•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Mount should I buy? (iEQ45 Pro, EQ6-R Pro, Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Shoemakera

Ryan Shoemakera

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I am looking a few mounts here and after looking at other forums I cannot make a final decision on what mount I want to end up buying.

The first one I was looking at is the iEQ45 Pro https://www.ioptron....uct-p/8000e.htm

The second one is the EQ6-R Pro http://www.skywatche...duct/eq6-r-pro/

And lastly, I was looking at the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G Computerized GoTo Telescope Mount https://www.telescop...34/p/102340.uts

Which one would ultimately be better for astrophotography? I am going to be starting out with a lightweight set up. If there are any other mounts that you would like to recommend, please do.

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#2 Ryan Shoemakera

Ryan Shoemakera

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

I was also looking at the CEM60 but that ruins my budget by just a bit, still keeping it in mind though.

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

I was also looking at the CEM60 but that ruins my budget by just a bit, still keeping it in mind though.

Ruin your budget. If the mount purchase doesn't hurt, you're buying the wrong mount. The CEM60 is both lighter and will perform better than the EQ6R-Pro/Atlas (they're pretty much the same with an edge to the EQ6R-Pro). 5 years from now the money you saved will be bothering you--a lot.

However, if it's a *lightweight* setup that you want, then the Orion Sirius (HEQ5) is a worthwhile consideration. There's nothing lightweight about the EQ6R-Pro/Atlas.

• khobar and Ryan Shoemakera like this

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Ryan,

You will see it stated time and time again here, but it bears repeating. For astrophotography, get the best mount you can afford. It will be a matter of opinion of course and you will get lots of advice, but I do not think you will go wrong with any of the mounts you listed. You might want to share what you want to take pictures of...planets, lunar, DSOs?? What telescope are you planning to mount? Probably the camera you will be using as well.

Clear Skies!

#5 Ryan Shoemakera

Ryan Shoemakera

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

Ryan,

You will see it stated time and time again here, but it bears repeating. For astrophotography, get the best mount you can afford. It will be a matter of opinion of course and you will get lots of advice, but I do not think you will go wrong with any of the mounts you listed. You might want to share what you want to take pictures of...planets, lunar, DSOs?? What telescope are you planning to mount? Probably the camera you will be using as well.

Clear Skies!

The camera I will mainly be using is the nikon D5300, The most portable telescope that I would be using would be the AT72EDII. My good friend also gave me a SkyWatcher Quattro Imaging Newtonian 8-Inch awhile back which I may use as well. Mainly for DSO'S

Edited by Ryan Shoemakera, 21 January 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#6 john1619

john1619

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: East Meadow , New York

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

I'm also looking to get a new mount soon.   What are the top 5 recommendations under $2500.00

#7 hollandj

hollandj

Vostok 1

• Loc: Searcy Arkansas

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Three years ago I upgraded a Celestron AVX mount to the Atlas Pro.  I did a LOT of reading opinions, reviews, etc., before buying and I am extremely happy.  Do searches on astrobin with various mounts and look at set ups that people use compared with what you want to do.  That may help to convince you what is right for you.

• Matthew Schramm likes this

#8 Matthew Schramm

Matthew Schramm

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lemont, Illinois

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

Im not sure if I should go with the EQ6-R Pro just for EQMOD...

Nowadays is it still useful to use EQMOD?

#9 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

The camera I will mainly be using is the nikon D5300, The most portable telescope that I would be using would be the AT72EDII. My good friend also gave me a SkyWatcher Quattro Imaging Newtonian 8-Inch awhile back which I may use as well. Mainly for DSO'S

Then I am with Stelios...ruin your budget. The CEM60 will serve you well. You could go with a mount with less capacity for the AT72EDII, but 8" newts can introduce weight and a moment of arm, especially when there is wind and over mounting your imaging train can only help. Just my .002, I am sure other folks will offer different advice and that is why we have these forums.

#10 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

Im not sure if I should go with the EQ6-R Pro just for EQMOD...

Nowadays is it still useful to use EQMOD?

Not particularly. There are many alternatives that are as good or better. Such as combining Cartes Du Ciel (for planetarium) with Sequence Generator Pro (SGP). *Definitely* not worth buying a mount for EQMOD alone, though there's nothing (other than its being a bit dated) wrong with EQMOD.

#11 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

I'm also looking to get a new mount soon.   What are the top 5 recommendations under $2500.00

I'll take "under $2,500" to mean "around $2500."

In order of preference:

iOptron CEM60 --standout (but don't buy used).

Losmandy GM811G

Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro (or the very similar Orion Atlas, which is however somewhat inferior).

iOptron iEQ45

Orion Sirius/HEQ5 --portability standout.

• psandelle likes this

#12 Ryan Shoemakera

Ryan Shoemakera

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'll take "under $2,500" to mean "around $2500."

In order of preference:

iOptron CEM60 --standout (but don't buy used).

Losmandy GM811G

Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro (or the very similar Orion Atlas, which is however somewhat inferior).

iOptron iEQ45

Orion Sirius/HEQ5 --portability standout.

I think someone said this before If I was to get the iOptron iEQ45 or CEM60 would a serial adapter be required to use the mount with the laptop  

#13 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

While i don't want to minimize the importance of the mount, if most pics will be with a AT72EDII, a light 430mm FL scope, i think any of your choices above will be fine.

As you get heavier load and longer FL the need for a better mount definitely goes up.

The cem60 would handle the Newt better, but you can still get good shots even with your above choices.

Edited by ks__observer, 21 January 2019 - 05:36 PM.

• psandelle and Matthew Schramm like this

#14 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I have the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G and it is a solid reliable mount.  Heavy, but not over the top heavy. I like the free software such as EQMOD to control it, and I also like the fact that I can by hand move the scope around and it won't loose the alignment.

#15 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

I think someone said this before If I was to get the iOptron iEQ45 or CEM60 would a serial adapter be required to use the mount with the laptop  

Yes. If your laptop doesn't have a built-in serial port (basically all laptops made in the last 10 years), you'll need a USB-to-RS232 adapter. Make sure you get one with a FTDI chip.

#16 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

I recommend a Losmandy over any of the above import options

smile.gif

Edited by terry59, 23 January 2019 - 08:21 AM.

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

I recommend any of the "import" options over the Losmandy because of price and weight. You would need the G8G to match the other mounts which is more money. I hate that DEC motor hanging off the saddle. It's just asking to hit the tripod. Still, any of these will be more than adequate (even the Losmandy G8) for use with a short refractor. I ran an iEQ45 for years with good results and a 5" 700mm refractor. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#18 the Elf

the Elf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

I'm very happy with my EQ6-R. My basic decision was to save up money for a premium mount (10 micron) but I could not bare the AVX any longer. I feel like the EQ6-R will be a good step for a few years and I continue saving while being able to get some decent images with short to medium focal lenths. Meanwhile I continue learning.

Here is my review:

https://www.cloudyni...date-avx-eq6-r/

#19 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

Another happy EQ6-R owner here.  I'm using it with a fairly heavy payload (32lbs) and with good seeing can guide for hours at 0.5 arcsec RMS.

#20 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

Another vote for the EQ6-R.  If you’re new to AP you’ll want to be staying with a short refractor while you learn this very complicated hobby.  Imagers have stayed with that mount for years and been very happy.  Check astrobin and you’ll see lots of folks doing amazing things with that mount. ... and the built-in carry handle & retractable counterweight rod are WAY cool !

#21 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

If you belong to an astronomy club and do outreach, the Orion Pro / Skywatcher AzEq 5 or 6 are handy because you can put them in Alt-Az mode for outreach events.  There's also an iOptron that does both equatorial and alt-az.

And for reasons known only to Synta (the manufacturer of both mounts) the AzEq 5 (but not the 6?) has built in USB support.  When in equatorial mode I just plug my laptop directly to the mount and EQMOD handles the rest, no hand controller needed the USB -> serial converter is already in the mount.  It shows up in Windows as just that, a Prolific USB to serial converter.

In the end I chose the smaller mount not for portability, but for cost.  I had a budget of $100 per month and it was another $700 / 7 months to wait for the Atlas Pro - so I got the Skywatcher AzEq 5.  Could I have benefited from the larger, more capable mount?  Probably.  But with the $700 saved I got a focus motor installed on my little scope instead and had change left over.

Edited by lakeorion, 27 January 2019 - 03:44 PM.

#22 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

You said lightweight, so the IEQ45 is at 25.5 pounds for the mount head, and the CEM60 is at 27 for the mount head. The EQ6 is over 40 pounds. If you can swing it get the CEM60 and get a tri-pier since it odesn't come with a tripod of any kind. If you can't the IEQ45 Pro is the way to go.

#23 ChrisMoses

ChrisMoses

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

I upgraded from an IeQ45 to an Explore Scientific PMC-8 G11 about two years ago and haven't looked back.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

A good friend of mine has a Cem60 that is excellent, but he has the encoder option.  I can't comment about the "normal" version

#24 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:04 AM

You said lightweight, so the IEQ45 is at 25.5 pounds for the mount head, and the CEM60 is at 27 for the mount head. The EQ6 is over 40 pounds. If you can swing it get the CEM60 and get a tri-pier since it odesn't come with a tripod of any kind. If you can't the IEQ45 Pro is the way to go.

Is there any specific sort of tripod requirement for mounting the CEM60?  For example, would it go on the tripod that sits under the AVX rotisserie?

#25 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

I bought an iEQ45 for its combination of payload rating and head weight. A Sirius/HEQ5 is lighter but has only a 30 pound payload rating. An Atlas/EQ6 or Celestron CGEM is much heavier (too much for me) with nearly the same payload rating as the iEQ45.

If you expect to use the 8" Newtonian on it, none of these mounts is strong enough. You would need a CEM60. The optical tube alone is half the payload rating of the iEQ45 and Atlas. That leaves maybe five pounds for everything else before you exceed the practical upper limit for good tracking.

I don't believe you could put an iOptron mount head on a Celestron tripod without having a machine shop build an expensive custom adapter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics