•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Animation of Total Lunar Eclipse of January 20-21, 2019

astrophotography dslr moon
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brett Waller

Brett Waller

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Staunton, VA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

I just finished a draft animation, my first, of last night's total lunar eclipse. It is posted on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube....h?v=QwTrRW9_gOY

The animation was constructed from 222 pictures taken during the eclipse from Staunton, VA. Despite the forecast of 65% clouds, the sky miraculously cleared and stayed clear until well after the eclipse. So a quick grab of the equipment, and gritting of teeth in the brutal cold and wind, and you can be the judge of the result.

Equipment used was a Canon 450D at 300 mm, f5.6, with exposures ranging from 1/4000s at full moon to 2s during totality. Settings were manually adjusted with numb fingers and trembling hands in a howling wind.  Guiding was provided by a Kenko SkyMemo on a home-made tripod mount, with manual adjustments as needed to compensate for lunar orbital motion.  All images were processed and aligned with Planetary Imaging PreProcessor, version 2.5.9, with image evaluation and selection via PixInsight, version 1.08.06. 

The video commences before first penumbral contact, P1, and continues until after last penumbral contact, P4.  The speed of the time lapse decreases during the umbral phases between U1 and U2, and U3 and U4, and is further decreased for totality between U2 and U3 in order to better show the more interesting aspects of the eclipse. 

Special thanks to my wife, JoAnn, for making a run for batteries after the cold killed both my sets, and for the use of her RoadTrek camper as a wind break and warming room in between adjustments in exposure.

I hope you enjoy it.

Brett

• Starman27, Scott Mitchell, gfeulner and 12 others like this

#2 suttonjp

suttonjp

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Afton, Iowa

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this.

#3 Manny1

Manny1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Very nice,excellent   waytogo.gif I was unable, to many  clouds 

Edited by Manny1, 21 January 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#4 Tyson M

Tyson M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing!

#5 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Vanguard

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

Very nice!! Well done!

#6 Tom K

Tom K

Mariner 2

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

Nice - I too was clouded out.   Glad to see someone got to see it!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics