or photography skills I might have to develop

My setup is:

1) Nikon D3100

2) Unknowk lenses (will check)

3) camera remote control with bulb function etc.

4) tripod - the "Weifeng" type here (Italy) marketed under the brand Andoer

Do you have a tutorial you would suggest on how to set the camera: time exposure and other settings?

Or maybe you might want to give me some first rough suggestions

Thanks

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Trevor Jones has a website called AstroBackyard that has some tutorials you may be interested in.

https://astrobackyar...trophotography/

Scroll down to just past half way on this page to "Choosing the right exposure" for your application. (Of course read the whole page also later.)

Steve

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Hello everybody this is my first post

I have no idea of how to start and I don't even know if I have the right gear...very likely not

Anyway I would like to take some pictures to the moon or the stars to get a first idea on how to use the proper settings and which equipment I might need to purchase or photography skills I might have to develop

My setup is:

1) Nikon D3100

2) Unknowk lenses (will check)

3) camera remote control with bulb function etc.

4) tripod - the "Weifeng" type here (Italy) marketed under the brand Andoer

Do you have a tutorial you would suggest on how to set the camera: time exposure and other settings?

Or maybe you might want to give me some first rough suggestions

Thanks

You can get many answers from this book.  It's a download, but not free.

http://www.astropix....bgda/index.html

Your equipment is fine, the book will show you how to use it.  The author is a member here, and very experienced and competent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics