•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light on APM SA 100/45 Bino

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cyprus Limassol

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Good evening Friends

First of all I would like to thank everyone in this forum for guiding me through the procedure of finding my astro equipment! I attended as many as I could astrogatherings in my area to have a personal experience of my own looking through telescopes and binoculars ,so I preferred the stereo view 😎😎

And also many many thanks to the APM staff in Germany ,from the polite lady that answered the phone to Mr Buchwald who tested and packed the 100mm Beasts so they came to me perfectly collimated and packed like a fortress ! And last of all I would like to thank the man himself Mr Markus Ludes who answered all my questions and helped me through my decision! Excellent service from APM

So πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ first light for the APM SA 100 Bino! With supplied 18mm apm eyepieces.

Day time : pointed them at a mountain approximately 10km away the view was amazing! Field of view was crisp all the way ! I didn't saw any reflection but noticed very little CA

Night time (2hour session on my roof ,very clear contitions with a lovely crescent moon.

I was stunned by the Pleiades guys really I was speachless the 18mm eyepieces gave amazing view of the Pleiades I was able to observe the cluster clearly pin point stars it was amazing . I'm currently expecting a pair of uhc-s baader filters and I'm sure that the nebulosity will really pop out.

Same goes for the Orion nebula  amazing view thought the cloud was faint but I could see it !

Moon was excellent but with a yellow Fringe at times, 

What amazed me the most though is that the field of view is Crystal clear and full of stars it's like a 3D movie!πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Now time to save money for eyepieces πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ . Note I live in a fairly light polluted area but these beasts are not so heavy as I thought so next observation will be at the nearest mountain about 15 minutes drive πŸ˜€ 

Thank you all 

Costas from Cyprus.

• Mad Matt, paulsky, jdown and 6 others like this

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51Β°N 4Β°E

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the nice report, Costas!

• Costas andronikou likes this

#3 isogroup

isogroup

Explorer 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

Keep the observation reports coming. I've got these same binos on my "next to purchase" list. Particularly interested in how well M81, M101, and planets show up.  Thanks.

• Costas andronikou likes this

#4 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

You are welcome Mark.!

I will update as soon as the skies clear! Due to bad weather

#5 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:09 AM

Wheather took a pity on me at last ! But forecast is expecting dust from Africa (again) to arrive late today ( Cyprus is on the eastern med sea neighborhood ). I had an  hourly session @ 4:30 this morning with good conditions ! I was sweeping the skies with my 100mm baby and  looking approximately 40 degrees above Venus which was at half phace I stumbled across a pale green faint nebula/smudge but I don't know what it was , can anyone help me identify it ? Thanks in advance ps I'm gathering finances to aquire some 12.5 or 9 mm eyepieces probably morpheus !

#6 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hello people. It's been a pleasure tonight ! I had an ourly session just looking at Jupiter , I saw the lines clearly with shades of brown it was amazing! I also saw five of it's moons they were circling jupiter and I was amazed and excited looking a live show on the night sky! So after a use of about 2 months of the 5 mm paradigm dual Ed with my SA 100 I'm honestly believe that they are very  good on quality according on their price . Now I think I'm ready for extending the artillery by purchasing a pair of  TV delight's. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

#7 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

Now I think I'm ready for extending the artillery by purchasing a pair of  TV delight's. Any recommendations would be appreciated

If you search this binocular topic, you find that the Morpheus eyepiece line from Baader is highly recommended: 17.5; 12,5; 9; and the 6,5mm, the 14mm is not so good, for the fast F5.5 100mm binocular. 

Also the 12mm Delos is outstanding good but much more expensive then the 12.5mm Morpheus.

Because your binocular 'speed' is F5.5 you must use very good/ complex = expensive eyepieces to get good sharpness at the edge of the field especial for 'very wide' eyepieces (72 degree and more).

With eyepieces with over 76 degree field you can not see the edge of the field with both eyes simultaneously, but within the 76 degree image-circle the WOW factor for such ep is unsurpassed! 

G van der Veen

• Beg, ianatcn, SMark and 2 others like this

#8 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

If you search this binocular topic, you find that the Morpheus eyepiece line from Baader is highly recommended: 17.5; 12,5; 9; and the 6,5mm, the 14mm is not so good, for the fast F5.5 100mm binocular. 

Also the 12mm Delos is outstanding good but much more expensive then the 12.5mm Morpheus.

Because your binocular 'speed' is F5.5 you must use very good/ complex = expensive eyepieces to get good sharpness at the edge of the field especial for 'very wide' eyepieces (72 degree and more).

With eyepieces with over 76 degree field you can not see the edge of the field with both eyes simultaneously, but within the 76 degree image-circle the WOW factor for such ep is unsurpassed! 

G van der Veen

Very well explained !! Thank you very much! 

#9 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

G van der Veen

Hello Garret, 

Can you (or anyone) explain what you mean by "With eyepieces with over 76 degree field you can not see the edge of the field with both eyes simultaneously . . ."?   

James

#10 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

Hello Garret, 

Can you (or anyone) explain what you mean by "With eyepieces with over 76 degree field you can not see the edge of the field with both eyes simultaneously . . ."?   

James

I can’t speak for Garret and I’m not sure how he got exactly 76 degrees as the cut off, but if you have ever looked through a very wide field eyepiece with a single eye you will understand that you have to move your eye around to take in the entire field of view - in other words, to see the edge. The process of moving your eyes around is somewhat more restrictive when using two eyes in a binocular setting. Therefore, beyond a certain limit extra field of view is almost wasted because the edges cannot easily be seen properly with both eyes simultaneously. That is my understanding and experience, anyway.

Steve

• Rich V. and Mr. Bill like this

#11 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

I can’t speak for Garret and I’m not sure how he got exactly 76 degrees as the cut off, but if you have ever looked through a very wide field eyepiece with a single eye you will understand that you have to move your eye around to take in the entire field of view - in other words, to see the edge. The process of moving your eyes around is somewhat more restrictive when using two eyes in a binocular setting. Therefore, beyond a certain limit extra field of view is almost wasted because the edges cannot easily be seen properly with both eyes simultaneously. That is my understanding and experience, anyway.

Steve

Yep that's what I mean... it's only a minor issue, most of the time you keep the object in the middle of the field.

The Baader Morpheus eyepieces are optimized for bino viewing (thus viewing with both eyes even at the edge of the field), for this reasons they are limited to 76 degree.

Garrett

Edited by garret, 15 May 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

I find the 76 degree fov of the Morpheus eps to be ideal in my BT binos.....I think that the Morpheus line was specifically designed for binos, especially appreciate the straight barrels without the cutoffs (are you listening TV....not!)

• SMark and Costas andronikou like this

#13 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Thank you all for that very clear explanation.  And so, I wonder, why do a lot of folks want to buy any EP that is greater than 76 degree FOV (for 100-90 BTs like the one I'm getting)?  I've read about the many observers that enjoy the views offered from the (for me very expensive) Docter 12.5 and yet that EP is 84 degrees.  Would it be fair to say that there are other characteristics in play, such as clarity, sharpness, contrast, etc.?

James

Edited by astrofan007, 15 May 2019 - 08:28 PM.

#14 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

Mr. Bill, what are "cutoffs"? 

James

#15 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

Mr. Bill, what are "cutoffs"? 

James

I'm not Mr.Bill grin.gif

Almost nobody likes cut-offs (red arrow). 

With brass compression rings or twist-lock eyepiece-holders cut-offs are completely unnecessary and inconvenient.

Attached Thumbnails

• cutoff.jpg

Edited by garret, 16 May 2019 - 12:01 PM.

• starzonesteve likes this

#16 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

I'm not Mr.Bill grin.gif

Almost nobody likes cut-offs (red arrow). 

With brass compression rings or twist-lock eyepiece-holders cut-offs are completely unnecessary and inconvenient.

I would never have guessed that.  Thank you Garret.

#17 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

So, I do have some additional questions:

1. Is it normal to observe a yellow ring around the near-full moon, as I did tonight via the APM 100-90 and 18mm EPs?

2. Should stars be precisely pinpoint in a Semi-APO or pretty close to it but not 100 percent?   And to get 100 percent one has to buy a true APO?

James

Edited by astrofan007, 16 May 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#18 Costas andronikou

Costas andronikou

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

So, I do have some additional questions:

1. Is it normal to observe a yellow ring around the near-full moon, as I did tonight via the APM 100-90 and 18mm EPs?

2. Should stars be precisely pinpoint in a Semi-APO or pretty close to it but not 100 percent?   And to get 100 percent one has to buy a true APO?

James

The yellow fringe is normal . I see some fringing around the moon but not all the time . The stars are pin point and I can tell you for sure , I love my sa100 !

#19 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

I have the Orion version. It's an Achro, so yes you do have some minor CA. But it's a good performer and an excellent Binocular.

#20 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Thank you all for that very clear explanation.  And so, I wonder, why do a lot of folks want to buy any EP that is greater than 76 degree FOV (for 100-90 BTs like the one I'm getting)?  I've read about the many observers that enjoy the views offered from the (for me very expensive) Docter 12.5 and yet that EP is 84 degrees.  Would it be fair to say that there are other characteristics in play, such as clarity, sharpness, contrast, etc.?

James

I don't like seeing any field stop at all. To me, that is kinda like watching a concert behind a window rather than out in the open.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics