•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend me a mount for a...

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

...Sky-Watcher ProED 100mm refractor. I was going to go with an ES Twilight, a Vixen Porta II, or a GSO SkyView, but I read here that these mounts may not be adequate. I want to do planetary viewing and star hopping, no photography, and would like a non-computerized alt-az set-up. Thanks.

#2 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

I would think that any of those would be plenty adequate for a 100 mm doublet for visual but if you don't want to risk it, the next step up in alt-az is the stellarvue MC2. It's rated at 25#.

#3 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Explorer 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

For visual, the ES Twilight l is completely adequate. I am also a visual user and have a 102 on that mount, works fine. If you have even basic tool skills, follow the thread in CN and build an arm stiffener plate for it. I did that and it’s even better.

#4 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

For visual, the ES Twilight l is completely adequate. I am also a visual user and have a 102 on that mount, works fine. If you have even basic tool skills, follow the thread in CN and build an arm stiffener plate for it. I did that and it’s even better.

Steve - could you give us a link to that thread ????

Thanks!

BTW, I use my AR102 on a Twilight I all the time with no problems.

In fact, I "store" the scope on this mount, unless it is moved to the iOptron AZMP if I want tracking.

Edited by George Bailey, 11 January 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#5 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

I have the porta II with a 90mm refractor and it's quite adequate for visual.

#6 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:18 PM

Hello Cisco, and welcome to cloudy nights.

I have a synta 100mm f/9 ed doublet on a porta-mount ii, with wooden legs.

It is not as steady as I like, but it works.  There is nothing bigger in the alt-az class of mounts without

spending a whole lot more money.  The MC2 mentioned above is on my wish list, but the just the head is $300.00.

If I can get some quality time over the weekend, I will have a go with it. 

I have not used this rig for a few years, I  just unearthed it from the basement, mount graveyard.

So my recolections are old.

I also don't mind sitting on the ground, so I usually observe with the legs at their lowest setting.

VT.

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

Allow me to rather contrarily suggest this, instead of an alt-az:

https://www.telescop...c/34/p/9829.uts

Both the mount and the tripod are solid as a rock, the slow motion controls are smooth and backlash-free, and it handles my fully-loaded (~14-pound) C8 beautifully. A polar alignment scope is an option, but you don't need it if -- like me -- all you use this mount for is visual. Simply level the mount, set the polar axis to your latitude, look through the opening in the polar axis where the polar scope would go, put Polaris in the middle of your view, and you're good to go.

Tracking motors are also an option... but you don't need them for visual either.

The nice thing about an EQ mount, is that once you've found your target and observed it for a while... you can walk away from the scope, and when you come back to it, all you need to do to find the target again, is turn the RA slo-mo knob. And viewing an object at high power is infinitely easier and more pleasurable using an EQ mount with slo-mo controls, than using an alt-az.  waytogo.gif

• treadmarks likes this

#8 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. I will try the Twilight.

#9 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Explorer 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

George 

sorry, don’t know how to include a link, but Equipment Discussion - Mount - Easy, attractive mod for ES Twlight l

gets you there.

I did mine slightly differently by fabricating a 1/8” th x 3” wide 6061 aluminum plate (instead of PW) for the outer clamp plate.

• George Bailey likes this

#10 gears1954

gears1954

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

"I did mine slightly differently by fabricating a 1/8” th x 3” wide 6061 aluminum plate (instead of PW) for the outer clamp plate."

Can you post a photo of this?

#11 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

https://www.cloudyni...sy#entry9063640

Found it, Steve - thanks!

Edited by George Bailey, 11 January 2019 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Explorer 1

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

"I did mine slightly differently by fabricating a 1/8” th x 3” wide 6061 aluminum plate (instead of PW) for the outer clamp plate."

Can you post a photo of this?

Traveling for family funeral, will do as soon as I’m back.

Steve

#13 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

The Twilight is a great mount, but look at the Celestron cg4 and the other manufacturers with the same mounts. They all can handle around 20 lbs. When you upgrade scopes, you will already have the upgraded mount. To me it seems a waste of money to get a mount that might max out what you have as a scope now. Spending a few extra $$$ will get you something that will be beneficial for a future upgrade, plus a sturdier mount.  Good Luck.

#14 Jond105

Jond105

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

I had a Skywatcher 100 Ed on a CG4 with a 16" Orion pier extension soon and a single axis motor drive. I then purchased an Orion ED100 with a GSO Skyview Deluxe mount. The GSO handles it ok as I had it 200x for Venus one morning last week. Not bad. Not great like the CG4 which would be your best bet, at more weight of course in the mount. But the GSO shows promise as well

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5387.PNG
  • IMG_4604.JPG

#15 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

Im going to go with this mount along with the Astro-Tech 102mmED.  Sounds like Ill be fine as far as mounting goes! :D

#16 Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Quick update: I ordered both the Twilight I and the Stellarvue M002CS complete system. The thought was to try both a lower end and a higher end set-up, choose one, and return the other. Guess which I chose...

mount010.jpg

Not perfect, but I'm happy enough. Thanks to all that took the time to reply to my questions.

Edited by Cisco Kid, 17 January 2019 - 04:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics