•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M52 and Bubble Nebula

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Haven, Utah

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

I tried to photo both M52 and the Bubble.  I don't have a go to mount so I use my setting circles on my C8 and my Nikon piggy backed on the tube.  I thought I pointed in the right direction using my 300mm telephoto.  I think I missed.  The first photo is what I got but it doesn't compare to one I'm trying to duplicate.  I know one can send a photo someplace and they will tell you what stars your looking at, but I can't remember the site.  Here's the first photo and then the second that I'm trying to duplicate.  Please help, I'm not having much luck searching star charts.bubble_rev3.jpg

Edited by drknapper, 14 January 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#2 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Photo I'm trying to duplicate

Attached Thumbnails

• nm_bubble_2.jpg

#3 tuc

tuc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:52 PM

Hi, I believe you have captured open cluster NGC 7789. It's in Cassiopaeia, a little over 6 degrees away from M52.

#4 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:25 AM

Given that this photo appears also in the DSLR forum, what medium was it taken on?

#5 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

It does looks like a film image, complete with the vignetting. Slide dupe? If scanned, looks like the upper end may have been cut. Too crunchy. My Epson scanner is in 16 bit mode and in "Professional" mode and the scanning parameters are set manually with each frame to be scanned. I leave plenty of pedestal on the clear base end and cap above the denser part of the negatives and slides. You got a 16 bit depth to play with on scarcely an 8 bit emulsion image. Pixinsight DBE is used in the 16 bit tiff to rid the vignetting, darkroom developing problems and the other natural sky gradients. I finish off in PS-6. 

tuc, Good catch on the NGC 7789! I don't have that target yet. I have 755 viable finished pretty images in my spreadsheet going back to 1971. Some of the scanned film images are yet to be in that list. I'm going through and scan my old film images as a result of scanning family and the old star party images. 

Joe

#6 drknapper

drknapper

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone

#7 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

I tried to photo both M52 and the Bubble.  I don't have a go to mount so I use my setting circles on my C8 and my Nikon piggy backed on the tube.  I thought I pointed in the right direction using my 300mm telephoto.  I think I missed.  The first photo is what I got but it doesn't compare to one I'm trying to duplicate.  I know one can send a photo someplace and they will tell you what stars your looking at, but I can't remember the site.  Here's the first photo and then the second that I'm trying to duplicate.  Please help, I'm not having much luck searching star charts.attachicon.gif bubble_rev3.jpg

Here is a site that will help you identify what you took an image of.

http://astrometry.net/

#8 cosmoem19

cosmoem19

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:15 PM

Stunning photo. 

#9 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:55 AM

It is always fun to see two deep sky objects of different kind in one photo.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics