•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are these worth anything?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

I got these two microscope objectives along with a bunch of miscellaneous lenses when I bought a telescope off of Ebay. One is labeled AO Spencer 10 X and N.A.  .25 and Made in U.S.A.  918345 all in black lettering.  The other is labeled SWIFT E and 4  0.15 all in yellow lettering. They seem to be in good condition. The AO Spencer comes with the red plastic case. Just wondering if they are worth anything.

SmMicroObj2.jpg

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

If worth means money then probably not very much but if worth means useful then the answer is yes, at least one like the AO was for me. I mounted the objective in a short piece of plastic tubing with a spare telescope eyepiece at the other end to make a hand held microscope that is short and compact. With it I can view the tiniest things.

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 17 January 2019 - 03:19 PM.

• deepwoods1 and cookjaiii like this

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hummmm, I have a few around here somewhere. Never though about a handheld micro......

#4 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

I like that idea...handheld microscope! 

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

I needed something like that for my old Bausch and Lomb microscope. I got one for $15 on ebay. Never know if someone needs one to finish a project.

#6 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

I was asked for details about my hand held microscope so decided to post about it here for others who may be interested.

The eyepiece is a small Ramsden type. I don't know the focal length but it is short, only about 1/8" in front of the field lens. The distance between the end of the eyepiece and objective lens mounting shoulder is 1.5".

As you know, magnification is determined by the respective focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece and the distance between them. The greater the separation the higher the magnification. However, the down side with higher magnification is a reduced depth of field at the object plane.

After experimenting with different separations I arrived at what I considered an acceptable separation for sufficiently high magnification and chose a transparent plastic 35mm film can to mount the optics in. The inside was darkened with a dull finish black paper and the outside covered with adhesive aluminum duct tape. In other words, I used materials I had on hand. smile.gif

I've posted two pictures in my photo album. https://www.cloudyni...400-microscope/

If you like experimenting and have the optics, give it a try. flowerred.gif

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 18 January 2019 - 11:25 AM.

• sarastro, Peter B and Mike E. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics