•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I put the Stellarvue SV85S to good use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

Tonight was an incredibly rare night - meaning I was home, it was dark and the clouds parted long enough to see strange little dots of light in the sky.  

It has been months since this happened so I broke out the SV85S to take a quick peek at the Moon and M42.  I set up in the front yard with 4 streetlights shining directly on my location from multiple angles in my cul-de-sac.  I decided to keep things really simple and just used a TV 15mm Plossl for the night's activities.  I didn't bother with mounting the RDF as it was a two target night. 

The surface of the Moon was swimming for about 15 minutes as the scope acclimated from the 72 degree interior temp of my house to the 28 degree outside temp.  Even though the view had the wavering effect we all know while waiting for our scopes to cool, the low mag (39X) view showed a crisp preview of what was to come.  While waiting for the view to settle I swung over to the Orion Nebula and was smiling to myself as I observed the 4 main stars of the trap as tight little points of light when a friend of my daughter and her mother drove up to say hi to my youngest.  

I shared the views of both the Moon and M42 with both of them and there were plenty of "oohs and ahhs" to go around.  The mom said "I have never seen the Moon that close!" and the daughter said "The next time I come over can we do this again?"

I think that was a successful night of observing.  All packed into about 35 minutes.  

• punk35, Scott in NC, Erik Bakker and 9 others like this

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Loc: NC

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

Nice, Scott!  It makes it even better when you can share the view with others. :waytogo:

• Lewis Cason likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Those are the times/nights that make it all worthwhile!

• Lewis Cason likes this

#4 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:53 PM

Great report Scott.  We had my SV85S out at our semi-dark site last week.   One of the best views was watching the area of M42 drift though the field of view of a 7mm ortho.  

Nothing better than sharing views with people who have never looked at the moon.  The reaction is priceless.

Edited by Steve D., 11 January 2019 - 08:56 PM.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#5 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:06 PM

The seeing conditions were rough tonight (not including waiting for the scope to cool) so I wasn't expecting much of a session.  The stars in the trap of M42 were really sharp and tight at the low mag of 39X though.  

I had a great time sharing the EP with two newbies.  I might have created another astro geek like the rest of us.  ;)

• Scott in NC and Lewis Cason like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics