•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting more focuser travel on AT-10RC

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 archer1960

archer1960

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern New England

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

I have an AT-10RC that I bought used earlier this year. It came with a Feathertouch 3" focuser with 1.5" of travel. I am finding it a bit of a hassle when I switch between visual and photography on it, because I have to swap out the extension tubes (adding an inch or two for photographic use). I was looking at getting a longer travel 3" Feathertouch, but it appears that the outer diameter of the draw tube is just a hair bigger than the ID of the opening in the primary of the OTA, and would hit it when racked all the way in. A 2.5" one would definitely fit, though.

My question is, how much field of view would I lose in dropping down to a 2.5" focuser on that OTA, compared to the current 3" one?

Is there another option for making it so I don't have to swap extension tubes all the time? Would a Moonlight focuser have a slightly smaller OD draw tube?

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics