•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need recommended AP Refractor ($500 - $1100)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Schramm

Matthew Schramm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lemont, Illinois

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Can someone recommend me some good refractor telescopes between the $500-1100 range? I've been mostly looking at 80mm doublets and triplets and some larger but can't decide on any. 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Assuming you're new to imaging, I'd start with an 80.  It's easier to learn the procedures with, and learning is what the task is, for some time.

Here's a good triplet in your price range.  Note the 2.5 rack and pinion focuser, the focuser is very important.

https://www.teleskop...AP-Focuser.html

This doublet is a little less money, also has a good focuser.

https://www.stellarv...ctor-telescope/

The crucial thing is the mount.  If getting a cheaper scope would help you get a better mount, do that.  Spending more on the scope than the mount is pretty much a red flag, you won't get value out of the better scope on a cheap mount.

Didn't I read you have an AT72EDII?  That's a fine scope to start out with, so you could prioritize the mount.

• ShaulaB and md11spotter98 like this

#3 Matthew Schramm

Matthew Schramm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

Assuming you're new to imaging, I'd start with an 80.  It's easier to learn the procedures with, and learning is what the task is, for some time.

Here's a good triplet in your price range.  Note the 2.5 rack and pinion focuser, the focuser is very important.

https://www.teleskop...AP-Focuser.html

This doublet is a little less money, also has a good focuser.

https://www.stellarv...ctor-telescope/

The crucial thing is the mount.  If getting a cheaper scope would help you get a better mount, do that.  Spending more on the scope than the mount is pretty much a red flag, you won't get value out of the better scope on a cheap mount.

Didn't I read you have an AT72EDII?  That's a fine scope to start out with, so you could prioritize the mount.

I did a little research, how would the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Computerized Equatorial Mount be? priced at about $1600

#4 lucam

lucam

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

I did a little research, how would the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro Computerized Equatorial Mount be? priced at about $1600

I use a SW EQ6R-Pro and it has worked out well for me. In decent seeing, I get around 0.7 arc-sec RMS total guiding error consistently (seeing limited from my location), which is adequate for a 1-2 arc-sec/pixel image scale. I ran about 30lbs of imaging gear on the mount and it does well with a 530mm focal length refractor, even in moderately windy conditions. 

If you buy this mount, I strongly recommend using a EQdirect cable from Shoestring Astronomy and EQMOD (EQ ASCOM implementation) to drive and control the mount. It interfaces well with all major acquisition and automation software (SG Pro, PHD2, etc) and is robust. 

Edited by lucam, 21 January 2019 - 04:21 PM.

• nemo129 and Matthew Schramm like this

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:12 AM

Fine choice.  It is a bit heavy.  If that's no issue, fine.  If it is the iOptron 45PRO is lighter, similar performance, costs more.

• Stelios, David-LR and Matthew Schramm like this

#6 Dean J.

Dean J.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

Matthew,

Also, take a look at the Stellarvue SV70T with the reducer that Stellarvue makes for it.  It is about $100 over your budget though.

I used one of those for about a year with a light ASI1600MM-C + EFW2 combo and it was my favorite at the time.  The focuser handled the light ZWO camera + FW wheel without any problems.

#7 David-LR

David-LR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: AR

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

Can someone recommend me some good refractor telescopes between the $500-1100 range? I've been mostly looking at 80mm doublets and triplets and some larger but can't decide on any. 

Matthew,

In my opinion, you can't really beat Astro-Tech from Astronomics, the folks that run this site.

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

I spent way to much money on my first telescope after upgrading the focuser from 2 to 2.5 inch and then buying a larger field flattener.  I replaced it last year with an Astro-Tech 115EDT, a bigger version of the telescope linked above.

FWIW,

Edited by David-LR, 21 January 2019 - 10:16 AM.

• nemo129 likes this

#8 Matthew Schramm

Matthew Schramm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Fine choice. It is a bit heavy. If that's no issue, fine. If it is the iOptron 45PRO is lighter, similar performance, costs more.

I’m still interested with the IOptron 45Pro, but would I be able to use EQMOD with it or only the SW mount? I don’t need to use it but I’m just wondering

Edited by Matthew Schramm, 21 January 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#9 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

Matthew,

In my opinion, you can't really beat Astro-Tech from Astronomics, the folks that run this site.

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

I spent way to much money on my first telescope after upgrading the focuser from 2 to 2.5 inch and then buying a larger field flattener.  I replaced it last year with an Astro-Tech 115EDT, a bigger version of the telescope linked above.

FWIW,

+1

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

I’m still interested with the IOptron 45Pro, but would I be able to use EQMOD with it or only the SW mount? I don’t need to use it but I’m just wondering

EQMOD is an Orion/Skywatcher thing.  I've never felt the need (I have a CEM60).

• psandelle likes this

#11 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:49 AM

EQMOD is only for Skywatcher and Orion.

iOptron has their own ASCOM driver that will work with your image acquisition software of choice (SGP, APT, etc.)

#12 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Vanguard

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:57 AM

i have not looked at any of the responses but i am curios how many recommended the orion ed 80 ?

Edit, why is everyone talking mounts when he asked about a refractor?

Edited by mantrain, 23 January 2019 - 04:03 AM.

• nemo129 likes this

#13 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

EQMOD doesn't phase some people, but I actually like it, and have used it for two years now.  Recently, I put together a usb cable that goes directly to the mount from my laptop, and control it using Stellarium and StellariumScope.  Skywatcher make "mass produced" mounts, and you get a good price for what the mounts do.

I have been using my Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G for 3 years and am still happy. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics