•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Easy lift table EQ8 head & C14 mounting...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

Hi - I've commented on this a few times here & thought it worth putting some quick piks together - I'll probably do the same when we next image if the salted ice bag is necessary to get the mirror to ambient to show how simple & quick it is...but apologies for the quality of the piks due to their being poor quality iphone snaps! frown.gif

I have the EQ8 head (which has 2 handles) mounted on a piece of thick circular MDF using a couple of c/sunk threads & nuts to secure it thereon...this makes it very easy to lift manually by grabbing the handles, tilting it forward to balance on the edge of the MDF & lifting with the opposite edge of the MDF resting against your midriff - very ergonomic! smile.gif

But here we see it sitting on the hydraulic lift table jacked up to slightly above the height of the tripod top - actually a motorbike lift & around $100US purchased new.

#1.jpg

I've raised it to this height to allow me to rest the edge of the MDF's underside on the edge of the tripod top where the mount head attaches...then removed the bolts securing the head to the MDF (removing the nuts & pushing the bolts out via the underside of the MDF - the lift table has a cutaway section in the tabletop.)

#2.jpg

The mount head is pushed to the side to rest principally on the tripod top...then the lift table is pushed aside slightly to allow the head to sit squarely on the tripod top to be bolted down: note that there is no delicate balancing act fraught with risk for this part of the operation - it is all very secure & I would not attempt anything risky whatsoever at my age & with my financial predicament! lol.gif.

#3.jpg

#5.jpg

#6.jpg

The C14 is rolled in on the lift table on a similar piece of MDF with the mount head's RA swung such that the c/weight bar is parallel to the ground (no weights!) with the mount head's dovetail jaws open ready to accept the C14 dovetail.

#7.jpg

Using the wheels of the lift table to position the C14's dovetail roughly we wiggle the tube itself slightly to get the jaws & dovetail mated - this is a simple, easy & light process...

Once mated up we close the mount head's jaws so that there is still ability to raise the scope via the lift table hydraulics but keep it within the jaws...we have marked the d/tail for where different imaging  rigs & the scope have their Dec balance. ("MC" & "MM" designating colour & mono camera trains.)

#9.jpg

The mount head jaws are tightened up once we have raised the scope to the correct height & then the counterweights are placed in their (marked) positions for RA balance & the entire shebang swung into position...although if we need to cool the scope we will leave it resting with the RA bar parallel to the ground position (with scope facing straight down & weights attached) to apply the bag of salted ice...another simple & quick procedure..! wink.gif

#10.jpg

• Starman27, eros312, JoeR and 3 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

ps: this was all done by myself without Pat's assistance to show that not only is it easy, but taking the photos whilst doing so to demonstrate the stability of each stage of the procedure... ;)

#3 kenkolen

kenkolen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

I love the idea, as a matter of fact it would work on putting my generator in my truck when heading out to a dark sky location.

#4 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

Sweet!  I use one of these [https://www.amazon.c...truck jib crane] mounted on a hitch receiver cast into the side of my pier when I need to toss the mounts/ OTA's around ... like yours, safer and saves the back!

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

I love the idea, as a matter of fact it would work on putting my generator in my truck when heading out to a dark sky location.

...many uses around the place Neal - we have one of those Honda 3kW units with its own wheels & trolley bar & it's actually very easy to put in & out of our caravan for our regular out-bush imaging locations...but if we want it in the back of the Pathfinder the trolley can make it easy-peasy as well! smile.gif

I'm in my 70th year & still recovering from serious left arm & right hand injuries - if I could do it single-handedly a couple of days back anyone should be able to with an absolute minimum of effort! smile.gif

Mind you, choward's lift boom that I think fits onto the rear towbar of a pickup etc is another good device I've seen, although the lift trolley is more amenable to mount & scope setting up & down imho - here's the lift table by itself, which I've posted elsewhere before.

LiftTable.jpg

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

...you beat me to mentioning your rig choward..! :lol:

• choward94002 likes this

#7 kenkolen

kenkolen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

The red table, how can I find one of those to purchase?

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

The red table, how can I find one of those to purchase?

...I put the braked wheels onto it myself which was easy to do but some already have them fitted: I tried searching - but isn't it often the case that you cannot find something when you look again! lol.gif

I know that they are available in the US (I'm in Oz) because I have seen at least one other person post an image of the selfsame unit here on CN...best I can do at short notice is this: https://www.alibaba.....61d23a60cAvXEq  & other similar ones...

This mob: https://www.vidaxl.c...ASABEgJZ7vD_BwE  have a much heftier price tag...but if we can get them new cheaply (about $140AUS = $100US) from discount machinery outlets here, then there surely must be loads of stateside stores..! wink.gif

#9 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Lift table available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...7738314&sr=8-10

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics