•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Strange Marks on Image

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hungerford

hungerford

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

I have been using my Moravian G2-8300 mono for a couple of years now and never experience this issue before.

There is some dark line and some lighter lines all over the image. 

I took this image last nigh in HA with a lot of moon light. The exposures were 10 minutes for 12 frames.

I cannot think what could create this problem.

Thanks for looking

Vince

Attached Thumbnails

• ic434 small.jpg

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

Almost looks like drips of water. Maybe some condensations on the camera chamber window.

#3 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

I agree, looks like something that follows the changing direction of gravity (while tracking).  That some of the streaks have bright rims supports the idea of water droplets...

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, my guess too is some sort of condensation, although I've never seen anything quite like that.  When is the last time you recharged your desiccant?

#5 hungerford

hungerford

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for your help. I have changed the desiccant 6 months ago but the camera stays fitted to the scope in the observatory and it has been very damp lately.

I will change the desiccant and see if that solve the problem. In the past when the desiccant needed changing the stars became blotted so this is why I didn't make the connection.

Vince 

#6 ciraxis

ciraxis

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

I had this happen before and it was in fact a bit of condensation, it was on an extremely humid night.  

#7 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

As I said earlier, I suspect that it may have been on the outside of the camera chamber window. Does the camera have a heater for the window?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics