•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes in TV, Hollywood and Movies

• Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

#476 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:50 PM

In a remote observatory in the mountains above San Diego, California...”

From Red Planet Mars, (1952) United Artists, staring Peter Graves (The Beginning Of The End “, and Mission Impossible (TV series).

Attached Thumbnails

• 7DD34B86-4E2C-4A65-A761-F4DB0254524C.jpeg

• clamchip, steve t and mdowns like this

#477 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:45 PM

More recent: Not hollywood per se, formerly Top Gear, now Grand tour. This one was set on nevada desert though, where the three presenters: james may, Richard Hammond, and Jeremy clarkson- toured across america using makeshift RV in holiday. The telescope was inside hammond's makeshift tent.

Without a finderscope and diagonal turned down, with no caps.

The grand tour telescope
The grand tour telescope

Jeremy did pictured using it alhtough I'm not sure-it's pretty dark and I can't see whether he's using diagonal or not.. not that matters..
The grand tour telescope

and of course richard went on by installing huge array of LED lights to attract aliens and ruins everything.
I'm not sure the model..meade 395, 90mm f/11 perhaps? 

Pretty weird they went with classics, I imagine it's because it's deemed cheap or used item. But I can imagine it can be an actual treat when being used under the clear desert skies.

• steve t likes this

#478 badback

badback

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

Brass tabletop classic from 1983's Dead zone..

This is the scene where Anthony Zerbe wishes

he had listened to "more cowbellls" psychic

Christopher Walken. https://www.youtube....e=youtu.be&t=40

Dead Zone Scope.jpg

• RichA, mdowns and Terra Nova like this

#479 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

...can't contribute to this thread further atm but thought about it as I channel-surfed & arrived at "Father Christmas Conquers the Martians" a few nights back, wondering whether I might see a scope in it.

But I had to give up pretty quickly, just as I did when I last came across it...I might be old & silly - but even I can find better ways to waste away my dwindling years! grin.gif

#480 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:13 PM

In a remote observatory in the mountains above San Diego, California...”

From Red Planet Mars, (1952) United Artists, staring Peter Graves (The Beginning Of The End “, and Mission Impossible (TV series).

Ah yes, the Red Planet Mars.

The Red Planet Mars is actually an interesting if not often seen film, and for many reasons.

It is, of course, fun to see how far we’ve come in our understanding of the planet Mars. It is also fun to see the technology used in the film.

But in the Red Planet Mars there is something that you seldom see in science fiction films. There is a VERY strong religious theme running all through the film. And when I say religious angle, I mean Christen, as Christianity was the only religion in 1950s America. There is even a scene about the Sermon on the Mount.

There is also a “believers will conquer those atheist commies” theme running through the film as well.

Having said all that, the film is interesting in its own right, moves quickly and the last action scene in the “observatory” is very well done with a strong “better to rule in hell than serve in heaven speech”.

Another interesting note is that “pi” is used as a mathematic commonality when first communicating with the Martians.

Bob

• Terra Nova likes this

#481 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:14 PM

"But I had to give up pretty quickly, just as I did when I last came across it...I might be old & silly - but even I can find better ways to waste away my dwindling years!"

Yes, like posting comments here on CN, that you don't want to waste your time.  lol.gif

Edited by Garyth64, 01 January 2021 - 07:15 PM.

#482 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

The Deer Hunter, 1978. As we know, the astronomical telescope gives an inverted image. What should a hunter do after a few beers, trying to use the scope to watch deer? Of course - turn the tube upside down! ;-)

Attached Thumbnails

• deer-hunter-refractor1.jpg

• catboat, RichA, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#483 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:03 AM

"But I had to give up pretty quickly, just as I did when I last came across it...I might be old & silly - but even I can find better ways to waste away my dwindling years!"

Yes, like posting comments here on CN, that you don't want to waste your time.  lol.gif

For sure Gary grin.gif  - much better a couple of minutes posting here than watching that drivel to see if a scope featured - I heard it won an award at the "Canned Film Festival" - although I don't think that was in Cannes! :rofl: 

• Garyth64 and Wylekiote like this

#484 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:21 AM

Admittedly, this is probably some "antiqued" Asian scope and not vintage, but I was shocked when one of the people on the TV show referred to himself fixing it by baving fixed the "objective lens" and "eyepiece" and the terminology was correct!

Attached Thumbnails

• tv scope.jpg

#485 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:43 PM

Admittedly, this is probably some "antiqued" Asian scope and not vintage, but I was shocked when one of the people on the TV show referred to himself fixing it by baving fixed the "objective lens" and "eyepiece" and the terminology was correct!

...the duct tape looks like it's been there a while & important to the integrity - was this presented as "possibly belonging to The Bard..?!?" :lol:

#486 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

From Things to Come, (1936), Alexander Korda’s amazing dystopian futuristic film based on the H. G. Wells classic. It’s a favorite New Years movie of mine. This pic is from the concluding scene:

Attached Thumbnails

• 475EEAC8-8909-401D-8981-A75DC10C5AB7.jpeg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, clamchip and 6 others like this

#487 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

From Things to Come, (1936), Alexander Korda’s amazing dystopian futuristic film based on the H. G. Wells classic. It’s a favorite New Years movie of mine. This pic is from the concluding scene:

Cool photo. I can't remember the last time I'd thought about or seen that film.

No telescopes, but because of when it takes place, George Pal's The Time Machine is my New Years favorite.

• tim53 and Terra Nova like this

#488 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

One of my favorites 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' has a twin telescope optical

tracking unit in it:

https://www.youtube....h?v=OPV2m1PoufM

Robert 

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#489 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

Cool photo. I can't remember the last time I'd thought about or seen that film.

No telescopes, but because of when it takes place, George Pal's The Time Machine is my New Years favorite.

Me too Chris! I watched The Time Machine New Years night. It’s my absolute favorite New Year’s movie. 

Edited by Terra Nova, 03 January 2021 - 06:10 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#490 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

One of my favorites 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' has a twin telescope optical

tracking unit in it:

https://www.youtube....h?v=OPV2m1PoufM

Robert 

"This film is scientifically authentic. It is only one step ahead of present reality" rofl2.gif

I had to cringe when whatever it was (an asteroid I think) "turned the ice cap into molten lava"...especially after "the wild surface storms" in those regions had turned the entire planet into "freezing cold" - must've made it difficult for "the scorching surface of the fire-swamp that is Mars" to sustain itself... scratchhead2.gif looney.sml.gif  

I guess that some things don't take time too well - like my body atm! lol.gif

• tim53 and clamchip like this

#491 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Gemini

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Even with Robinson Crusoe on Mars being based on pre-Mariner studies, a few things were a bit far fetched.  Of course, the movie correctly showed the extreme temperature drop that occurred at night.  From earthly observations astronomers knew Mars had an extremely weak magnetic field so there should not have been aurora as shown in the movie.  Still, a fun movie. In keeping with the OT of the thread another item I noticed was the zoom lens that was attached to the video camera- It looked like the Spiratone/Sun 85-210 zoom which had an optional pistol grip.  And the tapes used in the recorder where Lear Jet cartridges (which later were 8 track cartridges).

• clamchip likes this

#492 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:30 AM

Sunday night while watching the Twilight Zone marathon, I saw one of the hour long episodes called 'I Dream of Genie' staring Howard Morris. Fairly early in the show he comes home from work and takes a quick look thru his telescope. I was completely caught off gaurd and missed what he said when doing it but it looked like a 60mm GEM. Possibly a Tasco 7TE. Too bad I can't find a photo of it.

• clamchip and Terra Nova like this

#493 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Looks like a Swift 838:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nkhGmZPJIHY

Robert

#494 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

In the 1947 "The Ghost And Mrs. Muir" Rex Harrision is seen looking through this. Looks to be mounted on a ships binnacle. 

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210115_080626.jpg

• Terra Nova, John Higbee and Kasmos like this

#495 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

In the 1947 "The Ghost And Mrs. Muir" Rex Harrision is seen looking through this. Looks to be mounted on a ships binnacle. 

Tom Duncan

I love, love, love that movie! So romantic! It’s one of my absolute favorites with two of my favorite actors! Movies don’t get any better than that one!

love.gif

#496 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Yesterday on Dennis the Menace, they showed the episode with Mr Wilson and his 4 inch unitron,   Innocents In Space.

#497 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:36 AM

I love, love, love that movie! So romantic! It’s one of my absolute favorites with two of my favorite actors! Movies don’t get any better than that one!

love.gif

Yes, a very good movie. I just saw it again a few weeks ago.

Along with Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney the cast also included Natalie Wood as the child and George Sanders as the cad.

The screenplay, from the R A Dick novel, is a standout with great dialog. It’s a little predictable (how could it not be) but it’s worth the ride for the dialog and Rex Harrison’s delivery alone.

The scope is probably a ship’s spotting scope more than an astronomical scope, as Harrison’s character was a sea captain.

Bob

• Terra Nova likes this

#498 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

Yes, a very good movie. I just saw it again a few weeks ago.

Along with Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney the cast also included Natalie Wood as the child and George Sanders as the cad.

The screenplay, from the R A Dick novel, is a standout with great dialog. It’s a little predictable (how could it not be) but it’s worth the ride for the dialog and Rex Harrison’s delivery alone.

The scope is probably a ship’s spotting scope more than an astronomical scope, as Harrison’s character was a sea captain.

Bob

“Blood and swash!” :lol:

#499 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:27 AM

It came from Outer Space.  1953 cheeseball scifi.  Scope is a large brass refractor, but they guy and lady were looking through a right angle pipe with a prism attached to the end of it!  Obviously, a contrived prop added, but the scope was real.

Attached Thumbnails

• it came.jpg

• steve t, Terra Nova, jcruse64 and 2 others like this

#500 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

And you can see the soundstage fill lights reflecting in the objective. A good production designer would have avoided that (and also the obvious junction between the floor and the backdrop).

Chip W. 

• Traveler likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics