•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some Other Useful NV stuff

NV
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

While our primary use for NV might be astronomy, I am enjoying NV a great deal for other use as well.  I am always geeking around with NV and I hardly ever go anywhere at night without my Micro.

Here are a couple of fun things that you might consider for your NV to make it more useful. Now these are not all that essential, but hey, they are cheap, and for general NV use, especially for night hikes, both can be quite handy to have, and since they are inexpensive, why not!

NV accessories.jpg

The first is an IR Beam Focuser.  This little device press fits over the IR stub on the front of the PVS-7, the Mod 3 power supply (I do not know if this works on the PVS-14).  Again, it just press fits on (kind of screw it on, but it is not threaded.)

What this does is adjusts the pattern of the light emitted by the built in IR illuminator.  The illuminator by default is set as more of a mid-flood. With the above device, by twisting it, you go to a narrower but intense beam that can illuminate maybe a meter wide circle at 25 meters.  The idea is that if the illumination level is very low, this can give you a little better definition at the center of the field by providing a little extra light.  Turn it the other was for more of a flood.  The Mod 3 built in illuminator is very bright and it is exceptional for things like map reading, but you can get of a bit extra throw using the focuser:

https://www.ebay.com...US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

The next one will work for the Milspec objectives PVS-7, PVS-14, and ENVIS.  This is a compass.  It simply clips over the splines on the objective.  On the base of the compass, there is a little button, and when you press and hold the button, you see the magnetic heading displayed in the eyepiece FOV. This is what it looks like.   Forgive out of focus center of field. I must have moved from where I had the objective focused but while the scene is not all in focus, you can see that the compass card is in focus.

Compass.jpg

This one has Make Offer, and I bet you can get it for $25 shipped. 

https://www.ebay.com...cKsqb:rk:3:pf:0

Next are IR Glow Sticks. These are like the regular green glow sticks in operation, but rather than glow in green or yellow, they glow in IR.  Now where this is particularly useful is for tagging your dog or your friends if you are out and about at night.   Tie one on Rover's collar and you can see him from 150 yards away.  Also, if you want others to see you and you think they will be using NV (perhaps in a search) cracking a stick might be a good thing to do.  Once again, these are inexpensive, and while you may not really think you need them, they are inexpensive.    

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100010.m2109

IR Torch.  Some of these are not much more than red laser, and this means people can see it without NV if they look at the source.   The big benefit of using a torch rather than a simply flash light (and make no mistake, there is nothing like a good flashlight) is that no one can see it, and better than that, it does not affect your dark adapted vision.  If you are helmet mounted with a monocular and want to reach out into a very dark night, the torch will let you do so without suffering loss of scotopic vision in you other eye.

https://www.amazon.c...=IR Torch&psc=1

Helmet and helmet mount.  Works with pretty much anything.  A helmet lets you free both hands and can be more comfortable than the skull crusher that is commonly included with PVS-7s.  Recommended if you are going to be moving around a lot in the dark and need hands free.  A good mount will let you flip the NVD out of the way.  The pricing for these can be all over the place, but get a good one if you really really think you are camping and want to move around in the dark with hands free.

Again, I know that most people on CN may only think about NV as an astronomy tool, but NV is cool and powerful tech, and extending that tech can be inexpensive and useful.   

Hope someone finds something useful here. 

Edited by Eddgie, 11 January 2019 - 02:41 PM.

• moshen, deepwoods1 and Jericho75 like this

#2 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

The IR beam focuser is the first accessory I bought for my PVS-7. I read about it in the manual, saw it on EBay. It made sense as to have it as I am interested in wildlife in my backyard, and it works great!

#3 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Great post! I bought an IR beam focuser.

#4 11769

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

Good topic. The beam focuser is a must have if you have a device that fits. It was originally designed for the PVS-7 as far as I can tell and then Adam at AB Night Vision realized that the MOD-3 housings could be adapted to have a boss for the focuser to sit on. One of many reasons why I like the MOD-3 housing. Doesn't work with a PVS-14 though. 

Did you buy those IR glowsticks and if so how well do they work? I'm a bit apprehensive due to the long passed expiration date.

Along the lines of glowsticks, a small IR beacon like a Phoenix Jr. can be handy as well. Cheap enough that it ca be kept on hand or just used for fun. Despite being small, it really shows up on NV. For those that are handy and light a project, it's easy to go overboard with IR beacons as well. Fun to have a beacon that puts everything off the shelf to shame and is visible from close to everywhere. 

https://www.ebay.com...VG/303025533436

A helmet may seem unnecessary and I hesitated too long before getting one but it's a step up from everything else. The skullcrusher should be avoided at all costs, beyond uncomfortable and not all that steady. A very good compromise is a face mask mount. These sometimes come upon eBay for a good price and Night Vision Devices had them for a bargain. May be worth inquiring directly with the. A US made bump helmet can be had for a bit more than airsoft helmets but for walking around, an airsoft helmet would suffice. 

275121-2-1-400x400.jpg

• moshen and DMala like this

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:34 AM

Helmet and helmet mount.  Works with pretty much anything.  A helmet lets you free both hands and can be more comfortable than the skull crusher that is commonly included with PVS-7s.  Recommended if you are going to be moving around a lot in the dark and need hands free.  A good mount will let you flip the NVD out of the way.  The pricing for these can be all over the place, but get a good one if you really really think you are camping and want to move around in the dark with hands free.

I've been thinking about that one too.

TNVC used to have a non-ballistic helmet. Not requiring it to be bullet-proof makes it quite a bit more affordable!

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

TNVC used to have a non-ballistic helmet. Not requiring it to be bullet-proof makes it quite a bit more affordable!

And of course much lighter and not bulky. 

I had not seen the face mask mounts, but in the end, I think the bump helmet is probably the most flexible and comfortable.  

#7 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:52 AM

You must be either caving or in some *real* dark places... I’ve never turned the IR on mine on!
I made some IR led markers to help me locate things at a Starparty once. I have held off the head mounting, but would free up my hands, maybe something to look into.

Peter
  • DMala likes this

#8 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

You must be either caving or in some *real* dark places... I’ve never turned the IR on mine on!
(...)

funnypost.gif   OK, OK, you are right, it is just the cool factor then!

#9 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

If you “light yourself up” then people will see you... got to be stealthy! Especially as Astro NV types tend to have the more sensitive tubes that work down at NL6!

PEterW

#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

Good topic. The beam focuser is a must have if you have a device that fits. It was originally designed for the PVS-7 as far as I can tell and then Adam at AB Night Vision realized that the MOD-3 housings could be adapted to have a boss for the focuser to sit on. One of many reasons why I like the MOD-3 housing. Doesn't work with a PVS-14 though. 

Did you buy those IR glowsticks and if so how well do they work? I'm a bit apprehensive due to the long passed expiration date.

Along the lines of glowsticks, a small IR beacon like a Phoenix Jr. can be handy as well. Cheap enough that it ca be kept on hand or just used for fun. Despite being small, it really shows up on NV. For those that are handy and light a project, it's easy to go overboard with IR beacons as well. Fun to have a beacon that puts everything off the shelf to shame and is visible from close to everywhere. 

https://www.ebay.com...VG/303025533436

A helmet may seem unnecessary and I hesitated too long before getting one but it's a step up from everything else. The skullcrusher should be avoided at all costs, beyond uncomfortable and not all that steady. A very good compromise is a face mask mount. These sometimes come upon eBay for a good price and Night Vision Devices had them for a bargain. May be worth inquiring directly with the. A US made bump helmet can be had for a bit more than airsoft helmets but for walking around, an airsoft helmet would suffice. 

275121-2-1-400x400.jpg

My wife will never let me buy such gear after watching 'Silence of the Lambs'...

#11 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Just got the IR beam focuser. Wow, it really does have some good throw now! Very cool the Mod-3 was designed to work with this.

#12 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Just got the IR beam focuser. Wow, it really does have some good throw now! Very cool the Mod-3 was designed to work with this.

Yeah, it is handy and so cheap that there is no excuse not to have one. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics