The one part of reassembly I was not looking forward to was installing the big RA counterweight.
With all other parts I did a practice assembly, making sure things fit. I let my guard down with the mother off all counterweights. I had my buddy Ed, (who helped with initial disassembly) come on over to help. We hoisted the thing in place only to discover that it didn't quite fit, it was wedged in place at an odd angle. There was a lip that got painted that caused the interference. The other complication was that the holes did not all line up!
Here is a picture of the weight prior to initial disassembly, the outer countersunk holes that look equally spaced in fact are not, some are out by 3mm in spacing! I was not amused.
Once the weight was wedged on it required some effort to extract:
After we worked the weight loose I decided to also remove the counterweight extension tube to determine the preferred orientation. After the layer of paint on the mating lip was removed we tested the fit on the work bench and placed tape markers to set orientation and reinstalled. All that messign around damaged the paint job, but it was expected that this would happen, many paint touch ups are planned.
The Zeiss Coudé is an interesting instrument, some difficult components are super precisely machined, while simple things like bolt hole spacing is not. This is the third of fourth component that has exhibited preferential orientation when there is no reason for it. I would imagine they had indexing heads in the mills when these holes were drilled...
I've got a feeling that every instrument will be different.