Lots of issues here, any advice is much appreciated! This was an exercise in capturing and processing; all of which are new to me. I'm just thrilled to have something to show my wife.
A few questions.
1) with the CLS-CCD filter M42 is very red, is that to be expected? Should I be able to see other colors as well?
2) 2/3 of the subs were shot using the CLS/CCD filter, should I have refocused after putting it in the camera?
3) What are the two "elliptical flares" on the right side of the picture 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (extending right to left above Nair al Saif)? You will have to look very closely in the scaled image.
4) Should I have mixed ISOs or can that just be adjusted in PS?
5) Any other advice on... anything?
From my backyard North of Houston, TX somewhere in the Bortle 6 range?
1:05 minutes of 15sec sub light frames (1600,3200,6400 ISOs)
1/3 subs no filter
2/3 subs using Astronomik CLS/CCD clip in filter
30 frames of Flats, Darks and Bias frames included
I stretched the image twice and adjusted the curves to produce a dark sky, then applied "Enhance DSO and Reduce Stars" action.
Celestron 6SE, Alt/Az mount
Celestron .63 Field Reducer
Canon modded T3i
Photoshop CS2 with AstronomyTools v1.6
Thanks for looking!