•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help! MC andHC update on my CGX has ? killed my mount!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:12 AM

Help! I tried updating the firmware on my Celestron CGX and all was going well till I started doing the mount MC. I did the HC first separate , which worked fine and then the mount and CFM found the mount, recognized it required updates  and then started and stopped with the error" Device Memory Corrupted". I have to say that I read where I must update the HC and the mount separately which I did. I did not have the HC plugged in the mount and just used the USB port on the mount and I got the first message. So then I thought(maybe stupidly) I need to have the HC plugged in the mount. Then CFM found both HC and the mount I selected the mount updates and then it started and got the same message.I tried several times again with just the mount  and got the same message.So I then did a factory reset and everything seems fine till I turned on the mount. I first notice it doesn't go to switch position. It asks for what type of alignment, I enter 1 star ,enter all necessary info and tried to do alignment. I try to slew to the star,  It doesn't slew. I get "use buttons to center star"(never had that problem before) The only alignment procedure that slews is the North American EQ. But that doesn't work as I get the message slew limit on just about every star I pick except ones close to Polaris( like Caph). I even got my manual out and started from scratch, it won't do a star alignment. So there you have it, any ideas? All this and our clubs annual star party is 2 weeks away.....Wish I had never started the updates but cannot help that now. I have searched here and other areas for answers but nothing has fixed it. I thought a factory reset would but no. I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:22 AM

I just updated my CGX two days ago and all went fine. I did have the HC plugged into the mount and updated throught the HC, of course. I also checked for updates for StarSense the same way (except for having the camera plugged in also.

How are you resetting to factory specs? The manual says select Factory Reset and confirm by pressing "0" (Zero)

I believe there is another way by holding down the Celestron Key (bottom left) as you power up the mount. (Don't have the USB plugged into the HC as you do this reset as it keeps power to the HC at all times.)

I haven't used this method, but have seen it discussed a number of times here on CN. Maybe someone who has experience with this reset method can chime in and straighten up both out.

Keep us informed. This info could be valuable to CGX'ers in the future!

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

I found this link and it says to hold the "0" button while powering on:

https://www.cloudyni...ternate-method/

Apparently this isn't the first, nor last, time this problem's been an issue. I haven't read the entire link yet, but it may give you info you need.

EDIT: In the above link, Michael Swanson chimes in... ALWAYS an excellent source for all things Celestron!

You might contact him by PM for additional help.

As always, he suggests that you UPDATE THIS THREAD with your results so others can use, or discard, this method...and help in finding another.

Edited by Dynan, 12 January 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#4 orthogonal

orthogonal

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

When updating the firmware on my CGX-L I got the memory corrupt error for one of the modules. I panicked. Not sure what caused it but I was successful, finally, after several more attempts. 

#5 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

I just updated my CGX two days ago and all went fine. I did have the HC plugged into the mount and updated throught the HC, of course. I also checked for updates for StarSense the same way (except for having the camera plugged in also.

How are you resetting to factory specs? The manual says select Factory Reset and confirm by pressing "0" (Zero)

I believe there is another way by holding down the Celestron Key (bottom left) as you power up the mount. (Don't have the USB plugged into the HC as you do this reset as it keeps power to the HC at all times.)

I haven't used this method, but have seen it discussed a number of times here on CN. Maybe someone who has experience with this reset method can chime in and straighten up both out.

Keep us informed. This info could be valuable to CGX'ers in the future!

When updating the firmware on my CGX-L I got the memory corrupt error for one of the modules. I panicked. Not sure what caused it but I was successful, finally, after several more attempts. 

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I did use the 0 button and the celestron button. It did the reset but still I cannot do the star alignment. One other thing I noticed. On the utilities section of the menu, the Home selection is gone as is when the mount powers up, it does not go to the switch position. ???

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure because I've never done a factory reset, but you may need to update firmware...possibly not, so I'll let some with experience there chime in.

• ohills likes this

#7 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:51 AM

You got me. Just updated mine about an hour ago. All went well.

Chris

• moonrider likes this

#8 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:18 AM

Chris

So are you operating well? Good Goto's? No error messages? An unwipeable smile on your face?

#9 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

So are you operating well? Good Goto's? No error messages? An unwipeable smile on your face?

Just a quick align and a couple slews in the house. Salt Lake City area is not conducive to winter imaging.  Too dang cold and bad inversions.  I haven't seen a clear sky for over a week. Clear skies bring the cold.

Chris

• jeff toma and Dynan like this

#10 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Just a quick align and a couple slews in the house. Salt Lake City area is not conducive to winter imaging.  Too dang cold and bad inversions.  I haven't seen a clear sky for over a week. Clear skies bring the cold.

Chris

Spent most of my life in RS, WY 82901, a lot of it in a derrick. I KNOW what you mean by weather...

#11 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Chris

When you updated the mount, did you have the HC plugged the mount? Just wondered as I had mine plugged in and had the usb connected to the mount and that's when everything went wrong.

#12 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Yes, had everything plugged in. HC, mount, starsense and GPS. It found everything and updated fine. I used the HC USB port.

Chris

• moonrider and Dynan like this

#13 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Yes, had everything plugged in. HC, mount, starsense and GPS. It found everything and updated fine. I used the HC USB port.

Chris

So you did not have the mount connected by the USB on the mount, only by the HC usb?

Edited by moonrider, 13 January 2019 - 11:20 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#14 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

So you did not have the mount connected by the USB on the mount, only by the HC usb?

Only the HC USB port.

Chris 

#15 Glass Eye

Glass Eye

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft. Bend County, Texas

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

Updated mine with all connected up. Worked like champ! I updated through the HC.

Edited by Glass Eye, 14 January 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#16 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

I followed what others have done and that is to do the HC and mount separately . Like I said the HC updated fine but the mount , not so much. I hand put a request in Celestrons live help and support ticket. Unfortunately my job will not allow me to spen any significant time on the phone. Just wish I can get this fixed before our annual star party at the end of the month.

#17 Erik30

Erik30

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cottage Grove, MN

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure of the errors you are getting but I see you posted it was giving a notice of "Slew Limit" when trying to select an alignment star.  Have you gone through the menu of the HC to see if you can disable all limits?  The slew limits might be stopping it from slewing??  

#18 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

Here is a picture of what WORKS:

CFM WIRING.jpg

To clarify the diagram:

This setup is for the OLD STYLE StarSense Update...(has the RJ12, 6-wire socket at the bottom of the HC.) The 8SE has the RJ12 connector also...(at least my 3/2018 8SE does). These need the Celestron Programming Cable AND the USB to Serial Cable.

For a NEW StarSense, CGX, and others, that have a USB Mini-B socket at the bottom of the HC, the Celestron Programming Cable AND the USB to Serial Cable have been replaced with this cable (USB A to Mini B):

CFM WIRING 3.jpg

WITH A CGX, the wiring is a bit different. The HC uses the above mentioned USB A to Mini B cable, as does the StarSense.

This is the corrected diagram that WORKS:

CFM WIRING 2.jpg

Notice that the camera is NOT connected to the computer in the final setup. All updates go through the HC and the USB A to Mini B.

Apparently plugging into the mount with a USB A to B (essentially a printer cable) seems to cause all sorts of problems.

This works. Do what you want, though...you're going to do it anyway. smile.gif

• Glass Eye likes this

#19 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Here is a picture of what WORKS:

attachicon.gif CFM WIRING.jpg

To clarify the diagram:

This setup is for the OLD STYLE StarSense Update...(has the RJ12, 6-wire socket at the bottom of the HC.) The 8SE has the RJ12 connector also...(at least my 3/2018 8SE does). These need the Celestron Programming Cable AND the USB to Serial Cable.

For a NEW StarSense, CGX, and others, that have a USB Mini-B socket at the bottom of the HC, the Celestron Programming Cable AND the USB to Serial Cable have been replaced with this cable (USB A to Mini B):

attachicon.gif CFM WIRING 3.jpg

WITH A CGX, the wiring is a bit different. The HC uses the above mentioned USB A to Mini B cable, as does the StarSense.

This is the corrected diagram that WORKS:

attachicon.gif CFM WIRING 2.jpg

Notice that the camera is NOT connected to the computer in the final setup. All updates go through the HC and the USB A to Mini B.

Apparently plugging into the mount with a USB A to B (essentially a printer cable) seems to cause all sorts of problems.

This works. Do what you want, though...you're going to do it anyway. smile.gif

Dynan, so you used the HC only to do the updates on you CGX? I have read the some  have had no problems  and somehave had similar issues as me. I tried doing th HC separately and using the USB printer to do the mount as this was the way many ( hear and other forums) . Unfortunately , there no clear answers for me. I hope Celestron will get back to me with a way to resolve my issue. It would be helpful if someone would post a step by step guide on how they did the update without any problems , but right now I am very hesitant to do anything else for fear of doing any more damage....

#20 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

It would be helpful if someone would post a step by step guide on how they did the update without any problems , but right now I am very hesitant to do anything else for fear of doing any more damage....

Step by Step:

1) Hook your CGX up to a computer according to the second picture, with or without StarSense.

2) Run CFM.

It can't get any simpler.

If your mount is corrupted because you hooked up a USB A to B directly to your mount, [Disregard these instructions in the notoriously out-of-date Manual]:

Do a factory reset by holding the '0' (Zero) key while you power up the mount.

While you do this DO NOT have the HC connected to the computer.

Go to Step 1.

Repeat until you are updated, looking into Space through your telescope, and happy.

Edited by Dynan, 17 January 2019 - 01:32 AM.

• moonrider likes this

#21 Glass Eye

Glass Eye

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

For the CGX and CGX-L:

1. On windows 10 download Java on others make sure a recent version is installed.

2. Download latest CFM .

3. Connect HC to mount and supply power to mount.

4. Turn on mount. Let it cycle to the main prompt on the HC. Do not touch any buttons.

5. Connect USB mini B cable to bottom of HC. Now connect the others end ( USB A) to the computer.

6. Launch CFM. It will update the HC and then list all items connected.

7. Update mount.

Mine showed 4 items connected.

Hc 

Mount 

RA 

DEC

#22 PXMedia

PXMedia

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: CA/Mex

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

For the CGX and CGX-L:

1. On windows 10 download Java on others make sure a recent version is installed.

2. Download latest CFM .

3. Connect HC to mount and supply power to mount.

4. Turn on mount. Let it cycle to the main prompt on the HC. Do not touch any buttons.

5. Connect USB mini B cable to bottom of HC. Now connect the others end ( USB A) to the computer.

6. Launch CFM. It will update the HC and then list all items connected.

7. Update mount.

Mine showed 4 items connected.

Hc 

Mount 

RA 

DEC

Nice but I went about this a bit different. Looks like I need to add one or two steps. Just in case anyone needs it. I tried the process outlined on the Celestron site. Actually a few times wondering why it was not working. So trial and error till I found the solution. The main issue was how they told you to power on the mount, then press the Menu and 7 keys. Once the HC has power it's already too late to press the buttons. So follow below how I did it. And one more thing. DO NOT hook your computer directly to the mount when trying to perform this update. Only plug into the HC and then the HC to your mount. Note: if you do not see a mini USB port on your HC, this process is not for you.

For the CGX and CGX-L:

1. Using windows 10 or on MAC OS. Download Java and install. If you already have it, make sure to update to the recent version. This is NOT loaded normally on your computer. So, more than likely you

need it. https://www.java.com/en/

2. a) Download the latest (CFM) from the Celestron site.

http://software.cele...pdates/CFM/CFM/

This is the firmware software that will talk to your mount, hand controller (HC), maybe your StarSens as well, if you have one. After it's installed. DO NOT RUN it yet.

b) Connect the ( USB A/The big end) to the computer. Be sure you have the length needed for this cable to reach your HC. Don't plug it in to the HC yet.

3. Connect HC to mount and be sure you have power hooked up to mount. DON'T turn it on yet...

4. Before you turn on the mount. Press and hold the "Celestron/logo" key (Bottom left of the HC) and the "7/Menu" key. As you are holding them both down, turn on mount. Let it cycle to the "BOOT LOADER Serial CFM Request" prompt on the HC. Then you can take your finger off the buttons.

5. Connect USB mini B cable to bottom of HC.

6. Launch CFM. It will open two windows. The little window that pop up will list all components that it found. Anything you have hooked up should appear on the list. RA, DEC, HC, etc... 

7. Go to your CFM software (big window) and you should see what buttons are highlighted. You may need to download the firmware files first, top selection. Then the update button should highlight. Click it and the CFM will complete any needed downloads and install them. It will show a message once it's completed.

Note:

Be sure to give it time. The first time I tried this, I thought it was done before I turned it off. oops.  You should see around ten or so files as each is installed. Took about 5+ mins.

Also, The first time around it didn't find the mount RA so I performed this exact same process and it found it and updated. 

8. After you see the completed message, turn off your mount power, Then disconnect the USB from the HC. You should be ready to go...

• moonrider likes this

#23 Glass Eye

Glass Eye

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

I did not have to perform your step 4. I tested several times and my HC went into boot loader mode every time I started CFM.

• moonrider likes this

#24 moonrider

moonrider

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

A big thank you to all!  I will try and do the update using your  procedure .  I have not heard from Celestron so I trust other CGX owners who have done the updates without any serious issues. I am concerned that the mount will behave correctly as after I tried the update, failed , did the factory reset and now does not go to switch position and does not slew to stars when attempting alignment. But, Ifeel positive that the info you have provided will help me fix the mess I'm in.

Thank you all!

• Dynan likes this

#25 NZhendo

NZhendo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

I did my CGX yesterday. No issues. I connect:

1. Mini USB Laptop to HC

2. Mini USB to Laptop StarSence

3. Star sense to mount.

4. HC to mount.

I DON'T connect USB to mount.

Turn mount on, wait for it to boot. Run CFM, it detects all devices, click update and all updated OK.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics