•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field Flattener for AT72EDII

EAA optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ulmish

Ulmish

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Ulm, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:06 PM

My Astro-Tech AT72EDII order is finally back in stock and arriving on Wednesday!  I plan to use this for wide field EAA as well as a portable setup for when we travel.

I'm not sure whether to get a field flattener (no reduction) or a combo field flattener / 0.8x reducer.  I've been looking at the Astro-Tech offerings, they have both, but the FF-Reducer is back ordered.  Orion also makes a small refractor FF (no reduction) that seems to get good reviews, so that might be another option. 

I know I'll lose a some of aperture if I go with the straight reducer, and the field of view will be a little narrower.  The difference doesn't seem huge though?  The cameras I'm currently using are the ZWO ASI224 and ASI385, but I'm thinking seriously about getting a larger chip camera like the ASI294 in the future.

I'm torn between waiting for the Astro Tech FF-Reducer to get back in stock, or go for instant gratification and get a plain FF with no reduction.  Can anyone offer any insight into this dilemma?  :-)

Roger

• ghostboo likes this

#2 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

I'd wait for the FF/.8 reducer if I were you. It does make a difference. You can plug the numbers into Stellarium to see how much more you can fit with different objects. BTW, my AT72EDII has become my workhorse scope for imaging. My favorite upgrade to it was a second finder shoe. I have my guide scope on one and my laser on the other. Congratulations.

#3 Ulmish

Ulmish

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Ulm, TX

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the comments, Brian.  My AT72EDII arrived today, really impressed with the build quality.  Now to wait for a clear night.  Should be interesting to see how much field distortion there is with my ASI224.

What finder shoe(s) are you using?

Roger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics