•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Golden State Star Party (California) GSSP 2019

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#26 Mikefp

Mikefp

Mariner 2

• Loc: The Bak

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:46 PM

big problem with ort cloud with the harvesters last year.  Had them on 3 sides one night and until late /earlyfrown.gif

This year going to jam myself in the middle of the dobs, and hope the surrounding vehicles and tents block the lighting.  Willing to give up horizons for this...

I could be mistaking but wasn't the harvesters issue two years ago in 2017?   The farmers needed to harvest or loose the use of the machinery and their crop.  Finished by 10:30 pm which was amazing.  "You have to do what you have to do".  Super dark the remaining night. 

#27 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

No problem with the harvesters in 2018

#28 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:01 AM

Any updates as we approach the beginning of June?

Here we are only a few weeks away from GSSP and the evening programs are still "TBD" on the website. I suggested a few months ago the swap meet should be moved to 12 noon. Scheduling it at 10 am is a bit early especially for those who stay up observing until 3am. If you agree, speak up during the "orientation" meeting the first night. Perhaps if they hear it from a number of us, the time change will be made in the future. Looking forward to a good and somewhat cooler GSSP this year.

#29 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Sandy, Oregon

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:06 AM

I agree - 10 am is too early for the swap meet. Noon would be more doable for me too, and I'll be sure to give the organizers my opinion.

#30 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

"No problem with the harvesters in 2018"

Ironic , opposite experience for me . Where were you on the field?

I do know where I will not set up this year...

Having a f/5 20" gets my head high enough most the vehicles can not block the light.  

Worse place to be shut down by the harvesters is on Ort Cloud along the fence line. I suppose if one were buried on the infield with a smaller scope or sub f/4 might not notice that.

Could read a book from 3 directions from the lights of harvesting operations in 2018.

#31 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

I could be mistaking but wasn't the harvesters issue two years ago in 2017?   The farmers needed to harvest or loose the use of the machinery and their crop.  Finished by 10:30 pm which was amazing.  "You have to do what you have to do".  Super dark the remaining night. 

I noticed the issue in 2016 ,2017 and 2018 was worse - for me. 

#32 chakel

chakel

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

The schedule has been updated! 

#33 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:15 PM

Online registration cut off date is June 20th. After that it will only be first come, first served onsite registration if the 400 maximum limit hasn't been reached yet.

#34 GilATM

GilATM

Messenger

• Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:55 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the hobby/obsession but the GSSP is almost in my back yard, so I've registered, and I'll be attending for the first time. I'm already made arrangements to stay out in the Oort cloud with members of the Shasta Astronomy Club. I'm planning on having my granddaughter with me, so look for the old fart with the 9 year old blonde. I'm sure she'll be running all over the place.

I'll be going for the first time too!   I'll look for you!

My wife Lisa and our trusty black Lab Clyde will accompany me.   I will be working on getting some shade structure worked out, and a tray of water for Clyde to dip in, as I hear that it can get hot.

Is the surface bare dirt?

Gil

• Cowtau likes this

#35 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

Is the surface bare dirt?

The site is cattle range pasture.  It's pretty level and good for observing.  The down side is that it is covered with cheatgrass that the ranch owners mow before the event.  The grass seeds will grab onto and stick to just about anything (a consideration for Clyde).

My wife was telling me last night, that the extended forecast is looking good so far, with temperatures in the mid to upper 80s, and not the upper 90s and 100s that we've seen in recent years.  Of course, that can change between now and the event.

• GilATM likes this

#36 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:48 PM

I'm registered for both GSSP and OSP. Hopefully I'm able to attend this year.

• ctcables likes this

#37 Cowtau

Cowtau

Lift Off

• Loc: Shasta, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:14 AM

GilATM, I'll keep an eye out for you as well.  The black lab (I love dogs) should be relatively easy to spot, and as I mentioned, my blond 9 year old grand daughter will be running amuck (I mean, respectfully getting to know everyone).  See you there.

• GilATM likes this

#38 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:44 AM

I agree - 10 am is too early for the swap meet. Noon would be more doable for me too, and I'll be sure to give the organizers my opinion.

The revised schedule for this year has the swap meet at 9am!  Likely it was moved to an earlier hour so as to not interfere with the Adin 150 anniversary festivities in town. Might as well not have a swap meet if it's at that time. Remember why we are here??? To stay up observing into the early morning hours, 2am, 3am...

• GilATM and Stardust Dave like this

#39 zigee

zigee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Weather.com is reporting mostly clear skies... hope its not too cloudy...

#40 GilATM

GilATM

Messenger

• Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

The revised schedule for this year has the swap meet at 9am!  Likely it was moved to an earlier hour so as to not interfere with the Adin 150 anniversary festivities in town. Might as well not have a swap meet if it's at that time. Remember why we are here??? To stay up observing into the early morning hours, 2am, 3am...

I have not been to Golden State before, but I know the swap meet at RTMC was often a dreary eyed - wake up early before stuff is gone - kind of event.   I always thought it might be better timed for "after dinner waiting for the sky to get dark".    

BTW, we will be camping Friday night at Lassen, on our way up from Southern California.   Is there much reason to try to get there early in the day Saturday?  - if not, I'd probably spend the day noodling around Lassen and get to the star party site in the late afternoon.

Gil

#41 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

Is there much reason to try to get there early in the day Saturday?  - if not, I'd probably spend the day noodling around Lassen and get to the star party site in the late afternoon.

The star party actively discourages early arrivals, and won't let people in until 9am.

As for need, unless you want a specific spot (which is unlikely, since this is your first time), there's no reason to get there before the late afternoon.  I generally set up on the southwest corner on the edge of the observing field where they put RVs (I'll be in a truck camper with a cargo trailer).  I've got an observatory tent and want to set it up out of everyone's way, in the deeper grass.  The RV area will eventually have quite a few people, but there's plenty of space.  The outer areas to the north have lots and lots of space, so there's no concern at all at finding a good spot.  The area that fills up quickly is just north of the activities tent and vendors.  That's where most of the larger dobs will be set up, and I think that quite a few of the committee folks are in that area.

• GilATM and Stardust Dave like this

#42 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

I have not been to Golden State before, but I know the swap meet at RTMC was often a dreary eyed - wake up early before stuff is gone - kind of event.   I always thought it might be better timed for "after dinner waiting for the sky to get dark".    

Oregon Star Party schedules their swap meet at noon, a much more reasonable time. Perhaps GSSP organizers will reconsider swap meet time for next year.

• GilATM likes this

#43 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:21 AM

Looks like we won't be roasting in the afternoon heat like we have the last couple of years. I am hoping that the moderate forecast is correct.

#44 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

Temperature was nice yesterday.  The forecasts that I've seen show it increasing over the next few days, but not by much.  I've not seen anything higher than the low 80s in the remaining forecast.

It's a whole lot different than the last two years.

Now if we can get the sky to stay clear all night.  I was out until about 1:00 last night.  By that time, there were noticeable glows around the brighter stars, and contrast had dropped significantly in the eyepiece.  I am assuming that we had some high atmosphere moisture, or very thin clouds.  I initially thought that I might be picking up some dew, but everything was completely dry - even this morning, so the humidity at ground level was pretty low.

When I got up this morning, there was partial overcast across the sky.

#45 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Same conditions from my rural location outside Susanville......by 3AM almost completely cloud cover.

Hope for better conditions tonight for you GSSP folks (and me)

As far as swap meets, I suggested years ago that it should be an every afternoon affair at the courtesy tent; fell on deaf ears.

Also a food truck at night for coffee and snacks like OSP as well as a bulletin board so people could leave messages.

View from my observing site.....back patio facing south.

Not as good as the best nights at GSSP (SQM 21.7), but not bad at SQM 21.5 on the best nights.

Attached Thumbnails

• south view.JPG

Edited by Mr. Bill, 30 June 2019 - 03:27 PM.

• BradFran likes this

#46 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Good ideas, Mr. Bill. Wish I could be there this year! A dedicated ongoing swap table and bulletin board to list what you have and your name would probably be an improvement. I enjoy the "meet" but there are always those who miss it (or sleep though). Perhaps have the swap be every afternoon around the table? It's a good place to chat anyway.

#47 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

High overcast from my location at 1AM limited contrast to fair....SQM 21.3.

Since my interest is large scale MW structure (bright/dark nebulae) using low power (23x-60x) giant binoculars it pretty much washed out observing. Gave up at 2AM.

How where things up at GSSP?

#48 Solar Ken

Solar Ken

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:38 AM

At the orientation meeting Saturday night Rich announced that the swap meet had been moved an hour earlier to 9am due to "popular demand". Reasoning: it gets too hot by 10am. That met with some laughs and groans. He encouraged feedback by email but like most suggestions previously mentioned one wonders if any will get serious consideration.

#49 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

At the orientation meeting Saturday night Rich announced that the swap meet had been moved an hour earlier to 9am due to "popular demand". Reasoning: it gets too hot by 10am. That met with some laughs and groans. He encouraged feedback by email but like most suggestions previously mentioned one wonders if any will get serious consideration.

Maybe it was moved to allow attendees to enjoy Adin's 150th anniversary parade at 10 am.

Hope everyone has a good time and gets some dark skies!

#50 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

How where things up at GSSP?

Last night was much better than the previous night.

I was up until 3:00 doing visual stuff.  I bought a 2x Powermate from Oregon Observatory and was trying it out with various eyepieces on both my 4" refractor and the C14.  I managed to spend some time sweeping with binoculars and also cruising around with the 14" dob from Sagittarius, all the way along the Milky Way to Cassiopeia and Perseus.

My imaging stuff was getting the Cocoon Nebula all night long.  I've not gone through the data yet, but the last sub that it took at 4:30am still looked reasonably clear.

• KidOrion, audioaficionado and BradFran like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics