•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The beautiful 2019 binocular morning conjunction of Venus and Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

During january and february 2019, a beautiful celestial phenomenon can be observed, even with modest binoculars. In this case, 7x or 8x magnifying binoculars will likely be better to fit both planets in the same field of view than those of 10x or higher.

An interactive chart to calculate the angular separation can be found here. A star chart to get an idea of what to look for and some more info can be found here.

A small scope is best to see the phase of relatively small Venus or the cloud bands of Jupiter.

Color and brightness differences are striking. I enjoyed my 8x30 views best so far, with separation of the planets closing from 6 to 4 degrees. When the planets near their closest separations of around 2.4 degrees, I expect my 10x56 to display the best views. Over the past weeks I've enjoyed many moments of observing these two planets in the same field of view.

• Mad Matt, Chopin, jrbarnett and 7 others like this

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Thank you, Erik! I was enjoying views of the two planets through my 15x85 Garrett this morning. Your links are helpful, as I've never seen in-the-sky.org before. Excellent site! I will add that I am pleased to see I should be able to fit them both in the same field at minimum separation. 

#3 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

I got up early this morning and had a quick look with my apm 10x50. Unfortunately there where some high cirrus clouds so the view was not that great. It is supposed to be clear tomorrow morning and I think I try again with my Swaro 8.5x42 EL’s... as you mentioned, you really need a flat field and I also felt that they needed a little more “context” as they felt cramped in the 6.5deg FoV I had with the 10x50.
  • Erik Bakker likes this

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:28 AM

This morning, I observed the duo between 7.30 and 8 A.M. The views get better every day by the planets drawing closer to eachother every day. The 6.3 degree field of FL 10x56 for the first time felt OK, but still not as beautiful as the wider 8.8 degree field in the 8x30 EII 100th A.

For this event, a sharp to the edge wide field at least as wide as that of the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 at 7.6 degrees should be wonderful. Only the day before and after the minimum distance of 2.4 degrees on january 22nd will be good to observe with 10x binoculars I suspect.

• Mad Matt and Carlos Flores like this

#5 chrysalis

chrysalis

Gemini

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

I've been watching this dance develop for a few weeks now. I'm still mystified that I ask people at work what they think of it only to find out they don't even notice it.

• Erik Bakker and Carlos Flores like this

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

*big sigh*  An extended 3-day weekend here and nothing but thick, unbroken clouds.  Quite unfortunate as I liked your suggestion of conjunctions as being a scenario where field correction may be more meaningful and wanted to try the 12x50 Granites and Action EXs on some suitable night time targets.

Fingers crossed for tonight, though I am not hopeful.  It's raining now.

Best,

JIm

#7 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

We had a chance to view Jupiter, Venus and Antares Saturday morning, just naked eyes.

It has been raining quite a bit here. We have some break but sky isn't really clear yet.

Here is south east sky

large.jpg

Center crop:

We didn't detect the blueish star on the right when we observed but snapshot revealed it :)

original.jpg

Tammy

#8 jcj380

jcj380

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago 'burbs. Bortle 7-8

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

Cleared up last night, but the temp dropped like a rock, so I just eyeballed 'em briefly from my deck this morning.  Quick iPhone pic:

Attached Thumbnails

• Conjunction.jpg

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:54 AM

Here is how they looked yesterday morning, very low in the sky, nearing their closest approach, rising above my neighbor's rooftop. Both the 8x30 EII and FL 10x56 showed them very well, being ca. 2.5 degrees apart.

_DSC6486.jpg

• Mad Matt, Carlos Flores and dries1 like this

#10 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

You guess? Here we had cloudless sky until January 19, then a carpet of clouds during lunar eclipse and the conjunction...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics