•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

favorite hand-held astro binos?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#176 davekelley

davekelley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

i’m surprised to admit that the Vixen SG 2.1 x 42 have become my favorite handheld astro binocs.

They do look very interesting but surely, the exit pupil is going to be stupidly big?  I am curious about them, sounds like a proper novelty/treat.

#177 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

They do look very interesting but surely, the exit pupil is going to be stupidly big?  I am curious about them, sounds like a proper novelty/treat.

These are a Galileian optical design. Exit pupil is not the same as conventional systems. Heres a link:

https://agenaastro.c...-binocular.html

The reviews at the bottom of the page explain it better than I can.

I use the Vixens (beautifully made in Saitama Japan), similar glasses from Kasai Trading, the Wide-Bino 2.3x40 (easily adapted to 2" filters) and the recently introduced Hinode 1.8x40 (largest sweet spot of the 3) from Hutech. They are all a blast to use but I confess they're probably not for everyone. The term "constellation glasses" comes closest to describing this type of binocular.

These are often used in conjunction with my favorite hand held astronomy binocular, the Vixen SG 6.5x32.

Edited by desertlens, 11 March 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#178 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

While I did say earlier in this thread that my favorite hand held binos was the 12x50 Pentax SP waterproof, I have been using my 8x42 Bushnell Legend M Series a lot more! Compared to the Pentax, it's like going from a standard widescreen TV to an HD TV.  !!!

Vibrant, true color, long eye relief, sharpness to about 80%, light in weight, zero CA, and so many other features make these my all time favorite binocular as of now.

Some have complained about the small space in between the barrels when mounting them if their IPD is small. Easy solution for me was to mount them upside down and change each eye setting. Works great as you can see in the bottom pic.

Kowa has a mount which can solve this issue for narrow roofs, got mine from B&H.

#179 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

Kowa has a mount which can solve this issue for narrow roofs, got mine from B&H.

This Pentax slim tripod adapter also works well for 12x magnification & under.

https://www.ebay.com...25452412?chn=ps

Stan

#180 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:11 AM

Interesting thread. I find my favorite hand-held astro bino is one of the the Fujinon FMT-SX models:

7x50

10x50

10x70

And, of course, 

Vixen 2.1x42

• hallelujah likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics