•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Focus Motor Problems...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:06 AM

Thanks to a friend of mine I was able to locate the Celestron Focus Motor for sale and was really excited to get my hands on it.

I have an EdgeHD 925 with an EdgeHD x.7 Reducer and a Celestron Off-Axis Guide, what could POSSIBLY go wrong right? ... Well it doesn't seem as easy as I was hoping it's going to be. 

I followed the instruction manual in the preparation, and when it came to installing the focuser to my surprise I couldn't! The Reducer was in the way by a mere millimeter! After a bit of force and adjusting the positioning of the reducer I was able to insert the focuser in, and it was extremely difficult to manage securing the two screws due to the angle the reducer is pushing it against. Once I had everything good to go and started working on setting up the software side of things... I found out that the driver for it was not signed and I had to do a bit of fun around with Windows to resolve this problem (you'd think a system that was JUST released would have a signed driver but alas..) Finally I got the software to work I click on the connect, it connects, I click on "BEGIN" calibration the focuser moves a bit than stops to find out that it's pretty much obstructed from making further motions due to the angle it was installed pushing against the reducer. 

The moral of the story here it seems that if you are using a reducer (which I don't think anyone is not for AP) there will be problems. If someone figured a way around this PLEASE let me know. 

Thanks 

Tim 

#2 sdrexler11791

sdrexler11791

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

I purchased both but have not installed either yet for my 925 edgehd. Will give it a shot this weekend.

#3 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

Just removed my Reducer and it worked like a charm. Someone didn't do proper testing during pre-production... 

#4 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

That's pathetic...

#5 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

The celestron focuser is highly unreliable on my setup. I bought it for an 8” rasa.
I can not use it for unattended sessions. The driver keeps freezing, effectively making my session stop. I was able to adapt a robofocus which is my default system that always works. It’s also unclear to me how they implemented the backlash compensation.

#6 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:08 AM

Andy; I had a similar issue but I found out the reason it was happening was it pushing against the Reducer causing a bad angle hold on the focus knob making it harder for the motor to operate. I have opened a ticket with Celestron but I doubt barring them recalling it and providing a newer modified version anything else can be done.

#7 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:20 AM

Interesting, in my case I didn’t have anything impeding the movement of the focuser. And it was mounted correctly being square with the scope.
The robofocus is dependable so I will be using that instead. I should have done that in the first place.

#8 TimmyTim

TimmyTim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:59 AM

Completely missed that you are using a RASA. What I’ve seen in another thread that the mounting screws were rubbing against the rotar causing problems as well.

#9 mlnewton

mlnewton

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

It states very clearly on the Celestron site that the 9.25 scope is NOT compatible with the focus motor. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics