•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

saturn from last year plus update on geographical imagological situation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

just really wanted to check in. the house went on the market today and its expected to sell fast. I havent had enough time to look for paying work or an apartment I have been to busy fixing up the house. apparently my evil sister seems to like living with her millionare husband down north to give a **** about the house so I had to do all the work. anyway a new option  the realestate agent mentioned is buying a piece of land and putting a trailer on it then i can have my observatory and a roof over my head with the cool florida wild life right outside. other option is get a red necking truck , sell the gem , put the optics back in the bob mount with the wiry truss tube and install servo cats then I can live in a concrete jungle apartment complex and just drive to the beach and set up . its a lot easier to set up a bob then a gem anyway I would have put this some where else on this forum but this is the only place i seem to visit or seem to be known. if i ask a question else where i get how big is your scope and check for local clubs on how to set it up lol at least most users here are familiar with my level and equipment. I would post a fresh shot but iv been to bussy perhaps tomorow morning ill give jove a shot

july2sat20181_AS_f5000_g5_ap28_200002.jpg

• KpS, RedLionNJ, CPellier and 6 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:36 AM

Hey man. good to hear from you. So will you be splitting the proceeds of the house with your sister?

Land/trailer sounds like the best of those options to me. Transporting a big dob all the time would mean youd get WAAAY less observing done...just tough logistically and youd only go when conditions are GUARANTEED which cuts out a lot of successful speculative nights.

Best of luck regardless. That image absolutely rocks.

• RunningMan, Augustus, Allanbarth1 and 1 other like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Best Saturn image ever !

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

That Saturn is absolutely breathtaking.
Best of luck whatever way things work out, Joe👍👍

#5 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Hey man. good to hear from you. So will you be splitting the proceeds of the house with your sister?

Land/trailer sounds like the best of those options to me. Transporting a big dob all the time would mean youd get WAAAY less observing done...just tough logistically and youd only go when conditions are GUARANTEED which cuts out a lot of successful speculative nights.

Best of luck regardless. That image absolutely rocks.

I agree. I need to doo somethig where my scope stays out all the time eve if i just took in the mirror cell or just covered it and let enough oppen to let air in when the sun rises so internal dew evaporates. thats one reason why i wont ever fully cover the scope. my current situation I can be ready to image as fastt as it takes me to drag out the scope, point ra to polaris a quick polar alignment, plug in drives, laptop and cam find the planet and image. if it werent for that simplicity I would have never have got that nice dust storm on mars vid.and if I have to go with a long process to set up also keep in mind im not taking care of mom anymore i have to join the working word so either way I wont be doing so much imaging this year unless by some miracle i get a good lotto ticket lol

then again leave the scope parts in a covered red necking pick up, drive some where close by just to avoid concrete/ hot roof tops set up bob mount and do a servo cat lign up really doent sound to hard either . if its a 4 door red nek truck then i can leave the scope in the back seat. I can also just sell the mount and 16 inch in its bob form and just buy a simple edge c14 and mount on a much lighter tripod. but im not a fan of fast sct's i will wait till jove is high up and at 50' then image it with an asi 290 then we can compare notes with other mages from 14 inch sct owners. but not this year. if i am corect i belive Jupiter will be even lower then last year i duno I only glimpsed it 1 day since it came round the sun. I am contemplating setting up this evening and going to bed real early and getting up early. i have to be out tomorow at ten for house showings..... wonder what these people must think when they see the scope???

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

If you post that Saturn image one more time, I'll try & have you banned Ferret..! :lol:

<"just buy a simple edge c14 and mount on a much lighter tripod. but im not a fan of fast sct's"> What the heck are those types of SCT's Ferret..?!? bigshock.gif

You've got a really fast f7 if I remember correctly - my C14's an f11..! :rofl:

As to your choices, I agree with Nick to a fair degree...I feel that any servo-driven dob "could" be a step backwards, but it all boils down to money & opportunity in the end: good luck with whatever eventuates..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#7 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

Don't mind Darryl, Ferret, that is a lovely image! I too like the idea of the trailer. Maybe do a bit of ten year planning using Stellarium to check for the best location and orientation of your block and where to put the trailer. Hope it all works out well.

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

unfortunately my mothers house has not been renovated or updated since built I have to split with my sister and i owe her money for running the house since moms death so im not sure how much i will wind up with as for darls comment te the primary mirrors fl im conceaned with an sct primary has a what is it f 2 f 2.5 that means its colimation will be more crucial then my 16f7 with its 10 foot fl at least thats how i feal aboot it I can put a 1 inch stop around the mirror and itl behave like a 14 f 10 or 11 14 x 10 =140 so its still just below f10 but if i did that i could chiuck in a much amaller secondary to lol i knw im not making much sense the best image on this forum iv seen from non professional observatory scopes still has to be from rac and his scope is a super shorty what kind of drive does he have ? platform servo cats? im just pre pplanning in cas i wind up in a 3rd floor apt in port fierce where the rent is cheap and there are lots f marinas to work at. if i can get a decent juob ill keep the mount and just buy servo cats for the bob 

#9 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

If you post that Saturn image one more time, I'll try & have you banned Ferret..! lol.gif

<"just buy a simple edge c14 and mount on a much lighter tripod. but im not a fan of fast sct's"> What the heck are those types of SCT's Ferret..?!? bigshock.gif

You've got a really fast f7 if I remember correctly - my C14's an f11..! rofl2.gif

As to your choices, I agree with Nick to a fair degree...I feel that any servo-driven dob "could" be a step backwards, but it all boils down to money & opportunity in the end: good luck with whatever eventuates..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

its a nice image and i have no desire or time to image. tommorow i need to get up and out early the house needs to be clean i was gong to go out tonight but im tird sio to bed early plus its freezing cold 60degrees out tonight ill try for a jove monday morning or perhaps Sunday morning if i can get up at 430 ish. If I didnt post an image the thread would have been moved to an alien part of the forum at least here i have a following . you guys are like familly and i seem to have no more familly its just day after day all alone in this house. i think an apartment in a complex with hope full new friends may be a good thing . its 10 pm o clock in the evening if i go sleepys in the next hour i should bounce out of bed in the am

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

I think SCT's are the easiest scopes to collimate to the best degree (ie, star) Ferret - but I wouldn't want you to have to sell your scope...& I agree about the greater f/ratio Newts being easier to handle in some ways...just not physically! :lol:

However, I wouldn't think there are too many "social" situations in apartment blocks unless you're talking about Old Folks Homes - which I don't think you are..! :lol:

Anyway, I'm almost a cripple atm but I've just set my mount up ready for my scope later & a wishful shot at the new storm activity on Mars - took pikkies as I did it completely on my lonesome to demonstrate anyone can do it...even someone who has both arms etc very bad atm. ;)

Good luck again for whatever eventuates. waytogo.gif

• Lacaille likes this

#11 Mirzam

Mirzam

Aurora

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

FWIW, Backyard Observatories has built large roll off roof structures that include a live in space that is always under roof.  This would be a nice alternative to a trailer for a single person.  Not relocatable though.

JimC

Edited by Mirzam, 13 January 2019 - 09:55 AM.

• moonwatching ferret likes this

#12 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

I think SCT's are the easiest scopes to collimate to the best degree (ie, star) Ferret - but I wouldn't want you to have to sell your scope...& I agree about the greater f/ratio Newts being easier to handle in some ways...just not physically! lol.gif

However, I wouldn't think there are too many "social" situations in apartment blocks unless you're talking about Old Folks Homes - which I don't think you are..! lol.gif

Anyway, I'm almost a cripple atm but I've just set my mount up ready for my scope later & a wishful shot at the new storm activity on Mars - took pikkies as I did it completely on my lonesome to demonstrate anyone can do it...even someone who has both arms etc very bad atm. wink.gif

Good luck again for whatever eventuates. waytogo.gif

I can lean towards a c14 as for my bob I am pretty sure the previous owner may be interested. i Just realized an issue with the whole setup that has evaded my ferret senses. I got mny comments aboot my cscope looking like an sct with a super long dew shield due to how far up the rings i need to keep it. It wont point near or close to zenith. by the looks of it i need to get a 1.25" thick by 2" wide steel bar 50" long and heat it with the torch to bend it round to make a weighted ring for the back of the tube or take the 10 pound weight and add it to the back of the tube so the tube can clear the mount sso i can image the moon I would be out messing with it now but it clouded up . the reason this evaded me is I dont use the scope for astronomy just imaging I never really pointed it at zenith besides my 10 foot ladder isnt the greatest . the ther alternative is of course a taller pear pier piear ... the tube between the 3 legs and eq head not the french man or fruit.. sorry im in a sad mood couldnt resist a joke  

#13 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

FWIW, Backyard Observatories has built large roll off roof structures that include a live in space that is always under roof.  This would be a nice alternative to a trailer for a single person.  Not relocatable though.

JimC

I think that could be the best advise so far. a nice shield to go around the sope to protect it from the wind lol 

#14 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

but whats the cost lol i still have to figure if i want to stay local wood bee nice to get a piece of land with a pond on it that has fish

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics