•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mains and Battery Power Supply for SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 PRO

accessories DIY imaging
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

Hello everybody, I have received a couple of weeks ago after 2 months of waiting my equipment.

All is fine and checked and tonight is going to be first light.

I have got as well from the dealer and AC-DC adapter which is rated at 12v 7A output.

The Azeq6 mount manual says: 

“Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum). Voltage not in this range might cause permanent damage to the motor controller or the hand controller.

• Output Current: 4A for power supply with 11V output voltage, 2.5A for power supply with 16V output voltage.
• Do not use an un-regulated AC-to-DC adapter. When choosing an AC adapter, it is recommended to use a switching power supply with 15V output voltage and at least 3A output current.
• If the power voltage is too low, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically.”

Also:

“Power LED: The power LED serves as a power-on indicator and provides other statuses.

1. Steady on: Power voltage is normal.

2. Slow flashing: Power voltage is low; continuing to operate the mount may damage the battery (if a 12V lead-acid battery is in use).

3. Fast flashing: Power voltage is extremely low; continuing to operate the mount may damage the battery and the motor controller in the mount.”

Now when I go on the Synscan Controller to check the voltage it says 10,9 volts.

But the mount slews without problem and NO flashing Led of any sorts.

I bought also a lithium power bank/jump starter from Hummer brand with capacity of 12000mAh (44,4wh) and output port delivering 12v 10A, (details attached in the image) the same is happening on the synscan controller, but the mount again has no problem.

I wonder if when I check the voltage on the synscan is saying 10,9 just because is just tracking and not pulling much power so keeping the voltage low or if the voltage information on the synscan is not really precise and accurate.

another test I did was to charge the power bank fully and the synscan hand controller read 11,5 volts.

any thoughts ??

thanks for any answer

gag

Attached Thumbnails

• 09235EAD-8604-432A-B70D-DFAD9A7DB88D.jpeg

#2 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Here is what I use on my Skywatcher AZ-EQ5.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note on the specs for my battery that at 11000 mAh mine is rated at 132 Wh. Also note that at different voltages I have different mAh ratings. The point that I am trying to make is that you probably have a little less battery there then the 12000 mAh suggests. More than likely your 12000 mAh rating is at either the 9 volts or 5 volts and is lower at 12 volts. While 132 Wh might be a little optimistic for my battery, you can see that your 12000 mAh battery has substantially less capacity!

That being said your battery should still power your mount, maybe just not as long. With my setup the light on my mount will start slow flashing after several hours. However, the mount continues to work fine. So far I have not had an interrupted viewing session due to battery life.

"I wonder if when I check the voltage on the synscan is saying 10,9 just because is just tracking and not pulling much power so keeping the voltage low or if the voltage information on the synscan is not really precise and accurate."

What varies with the work load is amps not volts. The voltage drops as the battery capacity is used up, voltage will remain as high as your capacity allows at all times. Amps will increase when slewing and decrease when tracking. The more amps you draw the quicker the voltage will drop.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a battery expert. Anyone, please feel free to correct me on anything I have said above!

Edited by Astrolite, 20 January 2019 - 11:40 AM.

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

These "jumpstarter" pack tend to use the folowing standard design:

3-cell serially-connected  Li-Poly battery with some sort of BMS (battery protection mainly) and

its 12V output is just a straight 3S output with a minor voltage drop due to that BMS in series.

The voltage will be max. of 12.6V and lowest (before BMS under-voltage shutoff kicks in) around 9.6V.

In another word, its 12V output lacks voltage regulation.  This is what your Synta mount "sees".

You can always get a stabilized/regulated DC-DC 12V output buck-boost converter from popular places, AMZ, fleabay, Ali, etc.

and use that in between the battery pack and the Synta/SkyWatcher mount.

This has been discussed many times before.

P.S. better BMS will drop close to none on battery output voltage.  El cheapo can be as much as 0.7V. 

Oh, yeah, some "juspstarters" have no BMS at all.

Edited by ccs_hello, 20 January 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#4 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Lots of useful battery info on this site!

https://batteryuniversity.com/

#5 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

These "jumpstarter" pack tend to use the folowing standard design:

3-cell serially-connected  Li-Poly battery with some sort of BMS (battery protection mainly) and

its 12V output is just a straight 3S output with a minor voltage drop due to that BMS in series.

The voltage will be max. of 12.6V and lowest (before BMS under-voltage shutoff kicks in) around 9.6V.

In another word, its 12V output lacks voltage regulation.  This is what your Synta mount "sees".

You can always get a stabilized/regulated DC-DC 12V output buck-boost converter from popular places, AMZ, fleabay, Ali, etc.

and use that in between the battery pack and the Synta/SkyWatcher mount.

This has been discussed many times before.

P.S. better BMS will drop close to none on battery output voltage.  El cheapo can be as much as 0.7V. 

Oh, yeah, some "juspstarters" have no BMS at all.

thank you for the answer, I didn’t know anything about a DC-DC buck boost, I don’t know what really is, I was just looking for a powering options just to drive mount for few hours (3-4) in case of imaging sessions, and keep tracking, laptop have good battery since is only dedicated for astrophotography.

so at the end this battery pack is not really a good one for powering the mount ?

Do you why the synscan sees 10,9 volts also when powered straight from the wall plug with the AC-DC adapter ?

#6 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Here is what I use on my Skywatcher AZ-EQ5.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note on the specs for my battery that at 11000 mAh mine is rated at 132 Wh. Also note that at different voltages I have different mAh ratings. The point that I am trying to make is that you probably have a little less battery there then the 12000 mAh suggests. More than likely your 12000 mAh rating is at either the 9 volts or 5 volts and is lower at 12 volts. While 132 Wh might be a little optimistic for my battery, you can see that your 12000 mAh battery has substantially less capacity!

That being said your battery should still power your mount, maybe just not as long. With my setup the light on my mount will start slow flashing after several hours. However, the mount continues to work fine. So far I have not had an interrupted viewing session due to battery life.

"I wonder if when I check the voltage on the synscan is saying 10,9 just because is just tracking and not pulling much power so keeping the voltage low or if the voltage information on the synscan is not really precise and accurate."

What varies with the work load is amps not volts. The voltage drops as the battery capacity is used up, voltage will remain as high as your capacity allows at all times. Amps will increase when slewing and decrease when tracking. The more amps you draw the quicker the voltage will drop.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a battery expert. Anyone, please feel free to correct me on anything I have said above!

Thank you astrolite !

I am not sure at which voltage they rate the 12000mAh capacity.

i will look into it as well as the website you suggested !

how long can you use your mount with your battery ?

#7 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Thank you astrolite !

I am not sure at which voltage they rate the 12000mAh capacity.

i will look into it as well as the website you suggested !

how long can you use your mount with your battery ?

I have always been able to go all night with my battery even though the light on the mount if flashing. I have not tried multiple nights on one charge as I always fully charge the battery before its next use.

Concerning your battery, I would give it a try before buying another, if it works, it works. I'm not to concerned about damaging my mount because of a low battery. The mount has an automatic shutdown feature for when the battery gets too low.

The Buck Boost, make sure you get the right one as there are many variations, will keep your voltage constant and not let it drop below some preset voltage. If you would feel better not letting your mount see less than the manufacture specified voltage, it might be the way to go. However if your current battery can't put out the set voltage, even when fully charged, I'm not sure what happens. I have never used a Buck Boost, only read about them. I know that there are people here that use them, maybe someone will explain them more fully.

If you have access to a volt ohm meter you could check your battery with the mount tracking and compare that reading to what the hand controller is telling you. That should tell you if the hand controller is giving you a bogus reading.

#8 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

12V 4A version

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B018WZFRNE

8A DIY LTC3780 synchronous buck-boost converter (adjust the pot first)

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B078KQ63HZ

#9 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

Thanks to all of you !

unfortunately the other night came out and all sky was covered bawling.gif

I drove for one hour to the dark site and no luck doah.gif

I will try again soon and let you know how the battery performs and take in account your suggestions !

thanks a lot

#10 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

The battery you posted is 44.4 W-hr.  That means 44.4/12 = 3.7 A-hr @ 12 volts.   The 12000mAh rating is apparently for a single cell of the battery which is 3.2  volts depending on the battery. It takes all four cells to get the 12 volts (actually 12.8 v) that you are using.  

The amp-hour ratings can be mis-leading as companies are not consistent with what voltage they are referring to. Always look at the Watt-hrs.  Watts = Volts x Amps in a DC circuit.

Bottom line, your battery is probably undersized for anything much over an hour or two, depending on how hard you use it. 

Edited by dapalmer, 23 January 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#11 seasparky89

seasparky89

Mariner 2

• Loc: Springfield, VA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

I have been using deepcycle marine lead acid batteries (100+ AH at 12 volts) for over 15 years on my Atlas Mount with never a problem.  The batteries are relatively inexpensive (about $75), and can be purchased at Walmart.  I use a cover

that I modified to accept protection fusing and has a 3 - way jack to accept cigarette lighter plugs.  I keep the battery charged for longevity, and I get several years of life from them.  The only downside is that these batteries are heavy (50 lbs).  I also run my dew heaters and video cameras at the same time.  The longest I have gone is a weekend with plenty of reserve power left.

Stan

• James Paulson likes this

#12 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:36 AM

Coming back to you al with informations a out the battery I had bought and ALREADY GIVEN BACK.
Was a complete flop lasted maybe 2 hours and then the LED on the mount started flashing warning the low voltage situation (parked the scope and went home).
So as I was suggested by you guys seems is not the way to go, I will try with a jump starter or something similar if not build up my own power pack, problem is that in the islands is not easy to get all equipment as it would be in UK, Europe Mainland or USA.

I will keep you updated with what comes out.

I huge thanks for all the advices !!!

#13 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for your answer Stan !
I will try something similar !

What do your think if I get a standard jump starter now and when the battery inside needs a change I simply swap it for a LiFePO4 pack which is lighter and more stable ?

Would that work ??

#14 ghostboo

ghostboo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ocean Springs, MS

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:41 AM

This thing looks promising. Quite expensive but it might be worth it. I found some very good YouTube reviews on it too. https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07D29QNMJ

#15 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

This thing looks promising. Quite expensive but it might be worth it. I found some very good YouTube reviews on it too. https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07D29QNMJ

That thing is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, I think you found the perfect one ! You could drive anything with that, Laptop included !

thanks ghostboo I will check that out !

• ghostboo likes this

#16 canariannebula

canariannebula

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

After following all your advices and looking for something similar to what Ghostboo proposed.

i bought the Suaoki s270 power pack, is really similar to the Jackery one, but this was available in Europe and rather inexpensive (around 140€)

it has been working amazingly with the skywatcher az eq6, no voltage problems, through the 12v plugs, plus still has a mains plug for laptop in case of need, with a proper power planning it could easily run my equipment for 3 hours, which is the maximum time I am using at the moment.

#17 robodan

robodan

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

I just got this, it's small, light and no more cable tapping.

https://www.celestro...nk-lithium-pro#
  • canariannebula likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, DIY, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics