•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 80 GT will not cooperate!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unior

unior

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

I'm at my wits end. I got a used nexstar 80GT as a christmas gift and I simply cannot get it to work properly. I got it to align many times but it slews right past the object (moon). Anyone wanna trade for a mount with a clock drive lol?

I have entered all the location/time/date information many times. I even tried changing the model number to 0726559 as per the instructions on the common alignment problems website.

I have manually set the longitude and latitude to my exact location per google maps. 

Choosing no for daylight savings and eastern standard time.

#2 JGass

JGass

Messenger

• Loc: MD

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Let's start with the most basic things.  Have you installed the tube with the upright part of the mount on the right side as seen from the eyepiece end?

Won't work properly if installed the other way around.  It should look like the photos in the manual.

If you are using the AA battery pack, be warned that those batteries may be drained rather quickly. Don't use rechargeable AAs, as they don't have the 1.5V each required.  If you have a volt meter, check them.  An external 12 volt source (with proper cable polarization) is preferable for reliable results.

A two-star align is best, with the alignment stars chosen for as wide a separation as possible - on opposite sides of your meridian.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

Time zone? That is what folks usually miss - especially when star alignment works but solar system objects are wrong.

#4 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

If the computer is not slewing to your object then there is probably mis-entered data. Also remember that the longitude in the US is West, or negative. I have done that with Celestron mounts. With these telescopes also be sure to set up the mount level and pointing South before you turn it on. Always use the lowest power eyepiece for initial alignments. This system can seem mysterious, but usually with patience you can find the problem. 

You said that you can get the scope to align, do you mean that the one or two star alignments are a “success” according to the hand controller?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics