•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you get the Orion Sirius EQ-G with 2" tripod legs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WillieM96

WillieM96

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

I'm considering getting my first goto equatorial mount for astrophotography and I've heard a few people complain that the tripod is a little flimsy.  I don't know if in the past it came with a flimsier tripod but I see on their website now that it comes with a tripod that has 1.75" diameter legs.  Does anyone know if you can order it with 2" legs instead?  Do  you believe it's even necessary?

If it is at all relevant, I will be using either a 6" f/4 newtonian astrograph or a Celestron C6 on it.  The reason I won't upgrade to the Atlas is weight.  That mount head is way too heavy and cumbersome for me.

• PirateMike likes this

#2 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

The tripod on the Sirius is built like a tank. Just don't extend the legs and you will be fine.

• PirateMike and WillieM96 like this

#3 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

Perhaps bolt the top plate from the Sirius tripod to the top of a Meade Field Tripod. IMHO, the Sirius tripod is sufficient and like any tripod best not to accidently bump it. I’ve used mine for several years without issues, even with the legs extended.
  • WillieM96 likes this

#4 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• **---
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

Had my HEQ5-Pro now for just over 10 years and no issue, beit with an 8" SCT to an 80mm refractor payload. As "Spoonsize" says...just don't bump it!

• WillieM96 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics