•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6R Pro Hand Paddle Issues

beginner equipment imaging mount outreach
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 josh3211

josh3211

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

Hi Everyone!

Background:

So, I got a new shiny Skywatcher EQ6R Pro in the mail for Black Friday! I've been able to get it out under the stars only a couple times now. I had some issues with the slewing the first time, and read that when slewing at higher speeds (to objects) sometimes there can be errors due to the fact that the EQ6R becomes pretty power hungry during those. The mount is rated for 12V-16V and I asked someone what the best way to deal with the issue is. I got a voltage booster that changes my 12V DC to 13.5V DC (which I tested via multimeter) and hooked her up. Ran like a dream. 

The problem: 

After the night I had everything running smooth, it was pretty dew-y and a lot of thin frost accumulated on most my things. Didn't think twice, the mount was still running and everything was fine when I took everything back in. Now when I plug power in and turn on the mount I hear the mount board whiz up and gives me the very quiet rumble-beep and the light on the side shows that satisfactory power is making it to the mount - awesome. But the hand terminal doesn't light up. Nothing happens with the hand paddle at all. I unplug and re-plug everything, turn it back on, nothing. I then plug the hand terminal into my computer via the USB port on the paddle - lights up immediately, starts initializing. Slews around perfect, and everything is fine. Unplug the computer from the hand paddle - hand terminal powers off. What in the heck is going on?? Did I fry a power conduit from the mount to the paddle or something? Did my voltage booster short out with the frost?? Everything works perfectly - just that weird tick with the hand paddle.

I intend to get a showstring shortly anyway, but if I ever decide to sell this puppy (in the far, far future - this mount is awesome) I want it all working. not to mention I just got it brand new, kinda sucks when you break it off the bat.

Clear skies,

Josh

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:54 AM

Josh,

Is it new? I would call the dealer. If it's used I suggest letting it dry out for a day or two maybe have a fan blowing on it. Also if used... look up in the manual and see if it has a battery for the memory as it may have failed and needs to be replaced. Cold is hard on weak batteries.

#3 josh3211

josh3211

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:45 AM

Is it bran spankin new. However I spliced in a regular 5.5mm x 2.2mm DC power plug into the car-DC power port on the power cable that came with it (it has the special aviator connectors for the mount) to play nice with the rest of my equipment, not to mention said voltage booster. I'm worried they will get it back and say "void" and send it right back to me... There's no battery in the Synscan hand paddles. I just took it apart and put it back together - nothing seemed out of place, no fried connections. unlugged and plugged everything, and cleaned the connectors. Same problem.

Edited by josh3211, 20 January 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#4 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

Darn. Sorry to hear.

I'd call the manufacturer before doing g anything else and discuss.

I don't think dew should cause big problems. It's very common.

If you can do it without risk of shorting anything out, might be worth using the multimeter to see if the mount fitting for the handset is delivering power. It's a smaller problem if it's a handset issue.

Edited by John Tucker, 20 January 2019 - 06:56 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, equipment, imaging, mount, outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics