•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics GT81 + 6AII FF Troubles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kdesrosier

kdesrosier

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

I've got the most recent iteration of the WO GT81 (link) and just received the WO 6AII Field Flattener (link) in the mail. The sales page for the FF shows an image of the compression ring removed from the focuser tube and the FF taking its place (w/ M63 threading). I've tried unscrewing the ring with no luck. There also seems to be three small hex screws holding the compression ring in place. I've tried unscrewing them, but none of my hex keys fit. However, I'm not sure the screws are holding the ring in place.

Has anyone else struggled with this who can maybe lend me some advice? Pics of the compression ring can be found here: https://photos.app.g...JjWiRK5cFqUiXj9

Thank you.

#2 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

All hex keys to fit the GT81 are metric, those little ones are probably 1.5 or 2 mm. I couldn't find anything in the pdf files about removing the compression ring, but surely it must come off somehow. Rather than booger it up, why not email customer support for WO and ask them? I'd like to be able to remove the compression ring on my 20th Anniversary model GT81 and be able to thread the FF in place, but I've resigned myself to just clamping its sleeve with the three compression screws. It's a firm fit, but threading is better if you can do it.

#3 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:03 PM

The hex screw does look like a locking screw. You just need to get the correct size wrench to loosen it. I bought a wrench set with lots of small imperial and metric sizes for just such occasions.

#4 kdesrosier

kdesrosier

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

William Optics got back to me and explained you do indeed need to loosen the 3 hex screws on the compression ring before it can be unscrewed from the focuser tube. I was able to do this with a 1.5mm hex key.

I had to buy a new hex key set because my current set is older and has rounded edges and therefore could not conform to the inside of the hex screws.

#5 Christian-UAE

Christian-UAE

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

Hi.

I would appreciate if you could let me know your experience with the performance of your scope and the reducer as I am currently looking into this set too.

Thank you
Christian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics