•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Horsehead Nebula using ASI183MM Pro - CC Appreciated

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AstroPics

AstroPics

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

I picked up the ASI183MM Pro before the holidays and have been taking a few images with it. I decided to give NB imaging a shot, even though I'd be far short of the minimum exposure time to exceed the camera's read noise. My scope is an f/6.5 scope under Bortle 6 skies and there was virtually no lunar illumination in the skies that night. My calculations gave a theoretical exposure time of 30 minutes for an H-Alpha image. From my perspective, that is way too long for a sub. Instead, I decided on 10 minute exposures and put a huge pedestal in during the calibration processing. This actually seemed to work out fairly well and the total noise in the stacked H-Alpha image was around 8e-5.

The image came about from the following subs:

57 x 50s Lum frames at gain 53

27 x 90s Blue frames at gain 111

27 x 90s Green frames at gain 111

17 x 140s Red frames at gain 111

9 x 600s H-Alpha frames at gain 178

I took a few different processing approaches from the norm:

1) Normally, I really boost the red for the H-Alpha contribution but decided to go light on it. It essentially gives a more purplish tint to the H-Alpha region. Still wondering if that was a good effect or not.

2) I also went lighter on the noise reduction than normal. In some ways, it keeps the details sharper but when I start pixel-peeping, it definitely shows some granularity in the background. Technically, I guess most people aren't pixel-peeping the image. The noise is probably more obvious in the full sized astrobin version: https://astrob.in/385445/0/

3) I left the mean background much higher than normal in the final image. Normally, I raise the black point pretty high but decided against it. I suppose this is somewhat subjective.

I feel like in general, it is not a bad image. Any comments from anyone? I've been staring at it for a couple days and hard to be objective at this point.

IC 434 Final Resized.jpg

• Scott Mitchell, numchuck, johnsoda and 5 others like this

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Wow!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics