•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on locating a safe and secure dark sky spot

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Wesker

Wesker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:43 AM

So its the first clear night above 10 degrees in weeks. Perfect. I plot out a map to hit a green, blue and grey zone to scope out future viewing spots. As soon as I leave the green zone, thickest fog Ive seen in a long long while. Unbelievable.
  • paul, Dynan and Starman47 like this

#27 aussietx

aussietx

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Liberty Hill, Texas

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

In Central Texas around the Austin area, I would seek out new communities being built on the outskirts of the city or nearby county. Wasn't really too hard to find developments where the roads had been laid and the lights had not yet gone up. I would also try and find quiet country lanes off main roads, however I was sometimes met with the local residents with a little suspicion. Either way, I always called the local Sheriff to let them know who I was, where I was and how long I would be out at the site for. I also let my wife know exactly where I had set up to observe just in case.

Edited by aussietx, 14 January 2019 - 10:57 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#28 Dynan

Dynan

Vanguard

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

So its the first clear night above 10 degrees in weeks. Perfect. I plot out a map to hit a green, blue and grey zone to scope out future viewing spots. As soon as I leave the green zone, thickest fog Ive seen in a long long while. Unbelievable.

Like Santa Claus... The SKY KNOWS what you are trying to do!!! And it is decidedly less merciful, as all the testimony about 2018 will attest.

#29 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

I would talk to some ranchers, show them your equipment, and have a friendly talk.  Back in spring 2005 through mid 2006, I had been frequently setting up on a detached piece of a rancher's land in a gray zone.  One day in the late spring of 2006, he called me and made a decent price on the piece I had been periodically viewing/camping on.  That's how I bought my dark site in late June 2006.

• George N, buddy ny, Dynan and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics