•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes in TV, Hollywood and Movies

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#651 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

There is a really cool observatory scene in the early part of the movie (on Netflix) called Don’t Look Up! It’s  about the discovery of a planet killing comet on a collision course with Earth, (not your typical Armageddon-style disaster film). If you’re looking for something different and an Astronomy-themed movie, I highly recommend it, It also has some amazing CG animation of the comet.

Favorite Quote: “I didn’t know Subaru made telescopes!” lol.gif

So is the large structure inside the dome that's supposed to be a telescope of some sort shown in the movie real? 

Tom

Edited by Tom Duncan, 05 January 2022 - 01:05 PM.

#652 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:55 PM

Isn't there an actual telescope that looks like that in Hawaii and called the Subaru Telescope?  

• Terra Nova likes this

#653 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:56 PM

Yes. It’s it is real. It’s the Subaru Telescope. 

• Garyth64 and jcruse64 like this

#654 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:27 PM

Looks like a fun movie, but the ending . . .  we're going to watch it.

Edited by Garyth64, 05 January 2022 - 04:27 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#655 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:20 PM

Looks like a fun movie, but the ending . . .  we're going to watch it.

Be sure to watch all the way thru the credits. A couple of snippets are stuck in that you won’t want to miss.

• macpurity and Garyth64 like this

#656 macpurity

macpurity

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Aurora, Illinois, USA

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

I watched Don’t Look Up, last night. Disturbing, very dark comedic movie, in terms of its mirror of existing in an anti-intellectual, ratings & social media intoxicated, superficial, bimbo-society. But I laughed out loud when someone said, “I didn’t know Subaru made telescopes!”

Yes, you must watch the movie until the very end, even after the credits. The Chief of Staff, even after miraculously surviving impact, spends his first emergent moments seeking a cell connection. Yikes!

• Terra Nova likes this

#657 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 08 January 2022 - 06:46 PM

...a couple of scopes in the 2019  3-part British "War of the Worlds" with Robert Carlyle in his observatory using a nice-sized old refractor taking quick piks of Mars explosions/eruptions & (evidently) enjoying similar vistas with a 2.5"-3" refractor in the field later on in the show... wink.gif

Set in Edwardian England which was true to the original HG Wells story apparently.....but for my money after we saw the first episode a week ago & then "binged" on the last 2 last night it could have been better if it was compressed into a single hour & a half show.....then again, that appraisal probably fits more than half the stuff these days. (ignoring those that should be compressed into 5 minutes or less! grin.gif )

• Terra Nova and BFaucett like this

#658 caveguy

caveguy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:10 PM

In the movie” way way out”Jerry Lewis is getting ready to bash someone in space with a quester.

#659 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:01 AM

In the movie” way way out”Jerry Lewis is getting ready to bash someone in space with a quester.

That someone was Anita Ekberg.

I believe it's been posted but here it is again:

https://www.youtube....h?v=mcx9qfNbu64

This clip leads up to it

https://www.youtube....h?v=pgh5kHqTjh0

You got to love the Austin Powers style music.

Edited by Kasmos, 13 January 2022 - 02:04 AM.

#660 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:35 AM

I watched an old movie tonight call Through Naked Eyes" starring David Soul and Pam Dawber. She works at an observatory in Chicago, and gives tours to kids of all the Old Telescopes and stuff. She also has a old brass refractor in her apartment she uses to spy on David Soul's character. He uses binoculars, to spy on her. Cut to the chase, - she even uses the telescope to knock the knife out of the Killers Hand at the end. Yea! score 1 for old refractors. wink.gif  

• steve t, Kokatha man, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#661 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:36 AM

I watched an old movie tonight call Through Naked Eyes" starring David Soul and Pam Dawber. She works at an observatory in Chicago, and gives tours to kids of all the Old Telescopes and stuff. She also has a old brass refractor in her apartment she uses to spy on David Soul's character. He uses binoculars, to spy on her. Cut to the chase, - she even uses the telescope to knock the knife out of the Killers Hand at the end. Yea! score 1 for old refractors. wink.gif  

A real knife-edge baffle!

• Terra Nova and Thomas Marshall like this

#662 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:50 AM

funnypost.gif

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#663 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:32 AM

Does the dent, in the tube, add to the patina?smile.gif

• Terra Nova and Thomas Marshall like this

#664 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:58 AM

Our weather is crap this weekend with snow forecast for tomorrow. I’m looking for some good movies to watch. I’ll add this one to the list. 

FYI: Tarantula is on Svengoolie tonight on MeTV at 8:00pm. No telescopes but it’s still an iconic Big-Bug ‘50s sci-fi flick! One of my favorites!

• SandyHouTex and steve t like this

#665 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:31 PM

Our weather is crap this weekend with snow forecast for tomorrow. I’m looking for some good movies to watch. I’ll add this one to the list. 

FYI: Tarantula is on Svengoolie tonight on MeTV at 8:00pm. No telescopes but it’s still an iconic Big-Bug ‘50s sci-fi flick! One of my favorites!

What's snow..? lol.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help that but it seems that even you folks over there with Summer temperatures like our own get snow in many places...

Of course I know what snow is & have experienced it in places here you'd never expect it.....reminding me of a farm clearing sale we went to in one of our drier districts many years ago - it started to drizzle light rain & a little boy about 4 exclaimed "what's that Mummy?" smile.gif

• steve t, Terra Nova, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#666 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I watched Through Naked Eyes late this afternoon. It was a good mystery and very suspense towards the end. I loved the scenes of the Adler Planetarium. I was there about ten years after the movie was made. I didn’t recognize Pam Dawber’s brass telescope. It looked like a 3” and it had a large eyepiece, looked like a 2”. She used it straight through and it was supposed to give a non-inverted correct image. It looked real however, not just a prop.

• SandyHouTex, steve t and Thomas Marshall like this

#667 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

I liked Svengoolie on MeTV down here in Houston, but the took him off 3 or 4 months ago.  Those old scary movies are so cool.

#668 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I watched Through Naked Eyes late this afternoon. It was a good mystery and very suspense towards the end. I loved the scenes of the Adler Planetarium. I was there about ten years after the movie was made. I didn’t recognize Pam Dawber’s brass telescope. It looked like a 3” and it had a large eyepiece, looked like a 2”. She used it straight through and it was supposed to give a non-inverted correct image. It looked real however, not just a prop.

Yeah, - I was going to mention she got a correct noninverted image straight thru, - which didn't fit. The scope I'm sure was real, but when they showed images thru it, I'm sure they were not taken thru the scope.  "Mindy meets Starsky", or Hutch" - not sure who was who.  Pretty Good!

• Terra Nova likes this

#669 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:43 AM

The whole film is on Youtube but the quality isn't very good.

When fast forwarding  it skips over some scenes making it difficult to find the few telescope scenes.

I did manage to find some and grab some images.

TNE-1.jpg

TNE-2.jpg

TNE-3.jpg

The scenes with the telescope don't last very long 

TNE-4.jpg

The quality and length of the scenes make it nearly impossible to ID the scope.

TNE-6.jpg

This is near the end when the killer gets hit with the scope.

Edited by Kasmos, 17 January 2022 - 02:43 AM.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Thomas Marshall like this

#670 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:50 AM

I’m trying to remember this scope on the main floor of the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. The film was made in 1983 and I was there in 1998 or ‘99 as best I can remember and I don’t recollect it, (that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there, I just don’t remember it). Anyone know what it is and if it’s still there?

Attached Thumbnails

• 9E6E8C16-F805-473C-8D39-5E5CB74F1404.jpeg

• steve t and Thomas Marshall like this

#671 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:48 AM

I was watching Have Gun Will Travel last Saturday afternoon on MeTV. The episode was titled The Race (S5, e7), and at the very beginning Paladin was in his suite at the San Francisco Carleton Hotel and he was showing a lady friend the Pleiades through the window via a classic brass refractor. Unfortunately, by the time I had reached for my iPhone and turned on the camera app to snap a pic of my flat screen TV, the scene was over. I haven’t been able to locate this episode online so I will have to wait for it to rerun again to get a pic.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0597651/

• Steve C., steve t, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#672 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:55 AM

I was watching Have Gun Will Travel last Saturday afternoon on MeTV. The episode was titled The Race (S5, e7), and at the very beginning Paladin was in his suite at the San Francisco Carleton Hotel and he was showing a lady friend the Pleiades through the window via a classic brass refractor. Unfortunately, by the time I had reached for my iPhone and turned on the camera app to snap a pic of my flat screen TV, the scene was over. I haven’t been able to locate this episode online so I will have to wait for it to rerun again to get a pic.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0597651/

Terra, I remember that episode, I saw it about a year ago. Kind of shocking to see cowboys talk about astronomy. I remember several years ago on Wagon Train, Charley had to pretend to be an astronomer, and he went to an observatory somewhere in the wild plains out there. It had a big telescope in it, and the person working in the observatory knew that Charley was not an astronomer by the stupid answers he gave to some of the questions. Now that really was weird, seeing an observatory on Wagon Train.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#673 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Terra, I remember that episode, I saw it about a year ago. Kind of shocking to see cowboys talk about astronomy. I remember several years ago on Wagon Train, Charley had to pretend to be an astronomer, and he went to an observatory somewhere in the wild plains out there. It had a big telescope in it, and the person working in the observatory knew that Charley was not an astronomer by the stupid answers he gave to some of the questions. Now that really was weird, seeing an observatory on Wagon Train.

I believe there is also a Rawhide episode where they go to a private observatory way off the beaten path. I also remember a Death Valley Days episode about Andrew Ellicott Douglass, the solar astronomer from the University of Arizona who was first scientists to use tree rings in the study in the study of ancient climatic fluctuations back in the early 1900s.

• steve t likes this

#674 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:24 PM

From the Netflix movie/documentary "306 Hollywood", grandchildren are cleaning out the house of a passed-on grandmother and find this 'telescope'. Assuming it's real, that's one big objective, even taking into account the perspective/distance of the camera. There are several scenes showing it at various angles in the movie, including the chain driven altitude adjustment, starting around 1:10 in. 

Tom 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220116_205243.jpg

• steve t, Terra Nova and Thomas Marshall like this

#675 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:57 PM

From the Netflix movie/documentary "306 Hollywood", grandchildren are cleaning out the house of a passed-on grandmother and find this 'telescope'. Assuming it's real, that's one big objective, even taking into account the perspective/distance of the camera. There are several scenes showing it at various angles in the movie, including the chain driven altitude adjustment, starting around 1:10 in. 

Tom 

Sounds interesting. I’ll put it on my watch list.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics