•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Telescopes in TV, Hollywood and Movies

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

#751 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:20 AM

My wife recorded The Fifth Element the other night and I noticed a brass antique.

It's not on screen very long.

attachicon.gif5th telement.jpeg

attachicon.gifCornelius5thTelement.jpg

It's a very creative film.

Call me crazy but it's one of them I can watch every few years and still enjoy.

Yes! It's great fun. Mila Jovovich was the stoner chick in "Dazed and Confused", another totally fun movie.

-drl

• Kasmos likes this

#752 Dartguy

Dartguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:38 PM

My wife recorded The Fifth Element the other night and I noticed a brass antique.

It's not on screen very long.

attachicon.gif5th telement.jpeg

attachicon.gifCornelius5thTelement.jpg

It's a very creative film.

Call me crazy but it's one of them I can watch every few years and still enjoy.

Your wife must be pretty cool to record that movie.

• Kasmos likes this

#753 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 10 June 2022 - 03:14 PM

I found the movie to be "really Boron".

• deSitter and steve t like this

#754 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 07:48 PM

I've sometimes thought of it as a cross between Monty Python and Blade Runner. Not in a bad way. Just as a mix of film-noir sci-fi and absurdism. Not an easy pair of genres to blend.

Chip W. 

#755 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:25 PM

Maybe a Royal Astro in this goofy video "She Blinded Me With Science" from Thomas Dolby?  The guy is purposefully (I hope) looking through it the wrong way.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dolby.jpg

• steve t and RichA like this

#756 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:14 PM

Maybe a Royal Astro in this goofy video "She Blinded Me With Science" from Thomas Dolby?  The guy is purposefully (I hope) looking through it the wrong way.

That one was posted just last month (post #721).

It's an Eikow.

• Exnihilo likes this

#757 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 17 June 2022 - 04:06 AM

ROCKFORD FILES s4 e14

Rockford’s dad has what looks like a 3” F15 equatorial, no closeups, he uses to look at whales from the roof of their trailer on Paradise Cove, Malibu.

Rockford is in huge Attractive Nuisance trouble has 3” refractor on his trailer roof and a ladder. Someone goes up, falls, compound  spinal fractures, law suits.

Any ideas as to make and model?

PS could be a 60mm.

You can stream all seasons on FreeVee app., free, w limited commercials.

Paradise Cove is a great place to visit. Restaurant  was fantastic.

Attached Thumbnails

• ECB4F797-971C-4954-B898-2A4068E7E887.jpeg

Edited by dougspeterson, 17 June 2022 - 04:32 AM.

• steve t and Exnihilo like this

#758 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:03 AM

Funny! In reality, I'm sure Dr. Magnus Pyke (who played the role of the professor in that video) would know which end to look through!

#759 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 June 2022 - 09:44 PM

No telescopes but some amazing planetary landscapes were shown tonight in one of my absolute favorites space/sci-fi movies, FORBIDDEN PLANET, (on Svengoolie, MeTV). This 1956 film had special effects that were way ahead of its time, plus a great cast and a great script.

• Martin, steve t, gnowellsct and 1 other like this

#760 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:28 PM

No telescopes but some amazing planetary landscapes were shown tonight in one of my absolute favorites space/sci-fi movies, FORBIDDEN PLANET, (on Svengoolie, MeTV). This 1956 film had special effects that were way ahead of its time, plus a great cast and a great script.

...parts of it scared me at the time - the claw-like imprinting into the steel of whatever was the other side of that large security door for example...have never watched it since it was released back then, but I do seem to remember "Robby" the robot made quite an impression on me also! (pardon the double pun grin.gif ) 

• deSitter, steve t and Terra Nova like this

#761 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 18 June 2022 - 11:32 PM

Think of Anne Francis whenever Aquila is up! :)

-drl

• steve t, Terra Nova and CeeKay like this

#762 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:00 AM

Think of Anne Francis whenever Aquila is up! smile.gif

-drl

See androids fighting

Brad and Janet

Anne Francis stars in

Forbidden Planet

oh oh - oh oh - oh oh oh

In the late night

Double  feature

Picture show!

• deSitter, steve t, marcyc and 1 other like this

#763 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:01 AM

Leslie Nielsen in a leading dramatic role, no less

• steve t, Terra Nova and CeeKay like this

#764 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:25 AM

Leslie Nielsen in a leading dramatic role, no less

His breakout comedy role was Airplane. Before that he always played dramatic parts. I loved the flying saucer, the cool car, and of course Robby! Amazing sound effects too!

• steve t and CeeKay like this

#765 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

Posted 19 June 2022 - 06:49 PM

His breakout comedy role was Airplane. Before that he always played dramatic parts. I loved the flying saucer, the cool car, and of course Robby! Amazing sound effects too!

His brother Erik was Deputy Prime Minister of Canada in the late 1980s, but was not known as a humourous type.

Edited by Senex Bibax, 19 June 2022 - 06:49 PM.

#766 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 20 June 2022 - 03:50 AM

The Invisible Boy (1957) is considered a sequel of sorts. The robot is back on earth. In the lab, a picture on the wall is directly from Forbidden Planet. Its kind of fun, but no where near the masterpiece of its progenitor. Its playing right now on WATCH TCM.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#767 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2022 - 03:53 PM

I was watching Cheaper By The Dozen (1950) on the Movies! channel yesterday afternoon. They were showing it to commemorate father’s of the silver screen for Father’s Day. I love that old movie and Clifton Webb is wonderful in the part of the father, ‘real-life’ early 20th century efficiency expert and industrial engineer Frank Bunker Gilbreth. Anyway, around midway through the film, they were vacationing in Nantucket and a lovely old brass refractor (looked like a 3”) was standing in the corner. Before I could ‘grab’ the image, it was gone.

Edited by Terra Nova, 20 June 2022 - 03:54 PM.

#768 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 June 2022 - 09:32 AM

That Mr Wilson Dennis the menace episode was pretty cool. Mr Wilson correctly used the finder and correctly maneuvered the telescope on the equatorial mount. You could tell from the tree shadows that he wasn't really looking at the sun.

It was also a nice touch for him to be observing the moon during the daytime. Most people don't think you can see the moon during the day.
  • steve t and Terra Nova like this

#769 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:09 PM

If I lived next to Dennis, the day I got a 4 inch Unitron would be the day I moved elsewhere and left no forwarding address.  --GN

• deSitter, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#770 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:11 PM

If I lived next to Dennis, the day I got a 4 inch Unitron would be the day I moved elsewhere and left no forwarding address.  --GN

:lol:

• deSitter likes this

#771 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:15 PM

I think most older folk know it's a riff on "The Tempest" by W.S. but it never hurts to point out given how the young'uns are glued to their video games.  --GN

• Terra Nova likes this

#772 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:20 PM

I've sometimes thought of it as a cross between Monty Python and Blade Runner. Not in a bad way. Just as a mix of film-noir sci-fi and absurdism. Not an easy pair of genres to blend.

Chip W. 

People noticed the white band-aid suit.  In fact I saw an article about it in the NYT not a few days ago.  In fact apparently one can still buy that outfit for general use today.

Not me though.  I'd be banished from my suburb if I wore something like that.  GN

• deSitter and Kasmos like this

#773 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

Yes, Forbidden Planet, one of my all time favorites as well. I have it on DVD but enjoyed watching it on Sven. this last time.

Martin

• Terra Nova likes this

#774 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted Today, 05:39 PM

Here is an interesting setup of a telescope.  Clearly they had technical help for this setup. NOT! This was a quick scene shown in a Youtube story about Oregon's Great Meteorite Mystery.  It is listed as being from the movie "It came from outer space". 

Attached Thumbnails

• Itcamefromouterspace.jpg

• deSitter likes this

#775 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted Today, 06:17 PM

Here is an interesting setup of a telescope.  Clearly they had technical help for this setup. NOT! This was a quick scene shown in a Youtube story about Oregon's Great Meteorite Mystery.  It is listed as being from the movie "It came from outer space". 

It most definitely is from the 1953 film It Came From Outer Space. The original film was however in glorious black and white, so it’s been colorized. And I honestly cannot imagine what the prop department was thinking when they perched the star-diagonal prism housing up onto of that oddly angled diagonal. I’m reminded of the old SNL skit with Bill Murray and Steve Martin- What the hail is that!?

https://youtu.be/DU_Gd623HJo

Attached Thumbnails

• 5D106728-AE0C-46A3-A8D2-53D8BBA3CCDB.jpeg

• deSitter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics