•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss Coudé telescope rebfurbish

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#426 RichardHennig

RichardHennig

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:59 PM

While the person on the left looks a bit like Egon Krenz, I am certain that it is not him. Even in the late 80’s Krenz looked much younger with dark hair and did not usually wear glasses. I do not recognize any of the people and suspect that these are VEB CZJ managers and local party representatives.

Just Google Egon Krenz and you will see the resemblance. So this Photo might be from the 1980s.

Arne

#427 RichardHennig

RichardHennig

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:13 PM

Peter, thanks for sharing the story of your rescue of the Zeiss Coude refractor. I have looked through one of those unique instruments in the mid 80’s as a kid. Seeing the pictures and reading the description of your refurbishing effort is fun. Seeing the instrument, brings back memories.
  • tbowkman likes this

#428 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Vendor (Ceravolo Optical Systems)

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:18 AM

The Antique Telescope Society held its virtual meeting a few weeks back. It was my first virtual meeting and I was impressed how well it went off. Congratulations to the organizers!

You can find all the talks, including mine on the Coudé restoration, at the following link:

https://www.youtube....GMKy-G9p_2IOIEA

• TG, dready, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#429 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 17 December 2020 - 12:03 PM

The mods should pin this thread so that it doesn't go away.

• jcruse64 likes this

#430 Benschop

Benschop

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 28 March 2021 - 01:08 PM

Peter

Very impressed with the restoration, and the effort documenting the process.

A new servo drive will not, in my opinion, detract from the mechanical / optical restoration.

#431 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:25 AM

Peter

Very impressed with the restoration, and the effort documenting the process.

A new servo drive will not, in my opinion, detract from the mechanical / optical restoration.

Thanks, it was a an enriching project.

Doing a RA drive is not a big deal, but the declination will require grafting on a geared motor that has the potential of taking away from it's classic nature.

So I'm conflicted... I think at this point doing the simplest thing, adding a simple 10 rpm motor to the RA drive train, and using the telescope as is, is the thing to do for now.

#432 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:11 PM

A virtual meeting is just perfect since the Zeiss Coude Refractor that I "own" is also virtual. LOL!

Seriously, I would love to own one but budgetary constraints plus the fact that I wouldn't have a place to house an instrument of such prominence. I'll just have to be satisfied with the memories of the old 6" Zeiss which was housed in the G.S.O. back in the day. The views of the Moon in the bino-viewer, WOW!

Peter, you have not only done a great job in restoring the old "girl" but by doing so you have done a great service to future viewers of that great instrument. Thank-you! We need more people like you. A labour of love taking, what, thousands of hours? Again, thank-you!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• PawPaw likes this

#433 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

The mods should pin this thread so that it doesn't go away.

Good idea! I lost track of this thread somehow just before the Pandemic hit and just this morning I got caught back up. What a great read and what a wonderful restoration project. Thank you Mr. Ceravolo for saving this amazing instrument and giving it new life. I look forward to seeing your wife Debra’s solar images.

#434 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:52 AM

Good idea! I lost track of this thread somehow just before the Pandemic hit and just this morning I got caught back up. What a great read and what a wonderful restoration project. Thank you Mr. Ceravolo for saving this amazing instrument and giving it new life. I look forward to seeing your wife Debra’s solar images.

My dear Ralph and Terra, thank you.

And y'all may call me Peter... please... :-)

• Terra Nova and rcwolpert like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics