•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hues of the Lunar Eclipse 2019 Jan 21.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder, 01.5ºW. 55ºN.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

After an evening of trying to get basic pencil sketches through cloud breaks (to apply the eclipse hues to the next morning) I was soon clouded out.  So went to bed to arise at 01h. UT and finalized the best three and decided to add 4 more………

What is presented here is the best one of them with the shadings etc. modified (stumped over) to match the eclipse levels in the 120mm scope.  A pair of 3x40 (19th century) opera glasses piggy- backed on the D-K mount being used for the basic pencil sketches.  This was sheer luxury and leisurely: like tackling a planet in perfect seeing with the big scope........!

I have a large number of subtle hues (greens/lilacs etc. etc.) recorded as they developed/presented during the event: I hope to turn these into a progressive series for posting later (when more time!).

Back in 1964 Dec 19 was a similar eclipse when the Moon crossed the northern part of the umbra and was presumably catching more strongly refracted sunlight giving it a very Mars-like NP Hood effect as many reported.  This time also but not so pronounced as I recall that in 1964 – perhaps suggesting the Earth’s atmosphere was particularly clearer on that occasion.  The Moon being about 1’ deeper in the umbra this time seems not enough to make that much difference in lighting I feel.

Dave.

Lun Ec 2019 Jan 21.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 22 January 2019 - 05:25 AM.

• Special Ed, cildarith, frank5817 and 21 others like this

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

Well done! Looks very close to what I saw in the scope

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

Interesting comment about Mars. I said a similar statement in it looking like Mars with an ice cap. Thanks for sharing your work and historical comment. Clear and steady skies.....

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

Dave,

Very good sketch of Hues of the Lunar Eclipse 2019 Jan 21. smile.gif .

I, too, was clouded out at Total Time.

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Great sketch!

I have a large number of subtle hues (greens/lilacs etc. etc.) recorded as they developed/presented during the event: I hope to turn these into a progressive series for posting later (when more time!).

Can't wait smile.gif 

#6 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

And I found it hard enough getting up at half past four!

1am?! seriously?

Lovely work though Dave...

I drew the 2010 December eclipse from scratch from the comfort of the back bedroom window, it's a real undertaking!

Very nice.

#7 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

Many Thanks wargrafix, deepwoods1, Tom, Jef, Chris and those who Liked………..smile.gif 

Chris: guess I was burning the candle both ends………I did originaly plan for 3:30 a.m. had I got those basic sketches I was denied by too much cloud.  Went to bed just after 9 p.m. but waking around 1 a.m. and seeing the carpet bathed in moonlight got the adrenalin going so up I got….

There was a 22º halo round the Moon at first but the haziness thinned a good deal for a while so got going with those sketches and was soon on a buzz!

Anyway got to bed after teatime yesterday and slept best part of 14 hours; which is about the total of the previous 3 nights!

Many comments about the similarity to Mars. I guess before someone puts all of us right: for me the similarity is pretty superficial.  I reckon what some of us are expressing is addressing our early notions of what we expected Mars to look like (colour-wise).  That 1964 eclipse was more ‘Mars-like’ to me than this one; but I soon modified that view when I got my first good look at the planet in 1965 with the 10” Newt.

Attached is about the best view of Mars I ever had (16.3” D-K): when seen like that those salmon desert tones I’ve never seen at any Lunar eclipse.  Funnily enough when I said here that using the 3x40s   “…….was sheer luxury and leisurely: like tackling a planet in perfect seeing with the big scope........!“ it was this particular view of Mars that I had in mind.  In fact I was so involved getting those hues (PC – to-ing & fro-ing) that I failed to add the considerable amount of finer detail I could/should have rendered also…….frown.gif blush.gif

Dave.

Moon Mars 19 07.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 22 January 2019 - 09:54 AM.

• Edrow10, niteskystargazer and Aquarellia like this

#8 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

David,

The colors and texture are just jaw dropping. I feel I am looking through my telescope. Beautiful capture

Cindy

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

Dave,

That is really an impressive Mars sketch from 2007.

The colors and detail are exquisite.

Frank :)

#10 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

Many Thanks Cindy, Frank.

A memorable event – more so because the fairly clear sky endured; lost count of the number of these I’ve planned for and been denied by the wrong weather arriving…….no comment about forecasting……….mad.gif

Colours were particularly striking due to it being close to the north-edge of the umbra, and with some short-lived/transient subtle hues.  Next one (Jul 16) is a deepish partial one that may well offer interesting tints.  Will be low here but I have the ADC (Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector) now……….

Frank: checking WinJUPOS Mars’ disk was 15.7”  back then, and would be nice to get such conditions next apparition when its >20”.

Cheers,
Dave.

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:52 AM

Nice soft tones in there Dave.  Nice to see a realistic representation of the true tones rather than the all too often over saturerated refs and oranges in artwork and certainly imaging.

Pete

#12 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Pete...........

I had a follow-up sequence giving more detailed short-lived subtle hues

but not had the time to put it into a meaningful presentation.  Maybe combine

it with others - past and forthcoming..........in due course....tongue2.gif

Barring more diversions/sidelining (domestic etc.) I have had some great views

(Jupiter and SN2019 in NGC 3254 & maybe some galaxy views) to post presently.........

Shaping up for another clear night - sidelined again mayhaps.........!

Cheers.

Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics