•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

14" Meade lx850

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

I am confused to say the least.  I have had to align my telescope several times due to equipment changes etc.  Sometimes the scope aligns and works well other times the scope seems to have no idea where it is.  Tonight I aligned the scope three times and it can find stars but has no idea where the moon is or M31!  I updated the home position (it is mounted on a pier in my observatory) and when I went to park the scope it decided on a park position all on its own different than the one I thought I had programed.  I am at a loss...confused1.gif

Any help in how to align will be helpful.  One thing I wonder about and I have read other older posts on this topic...when aligning it asks to put the scope in the German North Position then asks you to find Polaris THEN loosen the Dec clutches and put the OTA parallel to the mount and tighten the clutches again.  This would be clear if they had a picture explaining what they are talking about.  If I leave the scope in the GNP and hit enter after centering Polaris, the scope puts itself on it's side with the message finding Polaris on the hand controller...am I supposed to put it on its side then let the computer put it in the proper configuration with the counter shaft pointing down and north with the OTA pointing straight ahead like should be normal???

#2 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Vanguard

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hello @Eagle Butte,

You should ONLY have to re-align if (a) you change your OTA and rebalance, and (b) you do NOT park the mount after using it.

Something sounds wrong in your steps.  Here is what I do:

-- Put scope in German North and then hit ENTER.
-- The mount will then adjust to a position where it thinks Polaris should be.
-- Loosen the Alt and Az clutches and center on Polaris.  When done tighten the clutches and hit ENTER.
-- The mount will then go to a target bright star.  Refine the centering of that star and hit ENTER.

You are now all set!

If you want to be more precise on your alignment use the AUTO DRIFT ALIGN function.

If you are going to image you should do RA PEC training and then three (3) updates in succession on the training.  Lastly for each imaging stretch, once a night or a couple of times (if Moon set), do the AUTO RATE CALIBRATION.

When done for the night PARK your mount. If you do not YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING.   I have not changed the park position, so I cannot speak to that.

I leave my telescope outside most of the year.  My typical routine is, once aligned:

-- remove cover
-- power on rig through my Eagle 2 Computer (it provides power management for ALL electrical systems - cameras, LX850, dew heaters, etc).
-- Select a bright star, hit enter and GOTO.  This verifies for me everything is all set.  It also gets the GPS fix, time zone and current time.
-- If trying to image the Moon before it sets I go right to it.
-- IF imaging I go to a reasonably bright target near the celestial equator, and I do the AUTO RATE CALIBRATION
-- Have fun and explore
-- park
-- power of rig via Eagle 2
-- Cover the telescope.

Once aligned you should not have to re-align.

Let me know if this helps!

• Starman27 likes this

#3 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

Hello!  Thank you for your response.  It was helpful in letting me know most of my routine is accurate.  I did figure out part of the problem I was having with the mount seeming to be slightly confused.  While aligning in the past, I would get Polaris just right then the hand controller would ask to center on Capella (the brightest star in that region of the sky early evening) but the other night I went out to try once more and the hand controller asked to "center the brightest star in the viewfinder field of view".  It was near Capella but just past it.  I thought "here we go again, it missed Capella by a fair bit" but this time I thought I would take the instruction literally and centered the brightest star in the finder scope field of view and what do you know!  It meant what it said not what I thought it was trying to say!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to help me out it is very much appreciated!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics