•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A nice Aristarcus + my possible new digs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

Ok so I need first to ask question has anyone cut open a zwo cable is it just a coax cable ? does it have multiple wires in it with a foil wrap like a coax? can it be extended? or can i order a new one. ? I also need a new ar window but im just thinking of finding out from hp scientific if i can just sendd in my asi 224 for a check up since iv catapulted it acros the yard and dropped it once or twice.. When I am imaging the planets and they are low i can reach the focus without any extentions . the extention cable i have doesnt seem to want to work with the cable i have. So for tonighs trick I had to place a bucket on top of my imaging table with 2 of my umx rc plane boxes under it to get the laptop high enough to reach the wee short media head cable. still dont know why zwo cant ofer up a 10 or 12 foot long cable my old cable worked fine with the extension.

You will have to forgive the orientation I would have rotated the inages to match or just rotated the cam if i thought of it. tonight's session was a nightmare 1 image is with the 2x barlow the other is with the adc installed. both are full screen asi 224mc

I posted some pics of the trailer i found I havent looked at it yet and im not 100% positive i'll be lucky enough to get it but its in a nice park not a white trash beavis and but head trailer park lol it looks like home and if i get insurance ill probably get to make a lot of money in the park working on other trailers its 600 a month to keep it there and there asking 15000 but i was told to make an offer i will go and look tomorow   i like the screen poorch lol and the back faces woods

2019-01-19-0208_4-L_AS_f5000_g5_ap40_conv_2.jpg

2019-01-19-0250_6-L_AS_f5000_g5_ap12_conv_2.jpg

00q0q_ctzYwgLLKYm_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_7xh0taZVueW_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_cKxS4jEKNon_1200x900 (1).jpg

00x0x_4MfnfEVKVhk_1200x900.jpg

• Carol L, cyberplocos, eros312 and 1 other like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gifwaytogo.gif  

#3 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

im surprised you didnt make any comments on the pics of the home... it looks like home to me a neighbor wants me to make an offer tomorriw im not sure if i want to say 12000 or just say 15000 and get it over with to make sure i get it its in a nice park and a nice neigborhood and has a few crokogators agilators or whatever you call thse big newts

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:43 AM

I assume that you'd want USB3 for the fastest capture rate. In any case, it's unlikely you can either repair or make your own USB3 cable as there are multiple, small wires and shielding. Also, USB3 cables should be kept at or less than 3 meters (about 10 feet). However, you can use an active USB3 extender to go out to 15 meters but a decent extender is going to cost upwards of $30 (or more). The other option is to use a powered USB3 hub with 3 meter cables for both input and output.

As for your new digs, I hope things go well, but did you really mean to say "its 600 a month to keep it there and there asking 15000?" Fifteen (15) thousand dollars total? That seems awfully low, since something like that would probably be $50,000 to $75,000 in California (with city utilities, water, power, and sewer).

Edited by james7ca, 19 January 2019 - 01:51 AM.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:51 AM

im surprised you didnt make any comments on the pics of the home... it looks like home to me a neighbor wants me to make an offer tomorriw im not sure if i want to say 12000 or just say 15000 and get it over with to make sure i get it its in a nice park and a nice neigborhood and has a few crokogators agilators or whatever you call thse big newts

I'm not too good atm Ferret - sciatic pain is sending me round the twist atm... :(

If those quotes/prices are correct & you want it, then I imagine that you could do the same as over here in Oz - make an offer that is dependant upon the sale of your Mum's house & disbursement of the proceeds...

What the heck did you think those waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif meant..?!?

#6 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:33 AM

Trailer looks good. Any issues with you keeping the scope on your section of the park?

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

ony thing the person I spoke to said nothing obtrusive If worst comes to worst ill finish building my 12 incher with the split aluminum tubes and metal tube bafels put that on the gem sell that and get servo cats so the scope can stay on the cute little poorch and i will just rol it out on a dolly when i want to use it as for the cables i will just order a new cavble from hp scientific if i can and a new 12 foot usb3 extension. i missed out this morning on my last chance for a decent jupiter i slept in. tomorow is a cod front. but if all goes well and i get this trailer i will be happy with that.

as for imaging jupiter fr now i have more important things to do

#8 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

I wish you nothing but positives on your prospective purchase, Mr Ferret.

You definitely have a good thing in that 16"/f7 scope and you've proved you're just as capable as anyone at taking advantage of good conditions when they can be found.

My only advisement which might be considered a little negative is to watch out for severe weather. It always seems to be the trailer parks which suffer the worst when a tornado or hurricane is in the area.

• kevinbreen likes this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Ok so I need first to ask question has anyone cut open a zwo cable is it just a coax cable ? does it have multiple wires in it with a foil wrap like a coax? can it be extended? or can i order a new one. ? I also need a new ar window but im just thinking of finding out from hp scientific if i can just sendd in my asi 224 for a check up since iv catapulted it acros the yard and dropped it once or twice.. When I am imaging the planets and they are low i can reach the focus without any extentions . the extention cable i have doesnt seem to want to work with the cable i have. So for tonighs trick I had to place a bucket on top of my imaging table with 2 of my umx rc plane boxes under it to get the laptop high enough to reach the wee short media head cable. still dont know why zwo cant ofer up a 10 or 12 foot long cable my old cable worked fine with the extension.
You will have to forgive the orientation I would have rotated the inages to match or just rotated the cam if i thought of it. tonight's session was a nightmare 1 image is with the 2x barlow the other is with the adc installed. both are full screen asi 224mc
I posted some pics of the trailer i found I havent looked at it yet and im not 100% positive i'll be lucky enough to get it but its in a nice park not a white trash beavis and but head trailer park lol it looks like home and if i get insurance ill probably get to make a lot of money in the park working on other trailers its 600 a month to keep it there and there asking 15000 but i was told to make an offer i will go and look tomorow i like the screen poorch lol and the back faces woods
2019-01-19-0208_4-L_AS_f5000_g5_ap40_conv_2.jpg
2019-01-19-0250_6-L_AS_f5000_g5_ap12_conv_2.jpg
00q0q_ctzYwgLLKYm_1200x900.jpg
00t0t_7xh0taZVueW_1200x900.jpg
00w0w_cKxS4jEKNon_1200x900 (1).jpg
00x0x_4MfnfEVKVhk_1200x900.jpg

That’s a really, weally even, nice pad in that twailor park!
I hope you’re successful weasling into it.
And a nice moon shot there. Great stuff.
Probably for the last time ever, my Jupiter from this morning is better than your most recent one.

I just wanted to type that.

Ahh, I feel better already!

👍👍👍👍👍
  • RedLionNJ and Lacaille like this

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I wish you nothing but positives on your prospective purchase, Mr Ferret.

You definitely have a good thing in that 16"/f7 scope and you've proved you're just as capable as anyone at taking advantage of good conditions when they can be found.

My only advisement which might be considered a little negative is to watch out for severe weather. It always seems to be the trailer parks which suffer the worst when a tornado or hurricane is in the area.

himacanes are a worry its aboot 5 miles inland or right along the inner steak. tarnadas we hardly git them. the one cool thng about it is i like t storms and they always hug the inner steak especially in that area. the rc flying club is directly across the street. i can finally finissh repairing my flreet and just go flying at a club field insead of that dismal abandoned field i fly at.. I was thinking if I start making money once everything s=ettles i will put together a gasser large scale cub as a little treat . i might still sell the gem with the 12 inch on it for arund 3.000 and get servo cats for the eq but i would rather wait and see the lay of the land. reason i say servo cats is its a lot easier to move around a bob then a gem there is a field surounded by woods directly behind the camper . perhaps i will be able o see more than one star

• RedLionNJ likes this

#11 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Have you visited the trailer park after dark to check out lighting etc?

I do hope this works out for you - best wishes!

Darryl, very sorry to hear about the sciatica. I hope that can be sorted soon.

#12 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

i will down loasd more pics in a while i forgot to look for lights duh was to ocupied with the suroundings I need to do some work on the side pavement i have a drive way but no garage and the woman showin me arond said to kee the scope hush hush. i might have to make a couple of plywood rings and split the tube or just put the truss tube back on so its not a ten foot scope in my back yard . i need solid pavers so I can rol the mount from the back deck to the front or get off road castors and push it out in the field behind the camper or just get servocats for the bob mount and move around but it looks like i have a clear shot of the southern sky and a roomy camperwith an enclosed side poorch

radio club on site some guy was working on a gint scale carbon cub

#13 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

Trailer looks good. Any issues with you keeping the scope on your section of the park?

I went to look at the place today its nice a bit close in the neighbors traiers are right next to me I have a field right behind me and a paved drive way i have to piut down some kind of pavers along the side from front to back also wouldnt hurt to cut the tube and glue in mounting flange rings so I dont have a 1o foot long scope in my yard its one of those dont ask at the office as long as i dont leave the scope out all day in the drive way i should be ok. the woman who showed me the camper gave me that advise. my brother in law said i should be good for a good chunk of change so the way i think servo cats are around 2 or 3 000 ???. im getting sick ofdealing with the gem. servo cats i can just wheel the thing into the floida room its a poorch with its own ac and fridge. theres a few cons but lots of pros. as i was leaving I saw a guy working on a large scale yellow carbon cub which just so happens to be what i want. th flying field is right across the road if i join ill have the key. no lights there and a servo cad driven bob can fit in my car or the back of a cheap pick up

• Lacaille likes this

#14 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

If you get settled there you could organize a star party and everyone will be delighted to be neighbours with a guy with a scope!

#15 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

If you get settled there you could organize a star party and everyone will be delighted to be neighbours with a guy with a scope!

im sure they will but right now i am seriously thinking servo cats has anyone here had luck with them. i culd put my scope in its bob mount and make a custom hand cart i can position it anywhere ion the site unless theyl let me leave it under a cover on my drive way

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

I am wondering there is a pool in the center of the complex that means there should be also a maintinance shed or shop ? or i am wondering if there is an empty lot on the south side clear of trees that i can rent to keep the scope ??? 

just noticing the moon rising just  out my kitchen window is the moonar eclipse tonight or tomorow its blowing fierce all day

#17 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

just got off the phone with gary meyers of servo cats or stelar cat drives, im thinking of building up my bob mount with some real bearings and going with servo cats he said the entire package of what i need is around $2300. usd

#18 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

then I just leave the scope on the back patio and drag it out on the field behind me with a hand truck custom made for the scope

#19 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

So let me get this straight, you’re ditching your current set up and going for a Dobsonian/Bobsonian/Smithsonian or something?

#20 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

So let me get this straight, you’re ditching your current set up and going for a Dobsonian/Bobsonian/Smithsonian or something?

The issue is my new location. i have a large field in my back yard but its gate is to small to pull out the gem. i wont really be able to drag it around the patio to the front yard w/o re doing the pavers on the side of the camper. I got off the phone with Gary meyrs of stellar cat he said one issue with servo cats is most people with bobs have teflon bearings I plan to insttall these thingd=s that were recently developed called BALL BEARINGS  they come in a variety of sizes and shapes ffor many different applications and make two separate moving parts move as smooth as silk. the bob mount or wood box alt az mount i got with the scope has two metal rings on the d=side of the box im guessing thatch the alt axis I plan to install 1 bearing on both sides of the box so the metal side bearing is on these ball bearings my guess 1/4 id 1' od and 3/4 wide should do then find center of the lower box and install a shaft with a clutch on it attached to the lower box for tension. I did the same thing around twenty years ago when i built a stainless steel fork mount for my 12".as for the bottom box 3 bearings supporting the rotating box with a tension devise some where( i will figure it out when i get there then for the price of 2300 dollars i get the whole set up including digital circles and i can trackat any speed and smooth as silk with just 2 star alignment. the pros in my situation is i can get a red neck pic up and just drive acrss the street to the ama fuying field which is a remote site away from lights and set up there or easily set up in front of my drive way or set up at the community pool I can go where i can see my target. 

If I keep the gem I am getting rather sick of laying on the dec drive to correct for bad polar alignment and wont be able to move around that much. its a nice camper but not a lot of space. my other option is my own camper on my own plot of land which will put me away from society and far from work. this place i am looking at is an up scaled trailer park with nic people mostly retired some around 50 but its far better then renting a room

#21 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:09 AM

i will probably keep the gem in case i ever wind up rich enough or i can find a place to keep it and so,me place i can keep it mounted permanently so i can polar align it once and foe all 

#22 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

well looks like I wont have to worry aboot servo cats although I would like to give them a go since my imaging sessions woud probably be more enjoyable. I woldnt have to wory so much aboot perfect polar alignment or leaning on the dec drive to correct for drift. this trailer park is corporate owned and even though i was trying to explain to the FERN  that i had enough money in one account alone w/o the house money that i could pay for the trailer and one year rent ahead of time this wman still demanded i come up with w2 forms or a wage earning statement for last year. I am explaining on fern ears that i was taking care of my mother and could not have a job. tomorrow the regional employee is suposedly going to be there i will call the office in the am and see if i can speak with her hope fully she's not a mean FERN and a nice person  

#23 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

have a Garage rental 2 nice women some other guy and i thnk a niece the 2 women ar in there 50s like myself there ok with the scopethey have a fenced in back yard with a pool. I just looked at the house on google maps satelite looks like a clear shot to the south sky. if i invest the money from the house the dividens alone should pay the rent. its still in Sebastian i looked at another house for 35000 but its not in the best part of town in a park its one of those mobile homes the guy showing me around did not seem to be a nice person at all thats a turn off i dont like getting threats from nasty landlords lol 

• Lacaille likes this

#24 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

looks like I found a garage rental for 400 a month plus they have a poorch for my scope only thing is theres a lpool deck going round the pool just outside so I have to roll out the scope and do a sharp right turn then a left turn and walk it along side the pool. its in a fenced in yard so i dont have to worry about theft plus its in a good neighborhood . its a bed in a fixed up garage only thing is the washer and dryer are there to but they seem lik they will let me have run of th huse since i have to go through to get to the poorch also has a side entranceits right in the neighbor hood. 

im ooking at a motor home for 16000 . thats a lot fortunate i have a friend who knows a lot abut motor homes so she said she woud look at it with me but to be honest if im going to have to pay 700 a month i dont see why i wouldnt just go for a cheap apartment and get a job the garage looks good but i really need my own place

• Lacaille likes this

#25 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:03 PM

I had t give a prety exciting up date on my garage rental I didnt move in yet but I asked the home ownrerr if the ggarage door still opened since they did put in a sheet rock wall and they said yes and there is some space for storage  so tomorow i will go there and take a look to see if my scope will fit. the garage door faces sw ish so  i should have a clear shot of the sky and be abe to put the scope away so itl be business as usual.... HOPE FULLY 

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics